[Q] Camera sucks on M8 GPe

Search This thread

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
There's no way around it, the camera on my M8 GPe sucks. I even had to switch to my old Nexus 4 just now to get a picture that was decent. This was mainly due to the Nexus 4 lighting the flash while focusing which the M8 GPe doesn't. Not sure why, they should work the same...

But I believe the overall quality was better on the few pictures I took while I was on stock. So is this possible to fix? With a new camera app maybe?

nycebo

Sep 15, 2010
New York, NY
There's no way around it, the camera on my M8 GPe sucks. I even had to switch to my old Nexus 4 just now to get a picture that was decent. This was mainly due to the Nexus 4 lighting the flash while focusing which the M8 GPe doesn't. Not sure why, they should work the same...

But I believe the overall quality was better on the few pictures I took while I was on stock. So is this possible to fix? With a new camera app maybe?

Can't say I much disagree with you here. The One GPe is pretty damn nice except for the camera. The Sense version of the camera that I played with in the store was better. My problem is that the flash doesn't seem to illuminate subjects at all, particularly if you need to take a photo of a business card or wine label in a darker room. As a result, I've been using VSCO much more often (which I generally used only for 'artistic' subjects. Sorry I don't have a better solution for you.

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
Google should force the manufacturers to give out all apps included in the stock versions through Google Play and make them available to the GPe versions...
I hope Android Silver will be the solution for this problem.

dannejanne

Mar 23, 2011
Norrköping, Sweden
Stock Google camera sucks donkey balls. Excuse me for my choice of words but it's true and we all know it. A big weakness of any GPE phone or Nexus phones for that matter.

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
i will agree its not the best, BUT are we taking pro shots here ? its a mobile phone not a camera

That's actually the point. I'm not taking pro shots by any means and it's still not usable pictures. Last time I couldn't get the focus right since it doesn't flash the LED during focus. I'm not sure why anyone would accept blurry pictures no matter what they were supposed to be for.

Phones of the same price gets better pictures and cheaper phones with stock Android gets better pictures. And when HTC makes a big deal about "ultrapixels" we are entitled to complain.

rbouza1

May 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6
That's actually the point. I'm not taking pro shots by any means and it's still not usable pictures. Last time I couldn't get the focus right since it doesn't flash the LED during focus. I'm not sure why anyone would accept blurry pictures no matter what they were supposed to be for.

Phones of the same price gets better pictures and cheaper phones with stock Android gets better pictures. And when HTC makes a big deal about "ultrapixels" we are entitled to complain.

i can live with that. we do have a flagship and with googles os id expect only the best.

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Just outside of Manchester UK
I took a wander over the the pictures thread. Some pretty impressive pics in there for what is effect a 4mp camera. I'm on GPE and don't have any issues with it. Clear, sharp and focused.

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
I took a wander over the the pictures thread. Some pretty impressive pics in there for what is effect a 4mp camera. I'm on GPE and don't have any issues with it. Clear, sharp and focused.

Are those taken with a Sense M8 or GPe M8? My main complaint is that the GPe is worse than stock.

Radixtrator

Jan 30, 2013
Are those taken with a Sense M8 or GPe M8? My main complaint is that the GPe is worse than stock.

I actually made direct comparison phots between a GPE Camera and the Sense camera and the pictures were pretty much identical. The photos only seem a lot better in sense camera because the viewfinder shows better pictures. If you actually take them and look at them in the gallery, they are pretty much identical.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
I actually made direct comparison phots between a GPE Camera and the Sense camera and the pictures were pretty much identical. The photos only seem a lot better in sense camera because the viewfinder shows better pictures. If you actually take them and look at them in the gallery, they are pretty much identical.

My personal opinion is that it's harder to get a good picture with GPe. Slower shutter, harder to focus etc. If everything gets right I assume both versions are able to make equally good pictures since it's the same hardware.

Radixtrator

Jan 30, 2013
My personal opinion is that it's harder to get a good picture with GPe. Slower shutter, harder to focus etc. If everything gets right I assume both versions are able to make equally good pictures since it's the same hardware.

I totally agree. The Google Camera App is complete Garbage. I would be SO happy, if someone figures out how to port the One plus One camera