[q] urgent! Bricked phone after attempting to install ktoonz

Search This thread
Sep 24, 2013
I just flashed C-Rom 6.6 and it worked well. I went to flash Ktoonez after, it said there was an error so I rebooted. Now it's just a black screen with a short sequence of beeps. I'm running an MDK phone using TWRP. If anyone can please help, I thank you in advance.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I just flashed C-Rom 6.6 and it worked well. I went to flash Ktoonez after, it said there was an error so I rebooted. Now it's just a black screen with a short sequence of beeps. I'm running an MDK phone using TWRP. If anyone can please help, I thank you in advance.

I've ran the latest C ROM with KT kernel with no problems. Have you tried pulling the battery and waiting a minute or two then putting it back in and try to get back into TWRP?? You should be able to. What you did should not brick the phone... It just probably isn't going to boot normally with errors after a kernel flash.

I'd try that and maybe update your TWRP if needed. Then re download the kernel and make sure it's the AOSP-Kit Kat version.

Reflash ROM+ new kernel and you should be good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sep 24, 2013
I've ran the latest C ROM with KT kernel with no problems. Have you tried pulling the battery and waiting a minute or two then putting it back in and try to get back into TWRP?? You should be able to. What you did should not brick the phone... It just probably isn't going to boot normally with errors after a kernel flash.

I'd try that and maybe update your TWRP if needed. Then re download the kernel and make sure it's the AOSP-Kit Kat version.

Reflash ROM+ new kernel and you should be good.

Yeah it stays on a black screen with a single short vibration. it repeats this until I pull the battery.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Yeah it stays on a black screen with a single short vibration. it repeats this until I pull the battery.

So you cannot get it back into recovery.?? And have you tried download mode?

When it's looping like that sometimes I have to keep holding the vol up and power button a little longer than normal for it to get into TWRP

dopediculous

Feb 21, 2011
Columbus
I did something like this and totally borked my S4. I accidentally flashed a note2 kernel and when it said that there was an error, I disregarded it and rebooted. Big mistake! I needed to get a replacement. Just letting ya know that you're probably out of luck. Because it was so borked and odin couldnt fix it, i was worried that I'd be charged for rooting it. (I'm a corporate VZW rep) but i sent it back anyways and crossed my fingers. Took one day to get replacement and all was well. Luckily my replacement was an MDK, so i was able to immediately root the replacement =)

Good luck man.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur

When it's looping like that sometimes I have to keep holding the vol up and power button a little longer than normal for it to get into TWRP

usually people let go of the buttons too soon....has to be a major bork to not get into odin mode

dopediculous

Feb 21, 2011
Columbus
usually people let go of the buttons too soon....has to be a major bork to not get into odin mode

When it happened to me, I couldn't do ANYTHING. No download mode, no recovery NOTHING! totally sucked. I was so pissed that I rebooted. Tell ya what though. Only takes ONE time for this to happen to ya and you'll never do it again. *Sigh, first world problems... Ahaha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sep 24, 2013
Yeah unfortunately I think i'm SOL ):

I tried holding the home button, power, and volume up keys and it still does the same thing - black screen with just the vibrations. ugh. I still have my old Droid Razr though. Good thing I didn't toss that!

Thanks for the replies though. I'll probably buy another S4 in the next month or so.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma

I tried holding the home button, power, and volume up keys and it still does the same thing - black screen with just the vibrations. ugh. I still have my old Droid Razr though. Good thing I didn't toss that!

Thanks for the replies though. I'll probably buy another S4 in the next month or so.

I just had the same thing happen to me a week ago or so when I was flashing a kernel that was supposedly for my phone, however it wasn't.

It took me quite a few battery pulls and continuous attempts at getting into recovery.

When you pull the battery and wait a few then try to get into recovery are you still seeing the little blue words stating that it's booting into recovery? And did you get the unauthorized software detected screen? Or yours is just looping and vibrating and that's it?!

I'm not saying you guys are all wrong and I know anything is possible but after a battery pull and waiting a minute you should be able to at least get into download mode even if flashing that kernel somehow borked your recovery ... I would think.

cbmggm

May 1, 2011
Scottsdale AZ

Flashing the wrong kernel not meant for your phone model will cause this to happen. If you can't get into Download mode you are probably screwed.

Just make sure you are attempting Download Mode properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yp47DV4UuQ&feature=youtu.be

Sep 24, 2013
OMG so i hit the power button, home key, and volume down and got to the "custom OS warning" screen!!! It's alive somewhat!! Where do I go from here?!

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
OMG so i hit the power button, home key, and volume down and got to the "custom OS warning" screen!!! It's alive somewhat!! Where do I go from here?!

The "Custom" warning is irrelevant. If it boots, you're done.

As usual, if you care about the "Custom" warning, revert to factory stock. :)

(You can remove that warning using Triangle Away "Periodic system modified reset" or the Wanam security hacks.)

Sep 24, 2013
The "Custom" warning is irrelevant. If it boots, you're done.

As usual, if you care about the "Custom" warning, revert to factory stock. :)

(You can remove that warning using Triangle Away "Periodic system modified reset" or the Wanam security hacks.)

so wait, what should i do from the screen? hit volume up to "install custom OS"?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I hit volume key down to reboot and it just goes back to black screen with short vibrations. I'm scared to hit the volume up...

With the phone off hit Volume Down + Power once the download mode screen pops up you'd be hitting Volume Up to continue. Nothing to be scared of. At that point youd need to use Odin. Have you used Odin before?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
not since i first got the phone a year ago o_O any quick links to refresh my memory on how to use it?

OK start here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49334432

There's a lot of great info and more links in that thread

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Here's the MDK Odin file
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41680619

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

And the root method for MDK
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41718523

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I did something like this and totally borked my S4. I accidentally flashed a note2 kernel and when it said that there was an error, I disregarded it and rebooted. Big mistake! I needed to get a replacement. Just letting ya know that you're probably out of luck. Because it was so borked and odin couldnt fix it, i was worried that I'd be charged for rooting it. (I'm a corporate VZW rep) but i sent it back anyways and crossed my fingers. Took one day to get replacement and all was well. Luckily my replacement was an MDK, so i was able to immediately root the replacement =)

Good luck man.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I just had the same thing happen to me a week ago or so when I was flashing a kernel that was supposedly for my phone, however it wasn't.

It took me quite a few battery pulls and continuous attempts at getting into recovery.

When you pull the battery and wait a few then try to get into recovery are you still seeing the little blue words stating that it's booting into recovery? And did you get the unauthorized software detected screen? Or yours is just looping and vibrating and that's it?!

I'm not saying you guys are all wrong and I know anything is possible but after a battery pull and waiting a minute you should be able to at least get into download mode even if flashing that kernel somehow borked your recovery ... I would think.

Flashing the wrong kernel not meant for your phone model will cause this to happen. If you can't get into Download mode you are probably screwed.

Just make sure you are attempting Download Mode properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yp47DV4UuQ&feature=youtu.be