What would make you want an iPhone?

Search This thread
J

justinisloco

Don't rip my head off for this one.

I'm on vacation, and have to out my phone in airplane mode for the week. I can only do hangouts with people who either have the app, or have android, and use the app. My gf on the other hand, can iMessage all of her friends, video chat with all her friends, etc. Also, my work emails will only work on iPhone, or on android with an outdated gingerbread styled app.

My question is this -

Hypothetically, if the iPhone had a 5" screen, and allowed widgets and launchers, what would you need the iPhone to have in order for you to switch?

I don't think I would switch because I love the look of android, but I feel like I'm waiting for the OS to unify better between OEM makers, and that doesn't seem to be in the near future. I'm jut curious about everyone else's thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMean

Jul 22, 2013
Milton, Ontario
iOS suckssss. Its boring. There's no customizability. The hardware is nice though, but android manufacturers are now starting to also make some really nice hardware as well.

Only way I'd take iPhone is if I could flash KitKat on it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Nothing would make me want an iPhone. Not now not ever. That thing is insanely pointless, and has crappy software with random bugs. Not even the hardware is good and it costs a fortune.

I'd guess making expensive apps so all the rich and upper middle class people would buy them.. Cause rich people constantly know nothing about technology and populate themselves with iDevices just because they think it's good because it's expensive and popular.

jj14

Mar 5, 2008
I'm on vacation, and have to out my phone in airplane mode for the week. I can only do hangouts with people who either have the app, or have android, and use the app. My gf on the other hand, can iMessage all of her friends, video chat with all her friends, etc. Also, my work emails will only work on iPhone, or on android with an outdated gingerbread styled app.

You could have used Google Voice app to text (SMS) your friends (regardless of whether they had iMessage or Hangouts installed), and could have used hangouts/skype for video chatting.

Work Emails, well, yeah, that sucks, My employer (over 75000 employees worldwide) doesn't have an Android app to access the secure network. When some employees (on a quarterly call with a few thousand employees) asked a senior VP "Why no android app", he responded, and I quote, "because as you all know, Android is so easily hacked, and is insecure". Numbnuts!

Yes, I (along with several others) sent Emails to him explaining the facts (and he said that he'll talk to the IT team to see what was needed to get an Android app developed), but the point is that Android development has been on the backburner for many corporations for many (stupid) reasons.

Would I switch to iPhone? If they provided the ability to use launchers/widgets, *and* the ability to sideload apps, *and* the ability to install adaway type apps, *and* the ability to use tasker type app, and they had the screen size that I wanted, and had deep Google Now integration, sure, why not... It would just be another "Android" phone by that time :)

Last edited:
J

justinisloco

You could have used Google Voice app to text (SMS) your friends (regardless of whether they had iMessage or Hangouts installed), and could have used hangouts/skype for video chatting.

Work Emails, well, yeah, that sucks, My employer (over 75000 employees worldwide) doesn't have an Android app to access the secure network. When some employees (on a quarterly call with a few thousand employees) asked a senior VP "Why no android app", he responded, and I quote, "because as you all know, Android is so easily hacked, and is insecure". Numbnuts!

Yes, I (along with several others) sent Emails to him explaining the facts (and he said that he'll talk to the IT team to see what was needed to get an Android app developed), but the point is that Android development has been on the backburner for many corporations for many (stupid) reasons.

Would I switch to iPhone? If they provided the ability to use launchers/widgets, *and* the ability to sideload apps, *and* the ability to install adaway type apps, *and* the ability to use tasker type app, and they had the screen size that I wanted, and had deep Google Now integration, sure, why not... It would just be another "Android" phone by that time :)

See, that's the beauty and beast about android. I love that you can sideload or install an app to do what you want to do, but I don't like the fact that its not integrated better. That's the thing that made me (consider) the iPhone.

For things that I really wish Google would do, is force OEM makers to do specific things to the OS of the phone. For example, integrate hangouts as the main texting app, that way we android users can hangout with each other. The user can download their own texting app if they choose, but at least make the stock one hangouts. Because almost all my android friends have Samsung's, and I have yet to see hangouts being used by them.

jj14

Mar 5, 2008
See, that's the beauty and beast about android. I love that you can sideload or install an app to do what you want to do, but I don't like the fact that its not integrated better. That's the thing that made me (consider) the iPhone.

For things that I really wish Google would do, is force OEM makers to do specific things to the OS of the phone. For example, integrate hangouts as the main texting app, that way we android users can hangout with each other. The user can download their own texting app if they choose, but at least make the stock one hangouts. Because almost all my android friends have Samsung's, and I have yet to see hangouts being used by them.

Thing is, some people (me included) like the fact that Google doesn't (yet) force me to use a specific app for a specific purpose. Samsung/HTC and others do bundle their own apps (that can't be uninstalled), and most users call that bloat.

It is rumored that Google will bring VoIP calling capability to Hangouts in the near future (as it did for iOS last year). Once that happens, I would expect more users would install Hangouts (even if it wasn't installed by default). Whether they use it as their texting app would depend on them, but at least you would still be able to use video hangouts with your friends then.

About your first few statements - what is not integrated? From what I know about iOS, Google's integration is just as good (if not better), without taking away the ability of the user to choose a different app for a specific need. Unlike iOS, Android allows you to choose the default app for any action. In my opinion, that provides the best integration.

J

justinisloco

Thing is, some people (me included) like the fact that Google doesn't (yet) force me to use a specific app for a specific purpose. Samsung/HTC and others do bundle their own apps (that can't be uninstalled), and most users call that bloat.

It is rumored that Google will bring VoIP calling capability to Hangouts in the near future (as it did for iOS last year). Once that happens, I would expect more users would install Hangouts (even if it wasn't installed by default). Whether they use it as their texting app would depend on them, but at least you would still be able to use video hangouts with your friends then.

About your first few statements - what is not integrated? From what I know about iOS, Google's integration is just as good (if not better), without taking away the ability of the user to choose a different app for a specific need. Unlike iOS, Android allows you to choose the default app for any action. In my opinion, that provides the best integration.

The default app switching is the biggest part keeping me where I belong. I know I switched to am iPhone for a week and it was the worst.

This Whole thread, by the way, is not to convince me to keep my phone. I love this phone, but just was curious what would make you hardcore android fans switch.

Edit -as far as the bloat, its not bloat I'm talking about, I meant specifically the text app

Jockson

Jan 4, 2011
Hmm, to be honest, an iPhone with 5" screen and widgets/launchers would probably be enough for me to make the switch. Although the OS would still be very "limited" compared to Android, I don't think I would be too bothered about it. It simply just works better and smoother than Android does or will. People can post benchmarks all they want, or videos comparing app opening times which in reality don't mean that much, but the fact is, the overall experience is a lot smoother on iOS. Even Nexus 5 still lags and stutters when scrolling which is pretty amazing considering the hardware that is inside.

raptir

May 4, 2010
Hangouts comes preinstalled on any Android device that has the Play Store now (I believe... but at least the big flagships like the Galaxy S5, HTC One, Nexus 5, etc...). Your friends may not use it, but it's there :laugh: I think it's been said, but the only reason iMessage/Facetime seems more integrated is that Apple forces you to use it. If Google changed it so that all Android phones had to use Hangouts and alternatives couldn't be installed by the user (there are alternatives for the iPhone, but you need to jailbreak and use Cydia to install them), then I'm sure all of your friends would be using Hangouts. But you'd also upset a lot of Android users who like the choice.

I do think it's ridiculous that Hangouts for iPhone has voice call capability while Hangouts for Android does not.

Anyway, to get me to switch there would need to be a lot of changes. Bigger screen, better support for alternative apps (SMS, dialer, browsers that aren't just interface swaps with the same backend, launcher, etc...), a more complete interface overhaul, access to apps installed from outside the app store (without jailbreaking), NFC support, something like Tasker...

frazbox

Feb 3, 2012
In my country where many people are switching to android, they still don't use Hangout. It all depends on the messing service that is used by all and that's WhatsApp here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

J

justinisloco

Hangouts comes preinstalled on any Android device that has the Play Store now (I believe... but at least the big flagships like the Galaxy S5, HTC One, Nexus 5, etc...). Your friends may not use it, but it's there :laugh: I think it's been said, but the only reason iMessage/Facetime seems more integrated is that Apple forces you to use it. If Google changed it so that all Android phones had to use Hangouts and alternatives couldn't be installed by the user (there are alternatives for the iPhone, but you need to jailbreak and use Cydia to install them), then I'm sure all of your friends would be using Hangouts. But you'd also upset a lot of Android users who like the choice.

I do think it's ridiculous that Hangouts for iPhone has voice call capability while Hangouts for Android does not.

Anyway, to get me to switch there would need to be a lot of changes. Bigger screen, better support for alternative apps (SMS, dialer, browsers that aren't just interface swaps with the same backend, launcher, etc...), a more complete interface overhaul, access to apps installed from outside the app store (without jailbreaking), NFC support, something like Tasker...

I think it would be nice to force that as the stock messaging app, but give users the choice to change it via the market. But that way, my not so techy friends can actually start using hangouts with integration and the techy ones can figure out how to use other messaging apps if they prefer.

raptir

May 4, 2010
I think it would be nice to force that as the stock messaging app, but give users the choice to change it via the market. But that way, my not so techy friends can actually start using hangouts with integration and the techy ones can figure out how to use other messaging apps if they prefer.

Well, that's how Google handles the Nexus phones, but that's far more control than they have exerted on manufacturer skinned phones. Samsung already doesn't like that they need to include all of the Google apps (apart from the play store) alongside their own, I think that enforcing that they be the default would cause an issue. Especially with Samsung's market share of Android phones.

kmar22

Nov 4, 2010
what would make me want an iphone...hmm...maybe if it wasnt an iphone...that is all.

G

GuestD0701

They'd have to become fully open source for me to even think about it and even then.. Na shock treatment is the only way. ;P Females tend to prefer iphones more than males i think. At least more females that I know use them vs males who i know and they will NOT switch.. My wife, ex now had to have one so i bought her one when we were together. Wasn't impressed with anything but the camera and now Android is just as good in that department.. Android rules!! \m/ Been with Android since the G1.. I have so much love and respect for open source and the customization of Android blows apple off the map.. We can tweak our devices 100% with root, custom roms, kernels and themes.. Aosp is just too great imo.

There are so many apps im sure you can find something that will get the job done..

A great story buy one cool guy... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wYgofunq3OE

Sent from my CKat Nexus V

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
Don't rip my head off for this one.

My question is this -

Hypothetically, if the iPhone had a 5" screen, and allowed widgets and launchers, what would you need the iPhone to have in order for you to switch?

I don't think I would switch because I love the look of android, but I feel like I'm waiting for the OS to unify better between OEM makers, and that doesn't seem to be in the near future. I'm jut curious about everyone else's thoughts.

The ability to obtain root access through means other than exploits that Apple patches as fast as they can. If that were possible, along with some more customization, I might consider it. And a price drop. Way too expensive.