THAT Kitkat Audio Bug - Hissing/Crackling.

Search This thread

famanfwppc

Oct 19, 2007
Ancona
I would like to remind everyone, if possible, to carry out the test with the song that I have indicated, as with any other song mastered with average volume will have much more difficulty appreciating the flaw. That said, if you say it's no more there, I believe you all and thank you.

EDIT: further testing: if you have a bluetooth headset listen to the same song with this and with the supplied headphones or listen to it on headphones on the PC and then on the phone with the headphones supplied.

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

I hope this isnt planned obsolescence.

For me it's LG's personnel unplanned premature deafness.

Last edited:

sradtke

May 29, 2014
LG Support of little help

I purchased my phone in NZ about a month ago and have been having the same issues after upgrading to 4.4.2. (D802T20b-AUS-XX)

It's not really noticeable on LG's Quadbeats but quite obvious on my Shure 535's and Logitech UE 9000.

I decided to follow the official channels by sending LG an e-mail only to find that you can only send them information via a submission on their webpage which is capped at 1,000 characters. So i did this and when I went to submit it, the website came back with that fact that it was undergoing maintenance and my whole message was lost which was annoying to say the least.

Anyway, I gave them a call on their 0800 number and spoke to one of the 'support team' who kept telling me I needed to reset my phone and then perform a system recovery. I kept telling him that the issue was the software update and not a setting on the phone. I guess he got sick of me because he said quickly blurted out "HaveanicedaythankyouforcallingLG." and hung up.

Has anyone else in Australia/New Zealand had any luck escalating this issue with LG? I would rather avoid rooting my phone to resolve the issue as I'm concerned about bricking it.

Cheers.

B

bachera

I purchased my phone in NZ about a month ago and have been having the same issues after upgrading to 4.4.2. (D802T20b-AUS-XX)

It's not really noticeable on LG's Quadbeats but quite obvious on my Shure 535's and Logitech UE 9000.

I decided to follow the official channels by sending LG an e-mail only to find that you can only send them information via a submission on their webpage which is capped at 1,000 characters. So i did this and when I went to submit it, the website came back with that fact that it was undergoing maintenance and my whole message was lost which was annoying to say the least.

Anyway, I gave them a call on their 0800 number and spoke to one of the 'support team' who kept telling me I needed to reset my phone and then perform a system recovery. I kept telling him that the issue was the software update and not a setting on the phone. I guess he got sick of me because he said quickly blurted out "HaveanicedaythankyouforcallingLG." and hung up.

Has anyone else in Australia/New Zealand had any luck escalating this issue with LG? I would rather avoid rooting my phone to resolve the issue as I'm concerned about bricking it.

Cheers.

thanks bro, the more do this the higher numbers and weight this issue gets to get resolved. If I can give you a tip, via any webform, always copy before submit your message, have had it to many times my wonder text got lost.

takkischitt

May 30, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5
Hi folks

Just to let you know, this happens with 4.2.2 on my Nexus 4, so it must be Android related. In my old car, I'd plug the audio jack into the phone to listen to Spotify when driving and the left speakers would always have this noticable high pitched noise. I would also hear it with 3rd party earphones. Really annoying.

soulreaver1

Jul 30, 2012
Warsaw
I'm still on 4.2.2 just because it sounds perfect with my high end Ultimate Ears UE900 iems. I would never buy a phone with such audio flaws (as it is on 4.4) and I will never buy any LG product again if they won't fix it.

Reactions: mannequin

soulreaver1

Jul 30, 2012
Warsaw
it's not LG's fault. blame Google, 4.4 brought nothing but issues.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

You could be right but somehow the issue is not present on other kitkat powered devices like HTC One m8 or Xperia Z2. It looks like it is caused by the new audio routing (low latency audio etc.) that was introduced in KK but can by fixed as the htc shows.

Lemonato

Aug 19, 2009
For anyone who is rooted (probably most), try G2 Tweaksbox

It has a function under sound tweaks to reduce hissing with KK. Not sure if you will need to purchase it first, I did before I found the setting so I don't know if it was available before buying. But worth the $2 anyway.

Before it was really obvious when playing something with a quiet part but now I can't hear it at all. Much easier fix than installing a custom recovery, then upgrading to 20d, then possibly losing apps/settings, then trying out different kernels, etc.

Hope it works for others here. Otherwise check out the full thread for tweaksbox which apparently has a full fix.

I'm running KOT49I.D802T20b

Last edited:
B

bachera

For anyone who is rooted (probably most), try G2 Tweaksbox

It has a function under sound tweaks to reduce hissing with KK. Not sure if you will need to purchase it first, I did before I found the setting so I don't know if it was available before buying. But worth the $2 anyway.

Before it was really obvious when playing something with a quiet part but now I can't hear it at all. Much easier fix than installing a custom recovery, then upgrading to 20d, then possibly losing apps/settings, then trying out different kernels, etc.

Hope it works for others here. Otherwise check out the full thread for tweaksbox which apparently has a full fix.

I'm running KOT49I.D802T20b

the hissing is gone, but the sound is still not that great. On stock at least when I tried it.

Voje

Jun 9, 2011
Kristiansand
The tweaksbox solution lowered the hissing, so now it doesn't bother me that much. But it also lowered the sound drastically..

But definitely a step in the right direction!

Sent fra min LG-D802 via Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

After doing a difference compare between the mixer_path.xml from the tweaksbox thread and mahdi's mixer_path.xml, and changing the values which differed - not the code, but just the values - I now have regular sound volume, and the hissing is almost unbearable..

Very nice!

Maybe get dr87 to take a look at the difference in code would get us somewhere?

But I have to say that I am curious as to what the tick in tweaksbox does...

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Haha, not unbearable, but unHearable!

B

bachera

The tweaksbox solution lowered the hissing, so now it doesn't bother me that much. But it also lowered the sound drastically..

But definitely a step in the right direction!

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

After doing a difference compare between the mixer_path.xml from the tweaksbox thread and mahdi's mixer_path.xml, and changing the values which differed - not the code, but just the values - I now have regular sound volume, and the hissing is almost unbearable..

Very nice!

Maybe get dr87 to take a look at the difference in code would get us somewhere?

But I have to say that I am curious as to what the tick in tweaksbox does...

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Haha, not unbearable, but unHearable!

yeah dr87 uses different stuff (nexus 5) then the stock rom to fix it. Its a lot better then stock if pure dr87. Dont think stock/ mahdi hybrid is possible. Still has some small issues thought as its beta. Great nonetheless. None troubling enough for me.

Voje

Jun 9, 2011
Kristiansand
I think you misunderstood.

I run latest mahdi, and still have the hissing issue.
But after applying tweaksbox and the comparing and changing of values in mixer_path.xml, my mahdi setup is now a lot better.

I'll experiment some more, but it seems like they have found something which drastically betters the situation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As i am sure most of you are aware a lot of D802 users are now receiving kitkat updates. It doesn't seem to matter what version/country this bug is definitely present. Currently you will have to downgade to Jellybean if you can't live with it. I want to gather some info so here we go.

What is this bug.?

A crackling/hissing noise most noticeable in the left ear when using headphones. It isn't present until you actually play something.

How can i reproduce this bug?

Easy plug in some headphones and play some music. When music is playing the noise is most noticeable for me at LOWER volumes below the 50% mark. Easiest way to hear it is play the song even if it's just one second and then pause. For at least 5-10 seconds after pausing it the hissing will continue.

How can we fix it?

It is definitely a software not hardware issue as the noise was not present (or at least not as prominent) in Jellybean roms. I'm not holding my breath for a fix from LG at all so we need to all dig together. For a start if someone is still on Jellybean i would appreciate a copy of your build.prop and /system/etc just so i can have a compare of those between JB and KK. If it's more related to the audio libs then i'm out of my depth!

Update. It seems that the issue is a lot less common when using the LG Quadbeat headphones that came with the phone.

LG UK tweeted a reply to this issue stating that they will pass it on to their R+D department and they will look after us as customers.

Please try and tweet LG in your territory too but please don't spam them.
    Bruce have you any plans for development on this device? I remember using CM by you on my sensation xe I think it was...

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Yes, i was the one that bought jb to the sensation.

I will be working on the g2, maybe a kernel, but i might look into optimizing the stock rom a bit too.

Ok so unplug your headphones. Click reboot on your device. When your device will reboot plug the headphones. Go to dial keypad. Look about what sound keypad keys like 2,5,0,#. Delete all what you typed. Type in dial 3845#*802#, it will show Hidden Menu.
    Click on ELT Test, switch to Manual Mode and click Test Start.
    With pluged headphones Click on Audio Loopback to mark it and than click Test Start. Say something or blow breathe to all of your microphones (1st on top right, 2nd on bottom left near jack and 3rd on your headphones). Stay on test more than 20 seconds with saying or blowing breathe.
    Click STOP, than do same with Audio loopback Mic1 Mic2 and Mic3 ( start test and blow breathe).
    After all loopback test leave service menu and play some music.
    Bull****.
    80220f here and sound is perfectly clear. Get your facts straight before ****talking

Are you serious? Calm down! If one thing is apparent, it is that this affects different phones differently, and that is depends on what headphones you use, and so on.

Never seen such rude behavior... I'm appalled..
    LG support in Sweden just informed me that the bug has a fix, it is being integrated into an update and should be released soon.. No specific date, though