KFU failed, kindle bricked, help please!

Search This thread

TheNerdWizard

Jun 1, 2014
I never rooted a device before and I have been wanting to access google play on my kindle. Earlier today I discovered KFU. The first thing I did with it was the root option. After a few reboots, KFU said "waiting for device" and nothing else happened. Also my computer no longer recognizes my kindle fire. What should I do?

Important Information:
Yes, I have a first gen kindle fire.
I kept on getting a corrupted KFU zip when I downloaded it. I thought I fixed it when a use a zip fixer tool.
I got the KFU from the guild from this forum.
All the version I download had the same problem when unzipping, corruption.
I am a noob at this since I never done this before, I wan to make this clear, so don't assume much when responding please.
I have eclipse and I have downloaded all the necessary files from the SDK manager and more since I use eclipse for college.
My computer uses windows 8.
I have a windows 7 vm.
I used the KFU on windows 8, I now realized I should have done it on the vm.
Before I tried to root it, I made a backuped all the files located within it.
Almost forgot to mention that it no longer goes past the kindle fire logo when I restart it.

I don't know if this is enough information, so feel free to ask anything.

pinkLeviosa

May 5, 2014
what do you use to backup your files?:)
did you try to restore your device using your backup files?

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I never rooted a device before and I have been wanting to access google play on my kindle. Earlier today I discovered KFU. The first thing I did with it was the root option. After a few reboots, KFU said "waiting for device" and nothing else happened. Also my computer no longer recognizes my kindle fire. What should I do?
open device manager (start menu>control panel>hardware>device manager) with kindle powered on and connected to pc, look for kindle< douple click on it, select drivers tab, click on uninstall< check uninstall driver, ok
My computer uses windows 8.
there is a thread on getting drivers installed on win 8 [HOW-TO] Amazon Kindle Fire Signed Driver for WinXP/Vista/7/8/8.1
Important Information:
Yes, I have a first gen kindle fire.
should be listed in More> Device>serial umber will start with D01E
I kept on getting a corrupted KFU zip when I downloaded it. I thought I fixed it when a use a zip fixer tool.
when downloading android files, you should verify md5 checksum see my https://sites.google.com/site/sdshadowscollection/home/hash-checksums
Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9.zip = MD5 Sum: a20011995d115c3b2d66dcc92303031e
or use the Mega link mega will verify the file for you.
I got the KFU from the guild from this forum.
All the version I download had the same problem when unzipping, corruption.
I am a noob at this since I never done this before, I wan to make this clear, so don't assume much when responding please.
I have eclipse and I have downloaded all the necessary files from the SDK manager and more since I use eclipse for college.
I have a windows 7 vm.
I used the KFU on windows 8, I now realized I should have done it on the vm.
not sure if vm will work, may
Before I tried to root it, I made a backuped all the files located within it.
Almost forgot to mention that it no longer goes past the kindle fire logo when I restart it.
that makes it more difficult, probably because you repaired the KFU zip
try fixing drivers, then try
redownload KFU from the Mega link
connect Kindle
run KFU's run.bat
select install twrp
if nothing happens, may need to power down kindle, and power back on
may need to restart KFU a few times

if that does not work
may need to use fastboot manually see my Fastboot.exe with Windows Command Prompt

TheNerdWizard

Jun 1, 2014
open device manager (start menu>control panel>hardware>device manager) with kindle powered on and connected to pc, look for kindle< douple click on it, select drivers tab, click on uninstall< check uninstall driver, ok

there is a thread on getting drivers installed on win 8 [HOW-TO] Amazon Kindle Fire Signed Driver for WinXP/Vista/7/8/8.1
should be listed in More> Device>serial umber will start with D01E
when downloading android files, you should verify md5 checksum see my https://sites.google.com/site/sdshadowscollection/home/hash-checksums
Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9.zip = MD5 Sum: a20011995d115c3b2d66dcc92303031e
or use the Mega link mega will verify the file for you.
not sure if vm will work, may
that makes it more difficult, probably because you repaired the KFU zip
try fixing drivers, then try
redownload KFU from the Mega link
connect Kindle
run KFU's run.bat
select install twrp
if nothing happens, may need to power down kindle, and power back on
may need to restart KFU a few times

if that does not work
may need to use fastboot manually see my Fastboot.exe with Windows Command Prompt

You didn't listen to me. My kindle won't connect to the computer any more since it can't finish booting. Meaning I can't install anything on it. The kindle drivers are fine. The kindle is half rooted due to the rooting fail.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Frequently Asked Questions - Amazon Kindle Fire
Q16: What does it mean when my device is stuck at the Kindle Fire logo?
It depends on which Kindle Fire logo you're talking about. If you're talking about the Kindle Fire logo that stays brightly lit without any change in brightness, it means the device is in fastboot mode. Just change the bootmode to normal or recovery and reboot. If you are unable to change the bootmode, then you need to fix your drivers. If the Kindle Fire logo you're talking about flashes and goes dim after being brightly lit for a few seconds, then your device is trying to boot normally to a malfunctioning operating system, likely caused by not wiping the data partition (factory reset) before flashing a ROM. If that's the case, you will likely need a factory cable to get into fastboot mode so you can access or (if needed) install custom recovery, then reinstall a ROM properly.

TheNerdWizard

Jun 1, 2014
I know what I need to do now. I need to get a factory fastboot cable. That will allow me to access my kindle and fix the problems I have. Thank you for trying to help though.

pinkLeviosa

May 5, 2014
Last edited: