[Q] G2 (4.4.2) and predicting "rootability" of bootloader on G3

Search This thread

USFguy

Mar 5, 2011
Tampa
This is for people like me (Verizon/AT&T) who are concerned with the recent trend with these companies to make the bootloader harder to get into than Ft. Knox on the GS5.

I'm on an HTC One XL and have tried to catch up a little but for those coming from the G2 to the G3 are you concerned about the inablity to flash custom kernals? From what I gathered the exploit was to downgrade firmware to pre 4.4.2 in order to gain access and seeing how the G3 won't know anything other than 4.4.2 is there reason to be concerned that there won't be any rooting?

Reactions: catlog

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
I wouldn't mind about not having immediate kernel/ROM support, all I want is root and the ability to tether!

Reactions: fgcchevy

postal302

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville
I wouldn't mind about not having immediate kernel/ROM support, all I want is root and the ability to tether!

I agree 100% I've been a Samsung guy for a while now, but the inability to even root Verizon's S5 is turning me away. Give me the ability to root, remove bloat and make subtle adjustments at my discretion and I'm happy. To be able to flash ROMs and kernels and I'm that much happier!

flyhighx

Nov 9, 2008
Mods, There is a similar thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2764187 maybe merge the two? I wasn't sure which to post this in but,

Coming off 2 generations of HTC phones and leaning toward the G3, I'm wondering about updates after root. With HTC, if you rooted your phone you had to use a custom ROM, even if it was a stock custom ROM to ever get updates. If you over the air updated, you could loose root. Is that how it would work with LG? What would be the point of rooting an LG if you can't unlock the bootloader? Would you be stuck with a rooted phone that never receives any updates?

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
Mods, There is a similar thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2764187 maybe merge the two? I wasn't sure which to post this in but,

Coming off 2 generations of HTC phones and leaning toward the G3, I'm wondering about updates after root. With HTC, if you rooted your phone you had to use a custom ROM, even if it was a stock custom ROM to ever get updates. If you over the air updated, you could loose root. Is that how it would work with LG? What would be the point of rooting an LG if you can't unlock the bootloader? Would you be stuck with a rooted phone that never receives any updates?

Thats how it worked with the LG Flex; if you were rooted, you have to restore to factory stock, then get the update...fortunately, you could root while on 4.2, then get the OTA update to 4.4. But there is no custom recovery and no roms for 4.4, so at this point, there is zero dev going on for that phone, except what might be going on behind the scenes..
The G3 should be more popular, so hopefully with more people working on bypassing the LG security scheme, it might not be as horrible; but we waited 6 months from release to just get root, so who knows..

martindar

Sep 10, 2012
plymouth,devon uk
Thats how it worked with the LG Flex; if you were rooted, you have to restore to factory stock, then get the update...fortunately, you could root while on 4.2, then get the OTA update to 4.4. But there is no custom recovery and no roms for 4.4, so at this point, there is zero dev going on for that phone, except what might be going on behind the scenes..
The G3 should be more popular, so hopefully with more people working on bypassing the LG security scheme, it might not be as horrible; but we waited 6 months from release to just get root, so who knows..

have you looked in the development threads there are custom recoveries and 4.4 roms and the develpment for the g2 is alive and kicking not sure where you are coming from

martindar

Sep 10, 2012
plymouth,devon uk
ah i see its a little quieter in the gflex section in g2 there are loads of custom stuff i initially thought you were on a g2 my fault for not looking at your sig properly! im sure it will get much better in time the g2 was very quiet for a while untill everyone realised what a good phone it is.it takes time for workarounds and there will be problems but stick with it as the g flex is a great phone.

im on a ukd802 g2
g3 theme and icons
4.4.2 g flex rom (cloudyfa's 2.3 )
savocas latest kernel
hid3rs ui quick settings mod,exposed.

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
a "little" quieter?

no roms, no recovery,(for kitkat), and the phone has been out 7 months...
the dev's who have tried just cant get that phone to co operate; hopefully, since that was the "latest" LG flagship, whatever measures they used to make it impossible to mod, will NOT be used in the G3..

puothy

Nov 28, 2012
getting root on the LG G2 has never really been an issue. The bootloader has never been unlocked but it has been bypassed so flashing roms / kernels is not a problem. I would predict that the LG G3 will be similar. But the problem has been that most AOSP ROM's have had issues (and the AOSP camera just sucks) and while i have tried several, I kept coming back to stock G2 ROM Derivatives with xposd, hotspot hacks and nova launcher. I need a stable phone with a good camera (got two kids and my phone is main source of pics / videos) and a hacked hotspot (I am on Verizon w/unlimited data and would need to pay for tethering) more than anything.

ykota89

May 1, 2013
getting root on the LG G2 has never really been an issue. The bootloader has never been unlocked but it has been bypassed so flashing roms / kernels is not a problem. I would predict that the LG G3 will be similar. But the problem has been that most AOSP ROM's have had issues (and the AOSP camera just sucks) and while i have tried several, I kept coming back to stock G2 ROM Derivatives with xposd, hotspot hacks and nova launcher. I need a stable phone with a good camera (got two kids and my phone is main source of pics / videos) and a hacked hotspot (I am on Verizon w/unlimited data and would need to pay for tethering) more than anything.

I'm not completely sure but I think you need the bootloader to be unlocked to flash custom kernels. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added 1st June 2014 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 31st May 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

@puothy have you tried houstonn's PA its buttery smooth really fast and battery life is amazing. You should check it out it is the most stable ROM out there for the g2

simon_lefisch

Dec 8, 2010
I'm not completely sure but I think you need the bootloader to be unlocked to flash custom kernels. I could be wrong though.

---------- Post added 1st June 2014 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 31st May 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

@puothy have you tried houstonn's PA its buttery smooth really fast and battery life is amazing. You should check it out it is the most stable ROM out there for the g2

Bootloader is locked, however loki bypasses the bootloader which allows for custom ROMs/kernels.

beezar

Oct 29, 2011
getting root on the LG G2 has never really been an issue. The bootloader has never been unlocked but it has been bypassed so flashing roms / kernels is not a problem. I would predict that the LG G3 will be similar.

Bootloader is locked, however loki bypasses the bootloader which allows for custom ROMs/kernels.

For the G2, LG patched the loki exploit for Kit Kat. Therefore, the only way to get custom recovery and custom kernels for Kit Kat on the G2 is to downgrade the bootloader to a loki-susceptible one (ie: from Jellybean). The Kit Kat bootloader has not been unlocked. This works for the G2 because it previously had a loki-susceptible bootloader.

But the G3 will never have had a bootloader that can be exploited by loki that can be downgraded to, so so far it doesn't look too good. Looks like root can be achieved, but the real question is custom recovery/kernels/etc.

Last edited:

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
For the G2, LG patched the loki exploit for Kit Kat. Therefore, the only way to get custom recovery and custom kernels for Kit Kat on the G2 is to downgrade the bootloader to a loki-susceptible one (ie: from Jellybean). The Kit Kat bootloader has not been unlocked. This works for the G2 because it previously had a loki-susceptible bootloader.

But the G3 will never have had a bootloader that can be exploited by loki that can be downgraded to, so so far it doesn't look too good. Looks like root can be achieved, but the real question is custom recovery/kernels/etc.

They have looked at the bootloader and said it looks the same as the one in the g2 and flex .... They can probably patch it like they have

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for people like me (Verizon/AT&T) who are concerned with the recent trend with these companies to make the bootloader harder to get into than Ft. Knox on the GS5.

I'm on an HTC One XL and have tried to catch up a little but for those coming from the G2 to the G3 are you concerned about the inablity to flash custom kernals? From what I gathered the exploit was to downgrade firmware to pre 4.4.2 in order to gain access and seeing how the G3 won't know anything other than 4.4.2 is there reason to be concerned that there won't be any rooting?