[Q] Tried to save nearly dead G2x,ended up with WIND V11h, what now?

Search This thread

Rudds1972

Jun 10, 2012
I tried to update my G2x yesterday via the LG updater tool. Long story short, it froze on the S/W Updating screen and neither T-Mo or LG support could assist in getting it fixed.

I read that it was pretty hard to brick the G2x so I decided to give it an all out effort to resurrect it, especially after the T-Mobile tier two tech support told me there was nothing that could be done, if what he had tried didn't work, the phone was toast. I am just a woman who is more technical than the average woman my age, but I don't mod my phones much in general. I tweak.

I will list what all I have tried, as much in order as I can recall since starting this Friday at noon, don't laugh! (oh the phone is currently working, only 3g and with this Wind ancient looking version)

Flashed CWM on phone (tried all versions at some point in the process)
Totally cleared phone
Tried KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.exe to flash V21E_00 and V21Y_00 Neither would work
Flashed Cyanogenmod 7.1.0.1 Worked, looked beautiful, wifi but no cell service, no baseband, no IMEI
Flashed kdz WIND V11h - everything working but only at 3g

I thought if I got back to something that would put back in a baseband and my IMEI, I could find my way back to the most current update. I can't seem to flash anything new though.

I've tried this :http://xdaforums.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=1149

and this : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25321356

Both awesome and helpful posts but I can't get anything other than this V11h!!

Help! And thanks! And I am sorry if this seems ridiculously easy, I think my brain quit working about 6 hours ago!

Oh, my question is, how do I go about getting it at least back to where it was? (Never updated from stock, March of 2011)

Model Number
LG-P999
Android version
Baseband version
M6600A-SCAUTNZ-2.0.9720T 1[JUN 05
2011 04:00:00] MP:TRULGE_08.09.02R_MDM
Kernel version
Build number
FRG83G
Software Version
LG-P999-AWC-V11h

Last edited:

dorkknight

Jun 6, 2012
I'm by no means an expert -- an advanced amateur, maybe :) -- but I'll do my best.

What exactly were you trying to update when you bricked the phone? You said you were using the LG updater tool, but what exactly were you trying to do? Was your phone already rooted prior to the attempted update? Had you made any modifications to your phone or were you running stock? That may help us get to the root of your problem.

Are you still able to get into the S/W update screen using the directions in the PDF you attached? (Ie: if you remove the battery, hold both volume buttons, and then plug in the USB, does your phone turn on and go into software update mode?) If you can get it into this mode, you should be able to flash the stock TMobile ROM using NVFlasher as in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1056847

This may get you back to step one, and you can try again. Or maybe at that point, someone more knowledgeable will come around with better advice. :)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rudds1972

Rudds1972

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for your quick reply!

I was trying to uh...update to 2.3.4 Gingerbread to hopefully help resolve some minor but longstanding issues I had had with my phone. Mainly, the random reboot and powering off I was really getting sick of.

My phone was not rooted prior to this. I was running stock.

Yes, I can still get into the S/W updater screen following the instructions in the .pdf I posted.

And funny you should post this thread: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1056847

That is where I originally started when my phone first froze. I have tried to flash to stock using the NV flasher right before I posted the original question. It didn't do a thing and that's when I threw my hands up and decided I needed help!

dorkknight

Jun 6, 2012
That is where I originally started when my phone first froze. I have tried to flash to stock using the NV flasher right before I posted the original question. It didn't do a thing and that's when I threw my hands up and decided I needed help!

heh... I can totally relate to throwing your hands up. I just started tinkering with my phone a couple of months ago, and the first night, I spent from 10:00pm until about 5:00am just trying to get Cyanogenmod installed. It was frustrating, but after a lot of reading and re-trying, I finally got it to work.

Okay, when you run NVFlasher, do you get any messages at all? Once you click one of the buttons to flash the phone, I believe a DOS window should popup showing you the status of the flash, whether there are errors while flashing or if it completed successfully. If there are errors, be sure you have the proper APX driver installed, which should be included with the NVFlasher package. What OS are you using on your PC? Windows XP? 7? When you have the phone plugged into the USB and the S/W update screen is showing, you should see "'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery" listed in your windows device manager.

Rudds1972

Jun 10, 2012
lol...10pm to 5am eh? Sounds like me, I was (sounds crazy) noon Friday until 2am Sat and started up again around 9am and well...here I sit at 3 am my time, with a few breaks thrown in!

When I run NV flasher, it all goes smoothly. It looks totally complete, no errors. And I am familiar with the errors, the first few hours I had nothing but errors and dead ends. I have the proper APX driver for sure, I thankfully, run XP on this computer. And yes to the "'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery" listed in your windows device manager. "

Scratching your head like me? I don't want to do Cyanogenmod again, which is what I am tempted to do, thinking now that I have the baseband back, the cell phone service would work. I really just want my phone back the way it was, albeit, updated..ok, so not exactly the way it was!

tahahawa

Oct 14, 2010
Currently on phone, so no links. But in other lg device forum on xda there is the "offline updater method" of kdz flashing. It tricks lg updater into using a custom kdz and not to check online. Look for v21y.kdz and use that. Its 2.3.4.

beccadevin

Jun 23, 2011
Cypress
If you can get it working with the old wind mobile rom all you have to do is use the official lg tool from their website and it will update to the latest version for you I had the same problems you are talking about and the only thing I could get to work was the lg offline update tool and flashing the old wind mobile rom after i got that working just went to lg and used their program and it updated me to new baseband an 2.3.4.

edekalil

Sep 16, 2011
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25116859
This is what you will have to do. It took me a while to figure it out. But when you have the programs and files you need all downloaded and setup it works without being online. It worked for me once I figured it out. I had to read it a few times and do some searching for all the files but they are out there. If you do not find them via this site Google it. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Last edited:

Rudds1972

Jun 10, 2012
Hmmm...can I even remember?? My brain is still swimming in downloads and error messages!

I had tried the offline updater earlier, but the "Automatic Offline Procedure.vbs" file never would load, I kept getting an error on line 25. I downloaded it all again from other links, and this time I thought it would go through but I kept getting an error at line 70 something.

I finally read "instruction.docx" (the steps that the vbs file was going to have me follow) lol

I turned the windows enabler to the ON position.

I also disabled my LG modem first as I had read that on the .pdf file I posted earlier and it had allowed me to get Wind on there.

I disabled my firewall and anti virus temporarily also.

I opened the UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe set it to "3GQCT" and "EMERGENCY" and chose the V21y kdz

I hit "Normal web upgrade test"

Then start upgrade or something and the LG updater tool opened, it found my phone, I think I pressed Start upgrade or whatever again, waited, held my breath too long, passed out, woke up VOILA! DONE! :D

That is a VERY rough translation of what I did, I have had so many trial and error attempts and variations of settings, files etc, that I don't know what really finally worked! But thank you for your encouragement last night, because I was really about to give up for good (thus the last ditch "when all else fails ASK for help" post) and throw not only my hands up, but the phone across the room!

Now I am finally getting around to re loading my apps and all my settings, ringtones, etc etc etc. I don't know if I now love or hate my G2x!

Thanks to everyone for their replies! And everyone else who posts here and helps so many novices like me!

Zachariah_Apo

Jan 5, 2008
California
No Luck

I have literally tried everything I could possibly think of to get v11h updated to v21e or even v21y and nothing is working for me. I am stuck at the part where the phone begins to update, but disconnects at param(5) and then fails after that. I have tried every method and tutorial that I could find and I am still searching. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
I have literally tried everything I could possibly think of to get v11h updated to v21e or even v21y and nothing is working for me. I am stuck at the part where the phone begins to update, but disconnects at param(5) and then fails after that. I have tried every method and tutorial that I could find and I am still searching. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Go to my post and follow the instructions:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1601918

Zachariah_Apo

Jan 5, 2008
California
I haven't tried it yet but as soon as I do I'll reply back and tell you the results thank you.

On a side note I got tired of the g2x plague and bought a new phone hahaha I still want to fix my g2x though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA

kylereid

Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Does v21y work on wind mobile Canada? Having major connection issues and thinking I'll run the kdz method with v21y to see if that fixes things. Gonna do it tonight so if any kind soul sees this post and know the answer could you pm me please. A big thanks in advance :)

tahahawa

Oct 14, 2010
Does v21y work on wind mobile Canada? Having major connection issues and thinking I'll run the kdz method with v21y to see if that fixes things. Gonna do it tonight so if any kind soul sees this post and know the answer could you pm me please. A big thanks in advance :)

It works. Running it now on wind.

yoos1980

Aug 9, 2012
toronto
It works. Running it now on wind.

Hello there I need your help Im with wind too and been trying all methods to upgrade to new basbabnd with no luck i dunno if its me or it is hard to do .. can you plz help I followed the instruction using the fake LG upgrade tool and dowloaded the V21Y . KDZ and tried to upgrade and never works

HELLLPPP lol

Zachariah_Apo

Jan 5, 2008
California
Hello there I need your help Im with wind too and been trying all methods to upgrade to new basbabnd with no luck i dunno if its me or it is hard to do .. can you plz help I followed the instruction using the fake LG upgrade tool and dowloaded the V21Y . KDZ and tried to upgrade and never works

HELLLPPP lol

I ended up buying a new phone cause I couldn't figure it out. I've tried every method with no luck. The phone just doesn't want to take the update for whatever reason. Other G2x I've tried worked but for some reason not the one I own. Hahaha

Try these links see if you can figure something out. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1339272 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1619932

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

lavaniol

Mar 11, 2014
No luck installing the March 2012 baseband

Hmmm...can I even remember?? My brain is still swimming in downloads and error messages!

I had tried the offline updater earlier, but the "Automatic Offline Procedure.vbs" file never would load, I kept getting an error on line 25. I downloaded it all again from other links, and this time I thought it would go through but I kept getting an error at line 70 something.

I finally read "instruction.docx" (the steps that the vbs file was going to have me follow) lol

I turned the windows enabler to the ON position.

I also disabled my LG modem first as I had read that on the .pdf file I posted earlier and it had allowed me to get Wind on there.

I disabled my firewall and anti virus temporarily also.

I opened the UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe set it to "3GQCT" and "EMERGENCY" and chose the V21y kdz

I hit "Normal web upgrade test"

Then start upgrade or something and the LG updater tool opened, it found my phone, I think I pressed Start upgrade or whatever again, waited, held my breath too long, passed out, woke up VOILA! DONE! :D

What does "disabling the LG modem" mean?

I have a Wind P999 phone with the V11h base band. Of course, the LG updater tool says that I have the latest baseband.
I tried updating using the KDZ tool but that did not work. for me.
I tried pushing a T-mobile Stock Rom too. It did not updated the baseband. LG tool still says I have the latest update.
I have also tried the hack of using the LG Updated with a local shttp server. But even then, when I pressed the "Normal web upgrade test" and "Start update" nothing happens.
Am I supposed to get some feedback while the upgrade happens? How long does this process take?

I am using Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit. All antivirus disabled.

Anything else I could try?

BTW, I have been able to revive a bricked p999 T-Mobile phone that I got from Ebay. it has the stock T-MObile Rom with the March 2012 baseband and software version v21y. This Wind phone is just testing me :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm by no means an expert -- an advanced amateur, maybe :) -- but I'll do my best.

What exactly were you trying to update when you bricked the phone? You said you were using the LG updater tool, but what exactly were you trying to do? Was your phone already rooted prior to the attempted update? Had you made any modifications to your phone or were you running stock? That may help us get to the root of your problem.

Are you still able to get into the S/W update screen using the directions in the PDF you attached? (Ie: if you remove the battery, hold both volume buttons, and then plug in the USB, does your phone turn on and go into software update mode?) If you can get it into this mode, you should be able to flash the stock TMobile ROM using NVFlasher as in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1056847

This may get you back to step one, and you can try again. Or maybe at that point, someone more knowledgeable will come around with better advice. :)

Good luck.

heh... I can totally relate to throwing your hands up. I just started tinkering with my phone a couple of months ago, and the first night, I spent from 10:00pm until about 5:00am just trying to get Cyanogenmod installed. It was frustrating, but after a lot of reading and re-trying, I finally got it to work.

Okay, when you run NVFlasher, do you get any messages at all? Once you click one of the buttons to flash the phone, I believe a DOS window should popup showing you the status of the flash, whether there are errors while flashing or if it completed successfully. If there are errors, be sure you have the proper APX driver installed, which should be included with the NVFlasher package. What OS are you using on your PC? Windows XP? 7? When you have the phone plugged into the USB and the S/W update screen is showing, you should see "'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery" listed in your windows device manager.
    Currently on phone, so no links. But in other lg device forum on xda there is the "offline updater method" of kdz flashing. It tricks lg updater into using a custom kdz and not to check online. Look for v21y.kdz and use that. Its 2.3.4.
    If you can get it working with the old wind mobile rom all you have to do is use the official lg tool from their website and it will update to the latest version for you I had the same problems you are talking about and the only thing I could get to work was the lg offline update tool and flashing the old wind mobile rom after i got that working just went to lg and used their program and it updated me to new baseband an 2.3.4.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25116859
    This is what you will have to do. It took me a while to figure it out. But when you have the programs and files you need all downloaded and setup it works without being online. It worked for me once I figured it out. I had to read it a few times and do some searching for all the files but they are out there. If you do not find them via this site Google it. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium