Scammed on craigslist, alternate IMEI methods

Search This thread

Red_Devil6

Jun 3, 2014
So here's the story, i bought a HTC one M8 AT&T version on CL. I had the phone for a few days during which time i have unlocked bootloader, rooted and S-Off the phone. Well the douche i bought the phone from must have reported it lost or stolen because its blacklisted. I've searched google and numerous forums regarding a solution so i can continue to use this phone on either the same carrier or another. I know most here wont engage in this discussion in detail as it violates forum policy, BUT if ANYONE has a legit solution that i can go with PLEASE inbox me so im not stuck with a very expensive brick.

wpghtc

Mar 5, 2010
Buy a parts phone with a clean imei and swap boards. Other than that, you are pooched. You could try calling AT&T and explaining that the customer is making a fraudulent claim.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Android The Greek

Mar 7, 2012
New Castle
Can't use it on a different carrier since the share blacklists and i cant pay the phone off because its tied to someone elses account AND ill be damned if i pay double for the phone

Dude must have been on At&t next. You get the phone then cancel and go to t-mobile. I am a frequent CL trader and have to watch out for that all the time. I usually make sure I see a recipe or just ask a ton of questions and make a judgement call. Anyways you can always try to do HTC Advantage, and you may find someone on CL who can get another imei although not sure how kosher that is.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
To avoid this. I usually buy a different carrier's model (if they have the bands I need). This way even if it's blacklisted on the original carrier i would still be able unlock it for another carrier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

PaulG1488

Jun 25, 2009
Can't use it on a different carrier since the share blacklists and i cant pay the phone off because its tied to someone elses account AND ill be damned if i pay double for the phone

You shouldn't have an issue using another carrier. I've had friends who ran into this with other devices and just unlocked the phone and used it on another carrier.

alqali

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
You shouldn't have an issue using another carrier. I've had friends who ran into this with other devices and just unlocked the phone and used it on another carrier.

I'm not sure if the other carriers do as well, however I am 100% sure that T-mobile and AT&T share their blacklists. So it will be useless to switch between these two carriers. How do I know this? The exact same thing happened to me. I bought an AT&T m8 and used it on T-mobile for a couple of weeks and then it got blacklisted after the original owner reneged on his contract and didn't pay the early termination fine. So phones also get blacklisted if contracts are broken and fees are due, not just if they are reported stolen.

The only legit solution that I can offer the op is to sell your blacklisted phone on ebay and CLEARLY state that it is blacklisted and for parts or export only. They work fine overseas and there is a market for blacklisted phones on ebay. So you should be able to recoup some or all of your money. Good luck