[Q] Upgrading from Nexus 4 to LG G Pro. Should I?

Search This thread

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
Hi friends.

I currently own a Nexus 4 and I have loved this device for a REALLY long time. However, now I think its time to upgrade. My upgrade is due to the following 4 reasons ONLY.

1) Screen Size. I want a bigger screen size than my N4
2) Available Memory. 16 GB. Every now and then its full. Cant expand. I take lotsa pictures and videos.
3) Camera. Oh I hate my phone whenever I open the camera app. The camera itself is just plain pathetic. It just cant focus AT ALL. The pictures are 95% of the times blur. No my hands are not shaky. But this phone requires your hands to be trained on a snipper perhaps. And the pics are always dull, without life.
4) Battery. Need to charge it quite a lot. Although I am not a heavy user at all. But KitKat has ruined the phone. Moreover, I do NOT play games at all and never use data. If it had a removable battery, I would have easily charged the extra battery and use it on the go.

I am thinking of LG Optimus G pro for the following reasons.

1) First and foremost, Price. It has dramatically slashed in my country. Say its costs even lower than $280, unlocked. Which is a steal at this price.
2) Camera. I dont know but have read in the reviews that it's not on par with S4, however it miles better than N4.
3) Battery. Again, tech site and customers reviews say it is awesome. And ya, its removable. Lets say if it fails in a couple of year, i can easily buy one and replace it.
4) Got a micro SD card slot upto 64 Gig. So memory shouldn't be a problem.
5) 1080p. Of course an upgrade from the 720p I currently use.
6) OTG, for even more space.

Prices of other phones in my country.
LG G2: $440
Galaxy Note 3 Neo: $400 (without 3G version)
Galaxy S4: $450
OnePlus One: *ock Teaser lol

As you can see, all these phones are priced quite above G Pro, so I am toooo inclined towards the G Pro as it has KILLER specs at such a low price. Moreover, I don't much care about Android updates. But still would want to know, have you guys gotten KITKAT? If yes, which variant do you own? Since there are a few 988, F240 etc

I would request you guys to let me know how the camera is. The camera is very important for me, so please tel me your experiences. And is there any other flaw you guys found with the G Pro that you suggest me not opting for it?

TL;DR... Want to upgrade from N4 to G Pro. Please suggest.

Last edited:

KennyWRX

Mar 27, 2011
Based on those reasons, yes, the G Pro would serve you very well. The only thing the N4 has over the G Pro is the Google Android. The most annoying issue with 4.1.2 on the G Pro was the crappy BT audio quality, and that has been fixed in the recent 4.4.2 update. IMO, it is one of the best values for the $$ in smartphones.

Last edited:
Reactions: filthykid

luisoman2000

Jul 4, 2012
My 2 cents:

I upgraded from an optimus G(which is very much like the N4), definitely loving this phone. The size takes a while getting used to if you don't have big hands(I'm not a big guy) but the thinness of the phone helps a lot. The camera is really good, way better than the OG(and the N4).Kitkat brought a few more shooting modes and options (I really like the dual cam option), check the picture thread in the main section for samples). Battery life is good, especially in your case since you don't do gaming. The one low point for this phone is dev support. There aren't many custom roms available in comparison to the N4, so if you are a flashaholic i suggest you look at the dev section first to see what's available. We have 3 flavors of stock kitkat currently(1 for the 240 variant, 1 for the E988 and 1 for the E980). Personally I am using Spinx kitkat by radeonmaya which is based on the 240K. Rom is really nice with added goodies(slide aside, several themes, weather effects on the lockscreen), downside is the main thread is in LG viet forum so you need google translate to navigate it. Plus installing is a bit of a pain(need to flash rom, modded stock kernel, an edited build prop and modem) but in the end it works really good. Also there seems to be issues with the recoveries. Lets say you need to do a backup suing CWM/Phils. When donde you reboot to system, but for some strange reason the phone bootloops back to recovery. TWRP is the only recovery that i have used that gets me out of the bootloop and back on the rom. Also when flashing your files need to be on the internal storage and not on the SD.
If you don't mind that the i say go for it, for that price it's a great deal.

manav_patial

Jul 20, 2012

1) First and foremost, Price. It has dramatically slashed in my country. Say its costs even lower than $280, unlocked. Which is a steal at this price.

At this price, you won't get anything better than GPro,,,go for it..

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

View92612

May 10, 2013
Plano, TX

Yes. I upgraded wife's phone from N4 to OGP in October 2013. Actually I bought it from craigslist for $275 for myself but she couldn't get her eye off it as soon as I brought it home. So she got the OGP and I got a G2 a month later. It was definitely a worthy upgrade and we took many family pictures with the OGP. It's a very huge phone though so it may take a while to get used to. That may be less of an issue to women because they usually have a purse wherever they go... I got the E980 unlocked with 32GB storage.

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
Based on those reasons, yes, the G Pro would serve you very well. The only thing the N4 has over the G Pro is the Google Android. The most annoying issue with 4.1.2 on the G Pro was the crappy BT audio quality, and that has been fixed in the recent 4.4.2 update. IMO, it is one of the best values for the $$ in smartphones.

I don't much care about latest android updates. After owning a Nexus device, I now know how unimportant these updates are. Since past a year n a half, Google hasn't released any major updates. They rather have FIXED issues on it (except for a few features). So I care less now.

My 2 cents:

I upgraded from an optimus G(which is very much like the N4), definitely loving this phone. The size takes a while getting used to if you don't have big hands(I'm not a big guy)...... when flashing your files need to be on the internal storage and not on the SD.

I do not ROOT or flash ROMs on my phone. Have never done it and don't plan to. I already think the features LG G Pro has on top of android are very handy and useful (Quick Memo etc). So I guess I won't be rooting my device :)

Thank Bro. Will grab one this weekend.

Yes. I upgraded wife's phone from N4 to OGP in October 2013. Actually I bought it from craigslist for $275 for myself but she couldn't get her eye off it as soon as I brought it home. So she got the OGP and I got a G2 a month later. It was definitely a worthy upgrade and we took many family pictures with the OGP. It's a very huge phone though so it may take a while to get used to. That may be less of an issue to women because they usually have a purse wherever they go... I got the E980 unlocked with 32GB storage.

Ahan. I guess I should go for G Pro now.
----------------
Bdw, what do u guys have to say about the build quality? Speakers etc.
Speakers were very bad in N4. I guess due to the low price may be.

Plus, COLORRRR... Which color do u guys own?
I am thinking to get white one. Saw both on youtube and black one looks more like cheap plastic whereas white one looks classy. I know it all comes down to ones preferences but want to know which one do u own.

luisoman2000

Jul 4, 2012
I own the dark blue and i like it, but the phone does look good in white.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
I own the dark blue and i like it, but the phone does look good in white.

I got a white E980

I have white and I love it

Alright. Thanks.
How's the built quality? Speakers esp.
And how long does it takes to charge the battery from ZERO to 100%?

Furthermore, whats with the brightness going dim when phone getting hot? Never heard of it before on any handset.

"Problem: Overheating and screen dimming

Some owners have reported overheating issues with the Optimus G Pro. This is another complaint that’s becoming increasingly common with all smartphone models. There isn’t room for a fan, and as devices get more powerful they require more juice and they inevitably get hotter. When the Optimus G Pro gets too hot it will start to dim the screen to help reduce the temperature. In extreme cases it might shut off completely."

SOURCE: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-optimus-g-pro-problems/#!UOC3j

Last edited:

luisoman2000

Jul 4, 2012
Really? How about the camera? 99% of the reviewers have said it's bad. And the image samples on internet are very very cold. :(

za4adesy.jpg
jenudyby.jpg
ry3emasu.jpg
u8esyvy7.jpg

As for brightness, the screen does dim a bit when getting very hot, or it wont let you set 100% brightness. It only happened once to me while playing ingress, could only set brightness to 85%. Build quality seems solid, and the speaker is decently loud.

asl9622

Jan 2, 2011
I switched from nexus 4 to ogp and it was a great decision. The ogp is very powerful and the best part is that you can add a zero lemon battery case that gives me three days of good use without a charge.

polar2792

Oct 23, 2011
Gastonia, NC
I don't listen to the external speakers often. I had an HTC EVO 4G from 4 years ago busted speakers as soon as i got em. Then had a HTC EVO 4G LTE 2 years ago and busted those speakers. These havent busted yet so I'd say they're decent.

The 2nd EVO was also bent. This phone appears to be rock solid so far. Backs not glass so you don't have to worry about that :p

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
As for brightness, the screen does dim a bit when getting very hot, or it wont let you set 100% brightness. It only happened once to me while playing ingress, could only set brightness to 85%. Build quality seems solid, and the speaker is decently loud.

Thanks man. Appreciate your help and effort.

I switched from nexus 4 to ogp and it was a great decision. The ogp is very powerful and the best part is that you can add a zero lemon battery case that gives me three days of good use without a charge.

That will make it bulky. Don't like bulky phones :)

Upgrade to the G Pro it's greatH

Aye aye captain.

I don't listen to the external speakers often. I had an HTC EVO 4G from 4 years ago busted speakers as soon as i got em. Then had a HTC EVO 4G LTE 2 years ago and busted those speakers. These havent busted yet so I'd say they're decent.

The 2nd EVO was also bent. This phone appears to be rock solid so far. Backs not glass so you don't have to worry about that :p

Cool. thanks for the input. How long does it take to charge the phone from 0 to 100%

luisoman2000

Jul 4, 2012
With the standard charger about 2 hours. I use a 1000mA charger at work and it takes a bit more. Standard charger is 1.5 mA if im not mistaken.

g0at1

Sep 24, 2013
G Pro all the way, for sure.

One thing is important to consider. If you ever want to use custom roms you will notice we don't have many. But, the ones we have rock.

Another thing, before starting flashing custom roms try to read as much as possible. This device is a bit tricky as we do not have the bootloader unlock. Actually, it is bypassed.

Thus, making backups is mandatory to save you from headaches.

I, personally am running @tdm Pace Plus 4.4.3 and am enjoying very much. Qremote is working properly and @ballhandslow 13MP Camera is also working very well.

By the way, if after flashing the camera you do not see it at the drawer, re-enable the stock. Then you might see two cameras. Check which one is 8MP and which is 13MP and disable it. Everything is gonna work fine.

Reactions: filthykid and tdm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    G Pro all the way, for sure.

One thing is important to consider. If you ever want to use custom roms you will notice we don't have many. But, the ones we have rock.

Another thing, before starting flashing custom roms try to read as much as possible. This device is a bit tricky as we do not have the bootloader unlock. Actually, it is bypassed.

Thus, making backups is mandatory to save you from headaches.

I, personally am running @tdm Pace Plus 4.4.3 and am enjoying very much. Qremote is working properly and @ballhandslow 13MP Camera is also working very well.

By the way, if after flashing the camera you do not see it at the drawer, re-enable the stock. Then you might see two cameras. Check which one is 8MP and which is 13MP and disable it. Everything is gonna work fine.
    My 2 cents:

I upgraded from an optimus G(which is very much like the N4), definitely loving this phone. The size takes a while getting used to if you don't have big hands(I'm not a big guy) but the thinness of the phone helps a lot. The camera is really good, way better than the OG(and the N4).Kitkat brought a few more shooting modes and options (I really like the dual cam option), check the picture thread in the main section for samples). Battery life is good, especially in your case since you don't do gaming. The one low point for this phone is dev support. There aren't many custom roms available in comparison to the N4, so if you are a flashaholic i suggest you look at the dev section first to see what's available. We have 3 flavors of stock kitkat currently(1 for the 240 variant, 1 for the E988 and 1 for the E980). Personally I am using Spinx kitkat by radeonmaya which is based on the 240K. Rom is really nice with added goodies(slide aside, several themes, weather effects on the lockscreen), downside is the main thread is in LG viet forum so you need google translate to navigate it. Plus installing is a bit of a pain(need to flash rom, modded stock kernel, an edited build prop and modem) but in the end it works really good. Also there seems to be issues with the recoveries. Lets say you need to do a backup suing CWM/Phils. When donde you reboot to system, but for some strange reason the phone bootloops back to recovery. TWRP is the only recovery that i have used that gets me out of the bootloop and back on the rom. Also when flashing your files need to be on the internal storage and not on the SD.

The battery charges from empty to full in around 2 hours