How warm do you guys let your phone get?

Search This thread

tgp1994

Aug 9, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm about a week-long user of the M8 so far, and I'm loving it. I've been a fairly long time HTC user as well - I started with the Ozone, then fell back to a feature phone until I picked up the Incredible 2, which lasted for a long time.

At any rate, I'm no stranger to hot phones, literally. During my commute back and forth to work, I would use my Inc. 2 to record the drive with Dailyroads Voyager, while simultaneously monitoring road conditions with Waze. My good old Inc. 2 would power through those tasks like a boss, while at the same time burning up, and usually unable to pull enough power from the car USB charger. The only way to keep my phone stable was by running my car's defroster to blow cold air over the phone.

Now that I'm up to date hardware-wise, the M8 is no exception in the power house category. It can even keep charging while it's doing these things, although it does still get pretty warm. It's currently in a protective case which seems to dissipate the heat pretty well.

My question is, how warm do you guys let your M8 get? (Note: I'm rooted, but still running stock with no sort of overclocking involved.)

ReyStunner

Apr 7, 2013
The only time I've ever had heat issues was when I mounted the phone to use as gps. And this was under direct 90 degree heat. Other than that, I've had no problems with heat whatsoever, even on prolonged lte usage and video watching.

My experience might be isolated though. I'd say, if your phone is uncomfortably hot to touch, you should probably ease up on it to be safe.

Reactions: tgp1994

tgp1994

Aug 9, 2010
The only time I've ever had heat issues was when I mounted the phone to use as gps. And this was under direct 90 degree heat. Other than that, I've had no problems with heat whatsoever, even on prolonged lte usage and video watching.

My experience might be isolated though. I'd say, if your phone is uncomfortably hot to touch, you should probably ease up on it to be safe.

Yeah, always with the GPS navigation it seems. I wonder if this is something that can be fixed software wise (I.E filling a bug report to Waze/DRV), or if it's more on HTC's end for software/hardware...

ReyStunner

Apr 7, 2013
I would assume it was just the metal body absorbing direct sunlight but I might be wrong. My HTC rezound used to double as a portable heater the way it used to get hot with extended usage. This one doesn't seem to be like that though.

davidmatt34

Oct 16, 2010
Usually only heats when running tether for a period.

Hi everyone,

I'm about a week-long user of the M8 so far, and I'm loving it. I've been a fairly long time HTC user as well - I started with the Ozone, then fell back to a feature phone until I picked up the Incredible 2, which lasted for a long time.

At any rate, I'm no stranger to hot phones, literally. During my commute back and forth to work, I would use my Inc. 2 to record the drive with Dailyroads Voyager, while simultaneously monitoring road conditions with Waze. My good old Inc. 2 would power through those tasks like a boss, while at the same time burning up, and usually unable to pull enough power from the car USB charger. The only way to keep my phone stable was by running my car's defroster to blow cold air over the phone.

Now that I'm up to date hardware-wise, the M8 is no exception in the power house category. It can even keep charging while it's doing these things, although it does still get pretty warm. It's currently in a protective case which seems to dissipate the heat pretty well.

My question is, how warm do you guys let your M8 get? (Note: I'm rooted, but still running stock with no sort of overclocking involved.)

zenisnotchosen

Jul 19, 2008
Dayton, OH
I recently accidentally let my M8 get too hot while listening to music with it laying in direct sunlight face up. Didn't think about the black screen absorbing so much heat, got so hot it went into safety shut-off. It was almost too hot to touch, but after a couple minutes off it was relatively cool and turned back on fine with no problems or battery issue.

Evocm7

Oct 19, 2011
Bakersfield
Low 40s Celsius is when I start to get uncomfortable. It's still safe, I just simply don't like it that warm. I get mad when my OC'd Intel cpu hits 60c even though 75+ is fine. I'm just anal about temps I guess

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

R

richii0207

As hot as it wants, it'll turn off by itself if it ever reaches critical temperatures

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

eikast

Feb 22, 2012
My Car mount clips onto the AC vents so my phone is always cool (I block some of the air through. Too cold isn't good either(

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles
I like to burn things
But really though, I keep her around 451°F

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
If you're rooted, install XPosed and than install "CPU Temp in StatusBar" to keep really good track of the temps. Mine doesn't ever get over 110F, even under hard WiFi and streaming use. I've never used it for GPS in the car. At idle, it sits under 80F.

tgp1994

Aug 9, 2010
If you're rooted, install XPosed and than install "CPU Temp in StatusBar" to keep really good track of the temps. Mine doesn't ever get over 110F, even under hard WiFi and streaming use. I've never used it for GPS in the car. At idle, it sits under 80F.

Thank you, I've been looking for a CoreTemp-like feature for my phone. I'll give this a try!

Spondronis

Jul 26, 2012
I've been hammering on my new m8 (swapping roms, installing massive amounts of apps, running tests, playing games ) for over a day and the phone has never gotten beyond lukewarm. Nothing close to what my m7 used to do

JasonJoel

Apr 23, 2008
I never look at the temp. It will auto throttle if it gets too hot anyway. Just use the phone how you want and don't worry about it...

tgp1994

Aug 9, 2010
Well, I gave the temp monitoring thing a try (very cool!) and I don't think my phone ever passed 65 degrees Celsius, which I guess is ok. So no worries it seems!

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles
That's a hundred and forty nine degrees F. Lol you need more ac.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I usually put it in preheated to 400 degrees and flip halfway through at 10 minutes.

Suits my needs.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

I get mine up to 132. My m7 would hit 147. My battery on my m7 would never get above 113. Idk about the battery on this phone tho. I only rooted it yesterday and have had it 3 days

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app