• 14w20

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

feis

Dec 30, 2008
Why do you have to be so offensive and aggressive, I don't get it. Fine, you made a mistake buying a Z2, you regret it, so then just get rid of it - return it or sell it. It's hardly the end of the world, especially if you are able to afford spending such a handsome amount of money on a handset. I agree, Sony should improve their production process and most of all, their quality control. Anyways, your constant bashing and ranting is far from useful and constructive. We got your point, at least some units from early batches of Z2 have manufacturing, rather cosmetic issues. However, not all devices suffer from such problems, I can assure you because I saw and tested a perfect device meant for mass sale a couple of days ago (actually 2 devices, black and white). You saw 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 devices with subpar production quality. Fine but that's not the whole production by a long shot. Thanks for the fair warning, but please stop this madness with aggressive language, caps lock, etc. Jeez! It doesn't solve anything and it doesn't help anyone.

Gesendet von meinem LT26i mit Tapatalk

Dont argue with him, hes a raging kid. If your opinion differs from his, you only gonna get attacked and insulted, you cant have conversation. Believe me, happened to me, its not worth time arguing with stubborn kid

logzz

Oct 17, 2011
Dont argue with him, hes a raging kid. If your opinion differs from his, you only gonna get attacked and insulted, you cant have conversation. Believe me, happened to me, its not worth time arguing with stubborn kid

I am now on my 3rd xperia z2, the first one had a gap between the frame and the lcd and was a 14w14 one. the next one was a 14w20 which was much better, but after looking very close I found a crack in the frame where the sim card slot is and water would have gotten into the phone. Also the cameras were slightly off center and when I received the box it had already been opened. Also both the previous ones the mesh where the top speaker is was not inserted properly and did not cover the speaker hole properly. I am now on my third one which the staff in store opened infront of me again this one is a 14w20 but it is the most perfect one I have had yet. All cameras perfectly in center no gaps at all anywhere between frame and screen. If you have gaps between frame and screen I highly recommend you get it replaced.

feis

Dec 30, 2008
I am now on my 3rd xperia z2, the first one had a gap between the frame and the lcd and was a 14w14 one. the next one was a 14w20 which was much better, but after looking very close I found a crack in the frame where the sim card slot is and water would have gotten into the phone. Also the cameras were slightly off center and when I received the box it had already been opened. Also both the previous ones the mesh where the top speaker is was not inserted properly and did not cover the speaker hole properly. I am now on my third one which the staff in store opened infront of me again this one is a 14w20 but it is the most perfect one I have had yet. All cameras perfectly in center no gaps at all anywhere between frame and screen. If you have gaps between frame and screen I highly recommend you get it replaced.

I have gapps(if u can call that a gap) top right, bottom left, 14w16, and no, im not gonna go and exchange, phone is working perfectly, why would i??

logzz

Oct 17, 2011
I have gapps(if u can call that a gap) top right, bottom left, 14w16, and no, im not gonna go and exchange, phone is working perfectly, why would i??

it up to you in the end but I just got annoyed at the poor build quality when paying $900 for a phone. The z1's never has these issues or the xperia z. this is the worst quality I have ever seen. Im happy with my 3rd replacement but probably will not go for a sony phone next time around.

Reactions: shaf46

King Cole

Jun 26, 2012
Boston, MA
I have a week 17 (which seems to be the one that people are reporting the most issues with), but honestly don't really see any gaps or anything. Maybe I'm just not looking close enough, but the phone itself works fine (both above and under water).

logzz

Oct 17, 2011
I have a week 17 (which seems to be the one that people are reporting the most issues with), but honestly don't really see any gaps or anything. Maybe I'm just not looking close enough, but the phone itself works fine (both above and under water).

its not batch related as far as im concerned. some have the issue some don't I don't think I don't think it matters what batch they are from. If it looks good keep it don't take a chance on one that could be worse

NetSkill

Aug 3, 2011
Slovakia
I think this has nothing to do with batch numbers... Mine is 14w15 (vodafone DE) and its perfect no gaps, camera is centered properly, never saw overheat message while using camera

Odoslané z D6503 pomocou Tapatalku

blab86

Jun 7, 2014
Mine is a 14w15, slight gap top right, bigger gap bottom left, camera of center, 4k video playback lags sound, also a crack appeared on back, 100% I haven't dropped it or damaged it. I noticed it as soon as did a video, not 4k I turned it over and there is a single crack from top to bottom, I will post images as soon as I can. Apart from the slight defects, I truly love this phone it's amazing.

[kEkA]

May 25, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
I've already posted here about vibration "problem" which turned out not to be a problem
my batch is 17, no gaps, maybe 1 in on top left corner on front but I'm not sure if its a gap at all, it has to be the smallest one if it is :D
I've been using my device for 2 weeks already, and I cannot say if I was ever happier with my purchase and choice as now.
Until today, I had no problems only 2 "scratches" on back and I'm not sure if they are scratches at all and they appeared after 3 days of buying the phone. But ok, they were hardly visible at all so no problem with then.
Today at the strong sunlight, I took the phone out of my pocket to change the FM Station and to see why was it so warm, on my surprise I found something that on first glance looked like a big scratch on front screen/glass. I didn't worry much, as I thought that it was just dirty, so I arrived at home, cleaned with special fiber towel and some screen spray and on my surprise found that whole front screen is in some tiny little "scratches" which appear on direct sunlight and look more like cracks, which they are.
Notes:
-I've been extra careful with the phone, no drops, no pressures, no playing games making it warm, no dipping in water, no leaving phone on the edges or in pockets for long time, no sitting nor running while phone in pocket, it's in pocket only when I walk and I do not wear any skinny jeans or have small pockets or with any other objects with it and i take caution even when walking with phone in my pocket about it.
-As I said the batch is 17, in camera mode it gets fairly warm, had only once overheat message and that was when I played game and then tried to make 4k video and after few days I tried only once more 4k for about 4-5 mins, no message, never after that and I'm taking photos on daily basis. I think it's safe to say that i have overheat problem in general, since it gets sometimes even hot just when using radio or browser, I won't even talk about games, had only 1 and it was damn too hot after just few mins playing it.
-My battery lasts one whole day, with some % left after that, average screen time is between 4.5h and 6h, and i noticed that between 70% and 100% it discharges really fast. Only browsing takes my % too. I use it for viber, calls and messages mostly, and i said i take few pictures, maybe 4-5 max per day.
I bought it in Telenor, I brought it there and they told me that it's clear to them that it wasn't dropped or put pressure on it as the cracks are 'random', some of them quite long, and no impact spot and I repeat, they seem to be in early phase of evolving as they are thin and not that wide and not visible if not under strong sunlight,
but they all appeared in same time I think. One is even visible even when not on direct sun light as of today.
They said they will take it on Monday and give me a call within, usually, 10 working days with solution,
any opinions?

Last edited:

kannanX10

May 6, 2010
Coimbatore-TN
I've already posted here about vibration "problem" which turned out not to be a problem
my batch is 17, no gaps, maybe 1 in on top left corner on front but I'm not sure if its a gap at all, it has to be the smallest one if it is :D
I've been using my device for 2 weeks already, and I cannot say if I was ever happier with my purchase and choice as now.
Until today, I had no problems only 2 "scratches" on back and I'm not sure if they are scratches at all and they appeared after 3 days of buying the phone. But ok, they were hardly visible at all so no problem with then.
Today at the strong sunlight, I took the phone out of my pocket to change the FM Station and to see why was it so warm, on my surprise I found something that on first glance looked like a big scratch on front screen/glass. I didn't worry much, as I thought that it was just dirty, so I arrived at home, cleaned with special fiber towel and some screen spray and on my surprise found that whole front screen is in some tiny little "scratches" which appear on direct sunlight and look more like cracks, which they are.
Notes:
-I've been extra careful with the phone, no drops, no pressures, no playing games making it warm, no dipping in water, no leaving phone on the edges or in pockets for long time, no sitting nor running while phone in pocket, it's in pocket only when I walk and I do not wear any skinny jeans or have small pockets or with any other objects with it and i take caution even when walking with phone in my pocket about it.
-As I said the batch is 17, in camera mode it gets fairly warm, had only once overheat message and that was when I played game and then tried to make 4k video and after few days I tried only once more 4k for about 4-5 mins, no message, never after that and I'm taking photos on daily basis. I think it's safe to say that i have overheat problem in general, since it gets sometimes even hot just when using radio or browser, I won't even talk about games, had only 1 and it was damn too hot after just few mins playing it.
-My battery lasts one whole day, with some % left after that, average screen time is between 4.5h and 6h, and i noticed that between 70% and 100% it discharges really fast. Only browsing takes my % too. I use it for viber, calls and messages mostly, and i said i take few pictures, maybe 4-5 max per day.
I bought it in Telenor, I brought it there and they told me that it's clear to them that it wasn't dropped or put pressure on it as the cracks are 'random', some of them quite long, and no impact spot and I repeat, they seem to be in early phase of evolving as they are thin and not that wide and not visible if not under strong sunlight,
but they all appeared in same time I think. One is even visible even when not on direct sun light as of today.
They said they will take it on Monday and give me a call within, usually, 10 working days with solution,
any opinions?

i think u misunderstood it might be the digitizer(its visible in sun/close inspection of the screen at diff angles)

changkho1908

Dec 21, 2011
Brisbane
Notes:
any opinions?

my old z2 has that problem too, i gave it for the staff at store, they tried to clean, but not successful. after 4 days, they called me to come for repleace another one. i come to get new one.

[kEkA]

May 25, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
i think u misunderstood it might be the digitizer(its visible in sun/close inspection of the screen at diff angles)

I'll try to take some pictures of it now
EDIT] I know whats digitizer and its grid, its not like that, I cannot take picture from this angle, its too reflective but it can be seen when held in hand.
They look like first 4 pictures
I know its sony xperia z but mine looks like that just little less visible, as they didnt evolve yet
cannot put pictures, no 10 posts yet :\
xperiablog
/2013/11/08/sony-will-repair-certain-cracked-displays-for-xperia-z-series-suggests-leaked-info/
put .net where needed

Last edited:

blab86

Jun 7, 2014
Mine is a 14w15, slight gap top right, bigger gap bottom left, camera of center, 4k video playback lags sound, also a crack appeared on back, 100% I haven't dropped it or damaged it. I noticed it as soon as did a video, not 4k I turned it over and there is a single crack from top to bottom, I will post images as soon as I can. Apart from the slight defects, I truly love this phone it's amazing.

Also forgot to mention, my sim card cover keeps coming lose as well, and it does get really hot when shooting video,

here are some pictures i took of my defects. sorry about the quality, but you can just make them out.

Would the crack be covered under warranty?, as like i said i never dropped it or damaged it in anyway, i take really good care of my phones.

Attachments

• IMG_20140607_140946.jpg
    IMG_20140607_140946.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_20140607_141051.jpg
    IMG_20140607_141051.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_20140607_141210.jpg
    IMG_20140607_141210.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_20140607_141324.jpg
    IMG_20140607_141324.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 598

[kEkA]

May 25, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Also forgot to mention, my sim card cover keeps coming lose as well, and it does get really hot when shooting video,

here are some pictures i took of my defects. sorry about the quality, but you can just make them out.

Would the crack be covered under warranty?, as like i said i never dropped it or damaged it in anyway, i take really good care of my phones.

Yes apart this, its a perfect device..

edit] and btw my digitezer grid is visible always on direct sunlight

Last edited:

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012

Exactly. This Gap conspiracy is getting blown way out of logical proportion. This sort of forum is great if one can navigate the useful information from the...not so helpful (nonsense).

The OP has managed to cause a real storm in a tea cup with nothing more than a sincere but totally useless and unhelpful aim at some market research that is of zero value.
There are numerous research problems with the OP's poll. One would firstly need to market research this forum and all forums where we have posted any comments regarding this phone and ask some very basic questions like why did you join a forum, was it to mix with fellow SXZ2 owners, read about the phone from owners or because you have a problem and desire to find an answer?
From what I can understand of forums it is the latter that most members join. To this end any opinions made here will be biased toward those who have a problem. Now what % of the ownership is that? Unless we know the monthly production run figures ANY sort of accurate data will prove absolutely useless as we cannot correlate returns against satisfied sales?
Lastly there is no option in the poll to write one has any production run phone WITHOUT A PROBLEM?

What grieves me is some owners will now read this thread and identify what has been described as a gap and rush to replace the mobile? This would be absurd. There has to be spaces between component parts to allow for different materials to expand and contract with temperature. IF the mobile was manufactured as tight as a drum it would buckle and break. Think of any other construction made with glass and alloys or metals like a building or bridge! If that bridge we cross every day DIDNT have expansion joints (gaps).............

Out mobiles are modern marvels of design. The Sony is water resistant and water will not enter any normal space between the materials. The phones are pressured tested by QC inspectors at every stage of construction and every working day.

There will be lemons but this is normal and acceptable, even though annoying, in every device we ever purchase.

lastly, heat. There is a vast difference in heating and over heating. Yes my Z2 does get warm, possibly warmer than most other mobiles I have owned however take a look at the design and materials, the thickness of the phone and what can we expect on times but some heat? Again this is something that is being made a negative when every flagship phone I have ever owned has got warm? Really guys what can we expect? Look at the specification packed into a device that size made from glass and alloy :)

To those new to this sort of forum, take caution. Don't return a perfectly decent working mobile because this thread suggests there are production run problems. Read the facts and not opinions, don't take what I say as fact either do your own research into light and micro engineering and not to mention how one makes real valued market research and you will see this thread is rather full of misunderstandings of the basics in terms of QC and research strategies.

To the OP. I don't think you deliberately tried to trash the mobile. I find your methods of deduction are based on zero understanding of engineering, quality control and market research. Learn from it though .:good:

Ryland

Reactions: Dpk1 and kannanX10

shaf46

May 15, 2014
Port louis
I can smell jealousy here, just do your own thread and don't waste your time on mine because i don't have time for you
note : This is a basic thread and data has been gathered from people like us !

Dpk1

May 24, 2012
I agree with a few posts above. This defects / gap issue has been way too overblown! I mean, this thread would have all of the readers believe that even the slightest gap in the chassis is a defect which would compromise the water resistance of the phone, whereas in fact it is / does not. There might actually be a few initial batches with real defects / issues but that couldn't be true for majority of retail units. I had no gaps on my Z2 (14W18) which I had replaced for touchscreen issues, but have a slight gap (not noticeable on normal use) on my new Z2 (14W20). Neither of the phones had issues regarding water resistance.

There are / might be other more important issues to check on the new Z2 than the so called gap / off centre camera issue, such as any abnormal tint / stuck dead pixels on screen, abnormal touch sensitivity, call quality etc. I have none on my new Z2 BTW.

Anyway, I do not intend to defend sony for any defects or manufacturing issues which maybe genuinely present on a few units / batches. I would rather want sony to vastly improve it's quality control. All I'm saying is that people should be careful and aware so as to make out the real issues / defects from so called gap / off centre camera issues (which I'd label as cosmetic issues at best), as having replaced your Z2 for the latter might leave you with unit(s) having worse issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: kannanX10

Saqib Nazm

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 3, 2012
Virginia, USA
Thread closed, this thread will eventually get more derailed with time as you guys have already noticed. And there is no point of discussing defects that a phone may have because this cannot be fixed here, If anyone feels they are unsatisfied with their device or any problem related to hardware they can take it to the Sony Care. So I don't see any purpose of this thread now, I hope you all understand. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone, im opening up this thread for new users and people to get more idea about the different batch that have potential defects / issues
    There are up to now 5 different batch

CLICK ON THE THANKS BUTTON PLEASE :)

Where to find the batch number ?
    " Look at the SD Card Slot you will find a little black tab much like the sim card tray so pull it out with a pair of tweezers or if you have long nails make use of it and you will find out the information you would find usually behind a battery cover and such, the IMEI number, other serial numbers and of course, the manufacturing date."

JUST LIKE IN THIS PICTURE !

sony_xperia_Z2_new_flap_ndtv.jpg

14w15 : slight gap at the top right ( less than a mm ) , Camera lens off centered , dead pixel

14w16 : Dead pixel ( 1 - 2 ) , Battery over heat , Camera lens off centered ( up in left position ) , A 0.5 mmgap on the top right and on back on the top left just above the camera lens , overheating with normal camera use. , double tap to wake bug

14w17 : Overheat from using 4k video recording , 1mm gap on the top and bottom right corners and around 2mm gap on the bottom left corner. , flash is so far off centred that the complete top left corner , front camera/rear camera is off centered, dust in camera lense., 0.8mm gap at the bottom left.

14w18 : A big gap in the bottom left of the phone ( can easily fit a piece of paper or a pin in the gap). Also have the off center camera ,gets warm even when just using Chrome. , dust under screen / camera lens , Gap in the upper right chassis , 1-2 dead pixel or dust (zoom in), off center camera (slightly), left sim/USB door not closes fully., overheating with normal use.

14w19 : the camera is slightly off center ( doesnt affect the image quality ) , tiny gap at bottom left .

So guys keep posting out your issues with the sony z2 and keep update the list, so far the 14w19 is ok, it seems that there's a yellow tint issue but this can be fixed with white balance, hope this help ( took me some time to post this lol )
    Have a good day ppl :)

AND IF YOUR PHONE DOESN'T HAVE ANY DEFECT FROM THE LIST BE HAPPY :D AND WAIT FOR NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE HOHO

Those worrying about the gaps, just don't worry about it but do a water test before exchanging your device, here's a picture of the waterproof structure in the Sony Z1 / Z2 [ BAD QUALITY IMAGE]
    ejecgl.jpg

Off centered camerahttp://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1027/2522/original.jpg?w=600&h

Bottom Gap http://m.gsmarena.com/showpic.php3?...hone/gsmarena_005.jpg&idReview=1078&idPage=3#

Top gap http://m.gsmarena.com/showpic.php3?...hone/gsmarena_003.jpg&idReview=1078&idPage=3#

Note that: I just hover around lot of website,forums to gain this data then what i did is collect and assemble with the different batch number. I will keep updating it when you people reply to this thread :)

UPDATE PICTURES BY rpk12

2ist9av.jpg

2z8cmqr.jpg

2eoxmyw.jpg

vr3bed.jpg

GUYS IM VERY FED OUT OF PEOPLE COPYING MY DATA FROM HERE ATLEAST, SAY WHERE YOU GOT IT ! http://www.usoftphone.com/t214704.html < JUST COPIED MY DATA -.-

THIS MESSAGE GOES TO EVERY PEOPLE WHO WOULD POST STUPID POST, LET ME REMIND YOU THAT THIS IS A SIMPLE POST ABOUT DEFECTS/ISSUES RATE ALL DATA IS GATHERED FROM USERS FROM DIFFERENT SITE. SO DON'T LOSE YOUR TIME JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO. JUST TELL US ABOUT YOUR BATCH AND THE PROBLEM YOU HAD IF YOU HAVEN'T GET ANY PROBLEM POST IT ON , THANK YOU

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
    IF THIS POST WAS USEFUL TO YOU, CLICK ON THE THANKS BUTTON BECAUSE IT"S FREE AND MOTIVATES ME TO UPDATE THE PAGE AND HELP OUT PEOPLE IN MY FREE TIME. THANK YOU
    shaf-skylark.extended.jpg
    my friend, whether you like it or not ! Defects are present in these stated batches and these issues are not only sorted by people on xda but nearly all forums have this problem ! So the problem here is about the batches because those devices produced in shezeng factory has more defects than the one produced in sweden ! And the 15 th batch ? Because nano production was used while producing them. Defects are reduced by more than 70 % on this unit. Document yourself before replying to anyone.
    Thank you !

I never said that defects aren't present in any of those batches, I'm saying that you're misleading the general population by saying that each batch has a specific problem associated with them when clearly it's all random, and saying that one batch is better than another when it's not the case. You tell me to document myself yet you haven't shown any real evidence that these "defects" are not just cosmetic and actually hurt the functionality of the phone. And you keep saying that you do research on other forums then why not compile your findings into proper data to check what % of each batch actually has "defects" instead of saying that one whole batch is entirely faulty. I've read through this entire thread and you pretty much just copied the response of ONE person's situation with their phone and associating it with a single batch of phones. Unless you show some reliable sources for these findings of yours then it looks like you're just spouting out nonsense and generating more worry for issues that may not even be a problem. And you really need to tone down your hostility towards people who challenge your ideas, this is a place for discussions and I'm merely bringing up an issue that I myself have seen with this whole thread.
    Thread closed, this thread will eventually get more derailed with time as you guys have already noticed. And there is no point of discussing defects that a phone may have because this cannot be fixed here, If anyone feels they are unsatisfied with their device or any problem related to hardware they can take it to the Sony Care. So I don't see any purpose of this thread now, I hope you all understand. Thanks
    OK, full stop everyone!

It doesn't matter how many gaps, uncentered cameras or condensing issues your phones have, this is still a forum with rules.
    In fact, you can easily view those rules right on top of each section!

So everybody, consider this your last warning concerning language and harassment, we are not going to condone this any longer.
    If you can talk like grown ups without insulting each other, the thread will remain open, otherwise I'll close it and remove any offenders.
    Latest news guys
    15th batch just came out and there's no defects at all ! Only 0.1mm gap and slightly off centered camera and no waterproofing problem just got a reply from my dealer :) Don't get the 14w18 and wait for the 15th :) and the 15th one gets warm not hot like what ever! REMEMBER WHEN THE DEVICE GETS HOT ( it condense the lens as humidity gets in and stuff )

AND PLEASE GUYS, THIS THREAD IS GROWING UP, I HAVE ALSO BEEN DOING MY RESEARCH NON STOP TO HELP YOU GUYS
    SO PLEASE PUSH THE THANKS BUTTON. ATLEAST ! THANK YOU

And how exactly do you know this batch has no defects at all? Have you checked every single unit produced in said batch? Or are you just basing this on a single unit that you have not even seen and going by the word of a seller? This whole batch issue and associated problems with batches is nonsense. There is no manufacturing process that can produce a 100% perfect product 100% of the time. The first post of this whole tread is misleading and causing an uproar for something that is not even an issue. You have pretty much taken the testimony of a single person's unit and applied their results to an entire batch of units. The REAL issue here is whether or not these so called "defects" have any effect on the functionality of the phone. Unless these gaps have been proven to compromise the Z2's waterproofing ability, or an off centered camera has an effect on picture quality, then I think you should stop spreading nonsense about one batch of phones being superior to another.