The OnePlus 6 is officially on sale! Buy now →
FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Is it possible to make a moto g case with MicroSD and Charging capability?

77 posts
Thanks Meter: 15
 
By Kwipper, Member on 7th June 2014, 02:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is it possible to make a Moto G case that connects to the MicroUSB port, which in turn gives it MicroSDHC/XC card support (cards would be plugged into the case itself) and Charging capability? I'd imagine that the case would be a tad on the thick side, which could be beneficial for the sake of protecting the case.
 
 
7th June 2014, 08:21 AM |#2  
KDB223's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Liberty City
Thanks Meter: 179
 
More
Nice idea!
I would've bought it if it actually existed.



-sent from my little moto beast
7th June 2014, 12:14 PM |#3  
Kwipper's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Rolling Meadows, IL
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
I know. I am actually surprised that one hasn't been made yet. I am no engineer of any sort, but I am hoping someone sees this and actually gets inspired to make one. I am sure that they would make a killing, because I would buy one for my Moto G in a heartbeat.
7th June 2014, 01:59 PM |#4  
Kwipper's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Rolling Meadows, IL
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Borrowing the idea of the battery charging cases that I've seen made for iPhone devices, why can't there something like this be made with a similar design for the Moto G? Just replace the lighting connector with a MicroUSB one, and then add on a MicroSDHC/SDXC card reader slot to the pack somewhere? So now you have a case that is also an extra battery AND has the ability to mount and use MicroSDHC cards.



http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8W292/
7th June 2014, 03:03 PM |#5  
Member
Flag Cluj-Napoca
Thanks Meter: 9
 
Donate to Me
More
Yes, it is.
On my old Wildfire S i replaced the battery woth other bigger one, and with a new case.

Look around XDA, somebody put a microSD inside moto G
9th June 2014, 03:07 AM |#6  
Darkshado's Avatar
Senior Member
Montréal
Thanks Meter: 504
 
Donate to Me
More
The tricky part is doing both at the same time. OTOH the USB-OTG standard is meant for the host device to power the guest and not receive power while doing it. Just tried my OTG adapter with a powered USB hub on my Note 2 to be sure and it's not charging.
9th June 2014, 12:29 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 131
 
More
There sort of is. It's called the Moto G LTE.
9th June 2014, 04:14 PM |#8  
satanas17's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 108
 
More
very nice idea...i'm wondering too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshado

The tricky part is doing both at the same time. OTOH the USB-OTG standard is meant for the host device to power the guest and not receive power while doing it. Just tried my OTG adapter with a powered USB hub on my Note 2 to be sure and it's not charging.

OTG Case "only" could be a nice solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupi

There sort of is. It's called the Moto G LTE.

of course...when you want to change every 3 month !!!

C'mon, third party's devs...
9th June 2014, 06:37 PM |#9  
Member
Flag AZ
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanas17

very nice idea...i'm wondering too...

OTG Case "only" could be a nice solution...

My previous cell phone, a Palm Pixi Plus, had an officially supported Touchstone wireless charging option, which simply replaced the standard back cover with a magnetic charging back cover. And worked very well. To me, something like that would be the ideal solution for the Moto G. Motorola currently offers no officially supported wireless charging solution for the Moto G. The only 3rd party (QI Wireless) charger requires using the miniUSB port for connecting the charging adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQ2GUFI
There's a web site and youtube video of someone re-wiring a QI Wireless Charging Receiver, so as to not occupy the miniUSB port:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95W7oI0a80
But: the Touchstone type replacement back cover would be ideal.
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Computing.../dp/B00470ERYO
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Touchston.../dp/B002CMEIWK
11th June 2014, 10:11 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 98
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvail623

My previous cell phone, a Palm Pixi Plus, had an officially supported Touchstone wireless charging option, which simply replaced the standard back cover with a magnetic charging back cover. And worked very well. To me, something like that would be the ideal solution for the Moto G. Motorola currently offers no officially supported wireless charging solution for the Moto G. The only 3rd party (QI Wireless) charger requires using the miniUSB port for connecting the charging adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQ2GUFI
There's a web site and youtube video of someone re-wiring a QI Wireless Charging Receiver, so as to not occupy the miniUSB port:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95W7oI0a80
But: the Touchstone type replacement back cover would be ideal.
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Computing.../dp/B00470ERYO
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Touchston.../dp/B002CMEIWK

Wireless charging wouldn't work as we have no receiver within the phone and if you put one in you'd need access to the battery. Any wireless charging case will have to use the micro USB port.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethrat

Wireless charging wouldn't work as we have no receiver within the phone and if you put one in you'd need access to the battery.

It's a sealed unit it doesn't have the space to add wireless charging within the phone. Any wireless charging case will have to use the micro USB port.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk



Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
28th June 2014, 03:54 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 136
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethrat

Wireless charging wouldn't work as we have no receiver within the phone and if you put one in you'd need access to the battery. Any wireless charging case will have to use the micro USB port.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------





Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I suppose this is more complicated than what you are willing to do? But on the topic of a case with a microsdcard reader built in, has anyone found anything like this?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes