[Q] vpn questions

Search This thread

ohyourgod1

Jun 2, 2014
yes I work for a phone company that I will leave nameless they are changing policy and throttling down their customers that use peer to peer sharing I am wondering if there is a way to utilize a VPN to mask my usage if that won't work are there any other options I know it will work on PC but not too sure about Android

Fuzi0719

Jul 15, 2009
Palm Springs, CA
yes I work for a phone company that I will leave nameless they are changing policy and throttling down their customers that use peer to peer sharing I am wondering if there is a way to utilize a VPN to mask my usage if that won't work are there any other options I know it will work on PC but not too sure about Android
Android has PPTP/L2TP built in, and it is easy enough to install OpenVPN (especially on a rooted phone). I've used VPN on my Android when I traveled in China. Works great.

ohyourgod1

Jun 2, 2014
So do I have to root my phone in order to effectively use a VPN to mask this usage bc I am not sure I could root this by myself. Thanks for the info by the way. I'm a big downloader on my phone....I dis 70GB last month and will be red flagged at work if I don't fix.

Sent from my C6606 using XDA Free mobile app

Fuzi0719

Jul 15, 2009
Palm Springs, CA
So do I have to root my phone in order to effectively use a VPN to mask this usage bc I am not sure I could root this by myself. Thanks for the info by the way. I'm a big downloader on my phone....I dis 70GB last month and will be red flagged at work if I don't fix.

You would only need to root to use some of the OpenVPN clients. PPTP/L2TP is built into Android beginning with Froyo (2.2). Go to your Settings > Wireless & Networks > More and you'll see the VPN options.

ohyourgod1

Jun 2, 2014
So what free app would be a good app for this? I'm willing to pay for the app if needed but would prefer free app of course.