HTC One M8 all of ths sudden wouldn't power the screen on

Search This thread

Zeebz

Feb 19, 2011
Michigan
So I came home after being out for a bit and went to check my phone. When I hit the power button the screen didn't turn on. I then unplugged it and the charging LED stayed lit green once I unplugged it (it should have went off). I could not get the screen to turn on. I then plugged it into my PC to see if it'd recognize the device and nothing happened. Then, I had someone call my phone and it rang like it was on and went to voicemail, but the screen didn't do anything. I then reset it using POWER + VOL UP. It restarted and seems fine now... but I am not sure what that was. It is on stock 4.4.3 (I did the GPE conversion). Haven't had any issues with it until this. Hopefully it isn't a bad sign...

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
So I came home after being out for a bit and went to check my phone. When I hit the power button the screen didn't turn on. I then unplugged it and the charging LED stayed lit green once I unplugged it (it should have went off). I could not get the screen to turn on. I then plugged it into my PC to see if it'd recognize the device and nothing happened. Then, I had someone call my phone and it rang like it was on and went to voicemail, but the screen didn't do anything. I then reset it using POWER + VOL UP. It restarted and seems fine now... but I am not sure what that was. It is on stock 4.4.3 (I did the GPE conversion). Haven't had any issues with it until this. Hopefully it isn't a bad sign...

I don't think it's as a result of the device failing or something. I also had it happen to me only once and that was after I tried to install a program that requires root, it wanted to reboot but go stuck and didn't do anything. You could still hear the back ground notifications, ringing etc, same as yours, only difference being that I couldn't do a Volume up + power to reset, didn't work for me, lucky for me though it did pick up the device when plugged into PC.

I don't know if it's because of the rooting, or the rooting app or what the reason might be. Like I said it only did it once, haven't had a problem with it since(Been fine since the problem occurred sometime in April). :eek:

I mention the rooting app because it only occurred after I tried to grant access for root app, so... might be a coincidence, don't know.

Hope it's nothing serious for you as well :good:

Reactions: Zeebz

Zeebz

Feb 19, 2011
Michigan
I don't think it's as a result of the device failing or something. I also had it happen to me only once and that was after I tried to install a program that requires root, it wanted to reboot but go stuck and didn't do anything. You could still hear the back ground notifications, ringing etc, same as yours, only difference being that I couldn't do a Volume up + power to reset, didn't work for me, lucky for me though it did pick up the device when plugged into PC.

I don't know if it's because of the rooting, or the rooting app or what the reason might be. Like I said it only did it once, haven't had a problem with it since(Been fine since the problem occurred sometime in April). :eek:

I mention the rooting app because it only occurred after I tried to grant access for root app, so... might be a coincidence, don't know.

Ahh, mine was a bit different. It was more like my phone froze and the screen couldn't power on. I actually couldn't hear notifications or anything or get them while it was like this. When the person called my phone it rang for them like they were connecting to my phone, then went to voicemail after like 5 rings (like if the phone was on). But my phone didn't ring nor did the screen turn on for the call, it was just frozen.

Once I hard reset the phone (POWER + VOL UP) when it came back on I got all the texts I'd missed since my phone messed up.

Reactions: BerndM14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ahh, mine was a bit different. It was more like my phone froze and the screen couldn't power on. I actually couldn't hear notifications or anything or get them while it was like this. When the person called my phone it rang for them like they were connecting to my phone, then went to voicemail after like 5 rings (like if the phone was on). But my phone didn't ring nor did the screen turn on for the call, it was just frozen.

Once I hard reset the phone (POWER + VOL UP) when it came back on I got all the texts I'd missed since my phone messed up.
    Happened to me once. The screen is on but black !

Required a hard reset

HTC M8