27th August 2013, 11:39 PM |#111  
OP Senior Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 368

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitalon1

Just ordered this and a 2a charger - I'm not clear on what usb cable mods need to be done.

Anyone have a write up on soldering or moding to get ~1500ma in the phone while docked?

My post #96 should tell you everything you need to know - let me know if you have any questions!

27th August 2013, 11:50 PM |#112  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptosXLayer2

My post #96 should tell you everything you need to know - let me know if you have any questions!

Good info, but you mention soldering and I cannot find which wires I am supposed to solder.
27th August 2013, 11:54 PM |#113  
OP Senior Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 368

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitalon1

Good info, but you mention soldering and I cannot find which wires I am supposed to solder.

The wires you cut and shorten are the wires you solder!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4 using the XDA app
28th August 2013, 12:05 AM |#114  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptosXLayer2

The wires you cut and shorten are the wires you solder!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4 using the XDA app

LOL - I apologize, I didn't realize the ONLY goal was to shorten the cable. For some reason I thought we were soldering inside the mounts circuit board.
1st September 2013, 02:04 AM |#115  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Review
Here is my review as posted on Amazon:

This is one of the best docks out there for the Samsung Galaxy S4. That said, it is not perfect and the flaws outweigh the benefits. While it holds the phone extremely well the issues are with the cabling.
The short cable running from the dock to the phone is too stiff and puts a lot of stress on the micro USB port on the phone. You cannot use the clip built into the mount that supports this cable because this stresses the port even more. You cannot move the phone in such a way as to give the cable more slack because then the mount would be pressing the power and/or volume buttons on the phone. I cannot say for sure that this will damage the micro USB port, it's just my opinion.
As a result of not being able to clip the short cable to the mount the short cable wants to work its way loose from the mount.
The charge/audio cable is 9ft long. At this length it prevents the phone from charging at what I consider a reasonable rate. This is shown in some tests below.
Samsung OEM 2A USB wall adapter through iBolt long and short cables: 1100 milliamps
Samsung OEM 2A USB wall adapter through iBolt long cable only: 1340 milliamps
Samsung OEM 2A USB wall adapter through OEM Samsung cable and iBolt Short cable: 1700 milliamps
Samsung OEM 2A USB wall adapter through OEM Samsung cable: 1900 milliamps

2A Car adapter through iBolt long and short cables: 820 milliamps
2A Car adapter through iBolt long cable only: 960 milliamps
2A Car adapter through OEM Samsung cable and iBolt Short cable: 1420 milliamps
2A Car adapter through OEM Samsung cable: 1900 milliamps

I need to be able to get in my car, use my phone for navigation and also be charging the phone. I have found a charge rate of 1000 milliamps to be approximately break-even when it comes to battery usage while driving with navigation. (The phone will not lose battery charge, but also will not gain) Based on the above, I will break even at best.

As far as the mount itself goes, it is fairly robust and the ball mount does not slip. The ball is rubber coated which is a nice touch. The mount is very large and clunky because of the clamping mechanism. The bottom adjustable feet slide out to accommodate thicker devices. They lock to prevent them from closing back up but there is nothing to prevent them from opening up to their maximum size. The locks on mine did not work well and one side would not stay locked. Their wedge shape pretty much guarantees they will end up at their maximum thickness setting at some point.
Pros:
High quality suction cup
Good tension in ball mount
Somewhat standard ball mount can be adapted (17mm Garmin Ball)
Fits Phones with case installed
Cables work with most cases without trimming
Triggers Samsung dock mode
Triggers Samsung external audio
Very slick design on short adapter cable as it keys into the mount and allows flipping to the other side.

Cons:
Large and clunky
Short cable running from mount to phone puts too much stress on the micro USB port
Long cable uses too small of a wire gauge.

In short, this mount has many positives and if it will meet your needs for charging, audio playback, and mounting I would still recommend buying it.
Between the price and the charging rate, this is not the mount for me. A premium price demands the highest quality and this product is not there.
The Following User Says Thank You to valkokir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift valkokir Ad-Free
23rd September 2013, 04:07 PM |#116  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Has anyone tested this cable with the google edition, i9505g, would be good to confirm power + audio out works from this cable.

Cheers,
15th June 2014, 07:47 AM |#117  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Lemoore, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,019

Donate to Me
More
Stereo Channels Swapped
I've had this dock for quite awhile now and tonight, noticed a strange bug with it; audio routed through the cable has the stereo channels swapped. I noticed it tonight when listening to the song I had mixed myself. The song has a drum fill that starts in the right channel and ends in the left, but in the car it was reversed. I confirmed it by playing the song over Bluetooth (my car stereo supports both).

The problem could be the cable or the driver.

I running the latest official ROM (*FNC5)

Can anyone test this with another device besides the S4, or with an earlier ROM version?

I will probably just by some adapters and a cable to swap the channels back.
1st September 2014, 01:38 AM |#118  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Charging above 80% on S4
I've had the Ibolt for a couple, not a bad bit of kit but has its flaws.
Had both cables, y cable and short cable replaced by iBolt to a thicker gauge cable. But had a strange problem since. When the phone charge goes over 80%, I have a static/buzz on the audio output. Below 80% I don't hear it.

Phone is a Galaxy S4 i9505 Uk version running stock Samsung 4.4.2

Any ideas
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)