Are you rooted yet let everyone know...

Search This thread

UnhoIy

Dec 9, 2012
  • It shouldn't trip Knox. It should say "KNOX VOID 0x0" meaning not tripped, or "KNOX VOID 0x1" meaning tripped (to see this, while your phone is powered off, hold volume down+home+power button until you get to Odin Mode, then press up and this information will be in the top left corner.
  • The SuperSU from the play store won't be able to update the binaries, so instead download this http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip , extract (don't flash), go to the 'common' folder, and install the Superuser.apk. You should be able to do all of this from your phone.
  • The "Device Custom status" is because of root. Once you update the binaries through the above updated SuperSU link, that should go away.
Those were three big things people asked on the mega-thread yesterday.

LoSt180

Dec 21, 2011
Rooted a fully updated S5 G900A. Had the AT&T OTA as well as the security updates in place.

So glad to have AdFree Android back, I think. After checking in on that thread it appears to be a little over zealous with the domain blocking.

jm2k7

Mar 7, 2011
Black Mesa :P
I see many problems after root, I'll wait for it to be more stable, I did not root yet. :p

although it is clear that people are tinkering with their phones after root, and that it confused because they are experiencing and brings problems.

But I see there after root applications and features that do not work.

The truth is that people of samsung at & t and had well thought what if that layer of software is violated your phone will have failures.

Things to consider:

- Locate the firmware, odin, corresponding to the version of the compilation. This should screw up when root.

- The root should be more complete, the exploit should exploit the vulnerability and immediately have to stay SuperSU in system / app.

- Check the stability of the root to the system, notifying geohot, use logcat, etc..

- Allow developers completely cleaned Trail "at & t" unlock functions for other operators, for example using wireless tether to another operator, remove bloatware, etc.

- Waiting for a custom functional recovery for locked bootloader. A kind of boot manager menu or something.

- Read a lot, patience.

eortizr

Jul 6, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I see many problems after root, I'll wait for it to be more stable, I did not root yet. :p

although it is clear that people are tinkering with their phones after root, and that it confused because they are experiencing and brings problems.

The truth is that people of samsung at & t and had well thought what if that layer of software is violated your phone will have failures.

Things to consider:

- Locate the firmware, odin, corresponding to the version of the compilation. This should screw up when root.

- The root should be more complete, the exploit should exploit the vulnerability and immediately have to stay SuperSU in system / app.

- Check the stability of the root to the system, notifying geohot, use logcat, etc..

- Allow developers completely cleaned Trail "at & t" unlock functions for other operators, for example using wireless tether to another operator, remove bloatware, etc.

- Waiting for a custom functional recovery for locked bootloader. A kind of boot manager menu or something.

- Read a lot, patience.

I don't what are you talking about, rooting the phone does not breaks anything, is the user doing stuff they should not be doing, I did the root yesterday and haven't have any issue whatsoever, Xposed works as expected, I deleted all the At&t/samsung bloat. Is just a lot of newbies to root that are giving a bad rep to root and complaining, it feels like a lot of S5 users are rooting for their very first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnhoIy

davew41

Oct 4, 2011
I don't what are you talking about, rooting the phone does not breaks anything, is the user doing stuff they should not be doing, I did the root yesterday and haven't have any issue whatsoever, Xposed works as expected, I deleted all the At&t/samsung bloat. Is just a lot of newbies to root that are giving a bad rep to root and complaining, it feels like a lot of S5 users are rooting for their very first time.

Try putting your phone in ultra power saving mode then see what we are talking about even after a factory reset on the phone it still will not boot properly into the main screen sure the lock screen work but as soon as you unlock... pow blank screen
I am trying to get the .zip now to try via odin ill keep everyone updated.. no this isnt my first rodeo either..

OsoGrande

Nov 18, 2008
Rooted and Knox isn't tripped.
Ahhhhh....no AT&T startup sound anymore....the simple things.

Thank You geohot!!

UnhoIy

Dec 9, 2012

The thread was hyped up a loooooot yesterday. there were already 10 pages of comments before the exploit was released at 10 PDT, and there was a thread on /r/Android on Reddit about this that got a lot of attention, too. I'm sure it made it's way to a lot of other sites since it had the huge "18 thousand dollar bounty"

This is my sixth phone I've rooted and messed with, and I was finished installing everything within the hour of release.

Sgt.CM

Apr 8, 2013
Rooted S5 Active. Only problem was Titanium Backup wouldn't backup. It would say insufficient storage space. Fixed it with the following:

1. Using a root-enabled file manager like root explorer, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml file and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add this group definition: <group gid="media_rw" />
4. Save changes.
5. Restart.

Very happy and no problems.

Reactions: cmerlyn

sholsten

Jun 30, 2012
Kennett, MO.
  • It shouldn't trip Knox. It should say "KNOX VOID 0x0" meaning not tripped, or "KNOX VOID 0x1" meaning tripped (to see this, while your phone is powered off, hold volume down+home+power button until you get to Odin Mode, then press up and this information will be in the top left corner.
  • The SuperSU from the play store won't be able to update the binaries, so instead download this http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip , extract (don't flash), go to the 'common' folder, and install the Superuser.apk. You should be able to do all of this from your phone.
  • The "Device Custom status" is because of root. Once you update the binaries through the above updated SuperSU link, that should go away.
Where is the common folder? :confused:

Heavy Metal

Nov 22, 2011
Rooted S5 Active. Only problem was Titanium Backup wouldn't backup. It would say insufficient storage space. Fixed it with the following:

1. Using a root-enabled file manager like root explorer, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml file and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add this group definition: <group gid="media_rw" />
4. Save changes.
5. Restart.

Very happy and no problems.

How did you get it to save?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
If you're using Root Explorer you just need to change it to Mount R/W in the /system/etc/permissions folder then modify and save the platform.xml file and reboot.

That's exactly how I softbricked my phone, by modifying that same file for the sdcard permissions. Everything worked fine until the phone rebooted. I don't believe that works on our AT&T S5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooted SM-G900A. Knox is NOT tripped, double checked. SuperSU manually installed using the .apk available from their website. The SuperSU app in the app store is not updated to the latest version yet. Froze LocalFOTA and AT&T Software Update using Titanium Backup so hopefully no OTA in the future. Also froze the security policy update app in Titanium Backup.
    Install Xposed

One of my main reason for wanting root was to change DPI. Anyone have success in changing dpi after root?

What DPI did you go with? I couldn't find the DPI in the build.prop

@skatin707 do not use build.prop to change the DPI. That makes a global change, you can use Xposed and then get the module called "App Settings" in the Xposed Download repo and change the DPI to something different for each app. Forums/browsers maybe you want 400dpi or smaller but games system etc you'll want to stay at a higher DPI to not have spacing issues. @runnernsd this also applies to you.
    How do you check if Knox tripped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

Turn off the phone, then, press power, home, and volume down button together and hold them until you reach a prompt that says press volume up to continue. Press volume up and you should see a Knox Counter in one of the lines listed. If it's 0x0 its not void, if it's 0x1 its tripped and therefore warranty is void.

Things to consider:

- Read a lot, patience.