[Q] Dual SIM phone with Single SIM firmware?

Search This thread

Nadavs10

Mar 24, 2013
I ordered a regular Moto G 16GB from the internet and it arrived today. In the seller's site there was no model declaration.

When I received the device the box mentioned XT1033 with two IMEIs and really there were two SIM slots. I didn't order the dual sim version... But I didn't care. But, the software itself doesn't look like it knows there a second slot. :confused: And after checking, CPU-Z says I have the model "XT1032 (falcon_retgb)" and the Play Store says my device is XT1032.

Not that I care so much, but how exactly?? I'm new to this but I don't want to use a device that's been rooted and unlocked before I received it.

Last edited:

tansly

Jan 17, 2014
You can check if it is unlocked by going into bootloader. (vol down+power button while phone is off)
If it is unlocked then relocked, it will show status code 2 ( not sure, can't check now, but if it is never unlocked, it will be 0)
It seems like the seller flashed single sim rom on it, as it has 2 slots but it does not show in the software.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Nadavs10

Mar 24, 2013
You can check if it is unlocked by going into bootloader. (vol down+power button while phone is off)
If it is unlocked then relocked, it will show status code 2 ( not sure, can't check now, but if it is never unlocked, it will be 0)
It seems like the seller flashed single sim rom on it, as it has 2 slots but it does not show in the software.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answer. The status code is 0, which according to what you said means it was never unlocked. So how come the firmware thinks I have XT1032? Do you or someone has any explanation? Or a link or something?

tansly

Jan 17, 2014
Interesting... I have no idea, maybe I'm wrong about something. I hope someone with more knowledge can answer you :)

Nadavs10

Mar 24, 2013
Interesting... I have no idea, maybe I'm wrong about something. I hope someone with more knowledge can answer you :)

So after searching some more for info I can clarify my question a bit:

I received the Moto G from an authorized retailer (sealed with a label). It is XT1033 (I think India/Asia version) with a 4.4.2 Britain XT1032 stock ROM, and although it sounds like the retailer flashed it like in this guide, the bootloader says "Device is LOCKED. Status code: 0". So... How is this possible? Do you think someone really flashed it or am I missing something? And should I try to revert it back to the dual SIM ROM?

NextGenGTR

Nov 19, 2013
So after searching some more for info I can clarify my question a bit:

I received the Moto G from an authorized retailer (sealed with a label). It is XT1033 (I think India/Asia version) with a 4.4.2 Britain XT1032 stock ROM, and although it sounds like the retailer flashed it like in this guide, the bootloader says "Device is LOCKED. Status code: 0". So... How is this possible? Do you think someone really flashed it or am I missing something? And should I try to revert it back to the dual SIM ROM?
Contact the company first and let them know and then let them tell you what to do'n't so you do risk loosing your warranty.

small-mallet

Apr 14, 2010
Well, you could just flash the Asian firmware (dualsim) even with the bootloader locked. And no, It won't void your warranty as they are signed images and basically no way for them to know even if they cared.

Nadavs10

Mar 24, 2013
After getting help from you and from other fellows from the Motorola forum, I came to two conclusions:

1. An official Motorola firmware can be installed on the device with a locked bootloader (while only custom firmware cannot be installed). This means anyone can flash the XT1032 firmware to an XT1033 without any problem, and keep the bootloader at status "0".
  2. After checking the firmware installation date (see here), I can say with 99% confidence that the firmware was flashed before the device left the factory. The installation/flashing date is earlier than the date written on the box label. That means it is probably Motorola's fault.

Now I don't want to blame Motorola here, first because I'm not totally sure that this is exactly what happened and second because as far as it looks to me, it is a so minor fault that is easily reversible. In fact, I get updates faster than most dual-SIM users (the device gets XT1032 updates) but if in the future I'll need the dual function - I can switch.

Please correct me if anything is wrong.