3-Claro
GSM-900/1800 (GPRS, EDGE)
2100 MHz UMTS, HSDPA, HSPA+
2600 MHz LTE

4-Oi
GSM-1800 (GPRS, EDGE)
2100 MHz UMTS, HSDPA
2600 MHz LTE

I know LTE won´t work, and from what I remember of Tmo´s 3G our S4 needs two bands to work (1700/2100 ?).
Can I make it work on a single 2100 band?
Or, am I really doomed and stuck with EDGE or worse?

Thanks

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Its just a hard one to answer.. But you definitely won't get LTE, 3G/HSPA will probably be a hit or miss. Its not worth the gamble IMO

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

pcmp

Apr 4, 2008
Its just a hard one to answer.. But you definitely won't get LTE, 3G/HSPA will probably be a hit or miss. Its not worth the gamble IMO

Thanks. Unfortunately I already paid to get in. I´m in Brazil now for the world cup. I didn´t want to change my granfathered plan with tmo to get their "unlimited international data", and thinking about it, if I can get 3G with tmo over here then I can get with the local carriers. But what I´m afraid of is that tmo´s free data is only edge as they have a page saying "Standard speeds approx. 128 Kbps (for all countries)". So it wouldn´t do me much good to change the plans anyway.

What I was hoping was that the phone would be capable of using the 2100MHz both ways or that I could flash a radio that would allow the s4 to work that way.

I´ll test the first premise at the store on Wednesday. If anybody knows about the second one, please tell.

Thanks.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Oh I thought you lived in Brazil and was looking to get one.. And yup the standard is 2G unlimited but I think if you pay around $50 you get 5gb of high speed internet, which I guess would be 3g/hspa, don't know about LTE

Edit: there is a possibility 3g/h will work, all T-Mobile phones should support that band so hopefully it'll be able to pick it up

Last edited:

pcmp

Apr 4, 2008
Oh I thought you lived in Brazil and was looking to get one.. And yup the standard is 2G unlimited but I think if you pay around $50 you get 5gb of high speed internet, which I guess would be 3g/hspa, don't know about LTE

Edit: there is a possibility 3g/h will work, all T-Mobile phones should support that band so hopefully it'll be able to pick it up

Well, well, well... unless my phone is reporting wrong or their hspa+ is real fast here, i think I'm getting LTE in Brasil with a US phone.

As soon as I put the SIM card in, a LTE 4G sign appeared on thr top right. I couldn't believe it so I did a test with that speedtest app (oogla?) and got around 15Mbps download and around 3Mbps upload. The bad part is that the app used 50MB for test, which cost me around a buck just for the test. But it made me so happy that I think it was worth it.

So what do you think of that? Is this a real fast 3g+, or does this phone have the LTE band (4?) they use here?

There are stories about it having all the bands, and maybe the limited bands story is just FUD.

Would their sim card be able to make changes to the phone? Cause I found a new app with the carrier name installed after I put the sim in, and my phone wasn't set to allow installation from 'unknown sources'.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Well, well, well... unless my phone is reporting wrong or their hspa+ is real fast here, i think I'm getting LTE in Brasil with a US phone.

As soon as I put the SIM card in, a LTE 4G sign appeared on thr top right. I couldn't believe it so I did a test with that speedtest app (oogla?) and got around 15Mbps download and around 3Mbps upload. The bad part is that the app used 50MB for test, which cost me around a buck just for the test. But it made me so happy that I think it was worth it.

So what do you think of that? Is this a real fast 3g+, or does this phone have the LTE band (4?) they use here?

There are stories about it having all the bands, and maybe the limited bands story is just FUD.

Would their sim card be able to make changes to the phone? Cause I found a new app with the carrier name installed after I put the sim in, and my phone wasn't set to allow installation from 'unknown sources'.
that's surprising but yes it does have band 4 LTE, good to know it works!! didn't think 2600mhz would be band 4, or it may have larger support for LTE bands, couldn't say for sure since I never go out of the country to test on my own

Edit: and what do you mean making changes to the phone?

Last edited:

rlichtefeld

Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA

If you see the 4G LTE symbol in the notification bar, then you are using 4G LTE. Kewl.

Rob