14 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,097

By geohot, Inactive Recognized Developer on 15th June 2014, 01:46 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
18th June 2014, 12:12 AM |#2201  
Flag South West UK
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Doesn't work on the SM-P600 either (UK Note 10.1 2014) on JB.

18th June 2014, 12:18 AM |#2202  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmelo

This method is fantastic and really works on my S5 SM-G900M! Awesome!
I just got one problem, my apk S Health always get Force Closed. Do you guys know how to fix it?

It's amazing... i'am rooted with Knox 0x0!

: laugh:

The solution for me was to defrost Samsung updates. I first froze it immediately after achieving root. The health app kept force closing after that. So i defrosted the samsung update. Then ran the health app. It will immediateky ask for an update. Then the health service will ask for an update. Once they updated I froze Samsung updates again. Health works just fine for me now. FYI there are also some people having issues with xposed and the health app but I think somewhere in this thread there are work arounds. I'm not using xposed though but just in case you are I thought I'd mention that. Again my issues were due to me having the Samsung updater frozen and I'd been refusing all updates from Samsung for fear they might have closed a vulnerability in the system that could have lead to root. Now that I've gotten root I let the health app and service update and I've had no more force closes. Still got root too

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to wataytay69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wataytay69 Ad-Free
18th June 2014, 12:35 AM |#2203  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 stock.

I can't apply towelroot, once I click "make it ra1n" it stops for a while and then reboots (no messages/feedback at all).

Tried to install on I9505XXUFNB9 and even flahsed to I9505XXUFNB8 through ODIN just in case, no dice.

Any ideas?
18th June 2014, 12:38 AM |#2204  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 205

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPERIMENTONGOD

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505.

I can't apply towelroot, once I click "make it ra1n" it stops for a while and then reboots (no messages/feedback at all).

Tried to install on stock (I9505XXUFNB9) and even flahsed to I9505XXUFNB through ODIN just in case, no dice.

Any ideas?

it does the same for all of us u should just get supper user and see if you have root

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
18th June 2014, 12:49 AM |#2205  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydiamond11

it does the same for all of us u should just get supper user and see if you have root

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I already checked, it's not rooted. It's supposed to show this (imagen on the right) but I never see that message.

18th June 2014, 01:05 AM |#2206  
Flag Anaheim, CA
Thanks Meter: 808

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPERIMENTONGOD

I already checked, it's not rooted. It's supposed to show this (imagen on the right) but I never see that message.

What model do you have?...
18th June 2014, 01:08 AM |#2207  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSMEJOSE

What model do you have?...

Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505) with 4.4.2 Kit Kat (I9505XXUFNB8) right now
18th June 2014, 01:15 AM |#2208  
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,623

Donate to Me
More
Rooting 101
This thread is full of repeated questions with incorrect or incomplete answers about rooting. Let's try to answer some of those.

Can I flash TWRP, CWM, custom Recovery, etc after Towelroot?
No, unless your phone has an unlocked bootloader. If you have a locked bootloader, you can't flash a custom ROM or custom kernel other than by use of things like Safestrap.

My phone says "Custom" and an open padlock on boot!! Oh wow, is it now unlocked????
Sorry, no. The "Custom" indication means that the phone has been modified, which is detected by a program that runs periodically looking for changed files. If you bring in your phone to the carrier with "Custom" showing, they may refuse warranty. To recover that, flash a factory stock ROM, boot, then wait for an hour or two. No, that padlock doesn't indicate anything other than

How do I un-root?
Undo anything you've done first. For example, defrost frozen apps, reinstall things you deleted, uninstall Xposed, etc. Then, once you're back to stock, open SuperSU and use the "Full Unroot" option under settings. If you don't remember what you changed, or didn't keep the files around, then you'll need to re-flash factory stock.

What about Knox?
First, no, this does not "trip Knox", which is slang for "Set the Knox Warranty Void flag." (Saying "trip knox" is incorrect but commonly used.)
Knox is a security program that Samsung uses to market their phones to corporates. There's a Knox-enabled bootloader as part of that program. That Bootloader detects attempts to flash a custom kernel and when it sees you try, it blows an e-Fuse that remembers that, which shows up as the Knox Warranty Void flag. The Knox bootloader refuses to allow custom recovery to be flashed as well. Currently, there's no way to bypass that other than the Loki exploit.

Since Towelroot doesn't flash a custom kernel or custom recovery, it will not set the Knox Warranty Void flag.
Other parts of the Knox program care about the Knox Warranty Void flag - for example, the Knox Secure Container Service, which can be used to hold encrypted corporate data. The other part of the Knox program is the security enforcement on the phone. That Knox enforcement kills programs that try to use root permissions. That's what SuperSU is talking about when it offers to "Disable Knox".
The Secure Container service will not run on a phone with the Knox Warranty Void flag set. That's the only thing "tripping knox" does, to disable the containers. So far there's no evidence that this is used by carriers to reject warranty service.

Do I really need SuperSU installed?
Yes, absolutely. Without it, any program wanting root will get it, which means that the "My Verizon Mobile" spyware will be granted root and will report your phone to Verizon as being rooted. You do not want this, as it's a sure means for VZ to reject warranty claims. Install SuperSU 1.99 from the OP.so you can block that sort of application from ratting you out.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k1mu Ad-Free
18th June 2014, 01:35 AM |#2209  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 8,115

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu

This thread is full of repeated questions with incorrect or incomplete answers about rooting. Let's try to answer some of those.

Can I flash TWRP, CWM, custom Recovery, etc after Towelroot?
No, unless your phone has an unlocked bootloader. If you have a locked bootloader, you can't flash a custom ROM or custom kernel other than by use of things like Safestrap.

My phone says "Custom" and an open padlock on boot!! Oh wow, is it now unlocked????
Sorry, no. The "Custom" indication means that the phone has been modified, which is detected by a program that runs periodically looking for changed files. If you bring in your phone to the carrier with "Custom" showing, they may refuse warranty. To recover that, flash a factory stock ROM, boot, then wait for an hour or two. No, that padlock doesn't indicate anything other than

How do I un-root?
Undo anything you've done first. For example, defrost frozen apps, reinstall things you deleted, uninstall Xposed, etc. Then, once you're back to stock, open SuperSU and use the "Full Unroot" option under settings. If you don't remember what you changed, or didn't keep the files around, then you'll need to re-flash factory stock.

What about Knox?
First, no, this does not "trip Knox", which is slang for "Set the Knox Warranty Void flag." (Saying "trip knox" is incorrect but commonly used.)
Knox is a security program that Samsung uses to market their phones to corporates. There's a Knox-enabled bootloader as part of that program. That Bootloader detects attempts to flash a custom kernel and when it sees you try, it blows an e-Fuse that remembers that, which shows up as the Knox Warranty Void flag. The Knox bootloader refuses to allow custom recovery to be flashed as well. Currently, there's no way to bypass that other than the Loki exploit.

Since Towelroot doesn't flash a custom kernel or custom recovery, it will not set the Knox Warranty Void flag.
Other parts of the Knox program care about the Knox Warranty Void flag - for example, the Knox Secure Container Service, which can be used to hold encrypted corporate data. The other part of the Knox program is the security enforcement on the phone. That Knox enforcement kills programs that try to use root permissions. That's what SuperSU is talking about when it offers to "Disable Knox".
The Secure Container service will not run on a phone with the Knox Warranty Void flag set. That's the only thing "tripping knox" does, to disable the containers. So far there's no evidence that this is used by carriers to reject warranty service.

Do I really need SuperSU installed?
Yes, absolutely. Without it, any program wanting root will get it, which means that the "My Verizon Mobile" spyware will be granted root and will report your phone to Verizon as being rooted. You do not want this, as it's a sure means for VZ to reject warranty claims. Install SuperSU 1.99 from the OP.so you can block that sort of application from ratting you out.

this might b too detailed for the noobs lol. you forgot to mention for ppl to use the search feature before asking the same question since theyll most likely find multiple answers lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2014, 01:36 AM |#2210  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane W.

I had this "problem" too. As posted by a few others (100's of posts ago) I simply uninstalled SU > Reboot phone > Extract apk to browser (I used Dolphin cause chrome goes right to play store & you do not want the play store version > reinstall SU > Rebooted again (cause I just felt like it) and...........Bang! SU is good to go! Screenshot is below for your viewing pleasure

During this 2nd install is when Disable Knox appeared (it didn't upon my 1st SU install) - select to disable it and the knox concerns are gone

no luck.
18th June 2014, 01:49 AM |#2211  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone_Enterprise

Titanium Backup.

Can you save the system apps with Titanium Backup in case you decide you deleted one that you want to restore at a later date?
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread