Phone charges faster from external battery than AC

Search This thread

Skyrocketing

Feb 3, 2011
Just something I've been noticing, my phone charges must faster using an external battery than the wall AC adapter. Anyone have an idea why? Battery is 5V/1A, adapter is 5V/2A. Same occurs for other adapter that is 5V/1A output. I happen to be using a third party micro USB cable.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Just something I've been noticing, my phone charges must faster using an external battery than the wall AC adapter. Anyone have an idea why? Battery is 5V/1A, adapter is 5V/2A. Same occurs for other adapter that is 5V/1A output. I happen to be using a third party micro USB cable.

Something is odd there. 2 amp should always beat 1 amp.

Skyrocketing

Feb 3, 2011
Something is odd there. 2 amp should always beat 1 amp.

Well I do know that phones have a limit of how much power they can receive regardless of the output of the adapter. But that's not that I'm confused about. The external battery pack and the other adapter have the same output but the AC adapter charges much more slowly. For example, I was using my phone heavily last night as to where my phone battery was decreasing while plugged into the wall adapter. Once I switched to the external battery it started increasing my phone battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

EDIT: May have figured out the problem. At least testing with my Nexus 7 using the stock Nexus 7 AC adapter, I compared the charging speed using the stock Nexus 7 cable and my third party cable. In 15 minutes using the stock cable it charged about 10%. In 15 minutes using the third party, about 2-3%. I never knew that the cable could affect the charging speed.

Last edited:

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Well I do know that phones have a limit of how much power they can receive regardless of the output of the adapter. But that's not that I'm confused about. The external battery pack and the other adapter have the same output but the AC adapter charges much more slowly. For example, I was using my phone heavily last night as to where my phone battery was decreasing while plugged into the wall adapter. Once I switched to the external battery it started increasing my phone battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

EDIT: May have figured out the problem. At least testing with my Nexus 7 using the stock Nexus 7 AC adapter, I compared the charging speed using the stock Nexus 7 cable and my third party cable. In 15 minutes using the stock cable it charged about 10%. In 15 minutes using the third party, about 2-3%. I never knew that the cable could affect the charging speed.

A lot of times yes. My original charger works a lot better than any other one but I also utilize fast charge from lean kernel for example but it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2