[Q] Attained root with TowelRoot, how to install custom recovery and ROM?

Search This thread

rfkrocktk

Jul 16, 2010
I've just been able to (finally) get root on my AT&T G900A Galaxy S5. (And I tipped TowelRoot, because this is awesome.)

I just tried installing a custom recovery with "dd," and Sammy's secure boot broke everything until I was able to restore the stock recovery via Odin. How can I install a custom recovery on this device? Is there a way to stop and deactivate Samsung's secure boot now that I have root?

I'm really looking to get started trying out Team Hydra's CM 11 implementation for the device, but first need a recovery and a way to bypass the secure boot feature on the device. How do I do that?

joshyc5

Nov 29, 2012
Yeah, this is going to suck to hear, but you can't. The G900A has a locked bootloader, which means the best you'll be able to do is use Safe Strap and other TouchWiz based roms only.

rfkrocktk

Jul 16, 2010
I'm hearing mixed replies: one says that it's not possible, one says that it is.

Will we ever be able to flash custom recoveries and ROMs to the G900A?

ronnie498

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 22, 2010
I'm hearing mixed replies: one says that it's not possible, one says that it is.

Will we ever be able to flash custom recoveries and ROMs to the G900A?

If you have the AT&T S5 it has a locked boot loader which means sadly that you are not able to flash a custom recovery.

rfkrocktk

Jul 16, 2010
Understood. Sorry, I was just trying to clarify whether I should completely give up on the idea of possibly running CyanogenMod on my phone.

By the way, how does unlocking the bootloader work? Can they just dd the bootloader and brute-force it, or what's typically done?