FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,148 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,679

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 02:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd May 2014, 04:02 PM |#601  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
@benkxda, would you mind also including a link to my post #596 in your "Requests for Fairphone" list ? A possible short description could be "Please allow for a considerable amount of time for users to give feedback, prior to a final release of your repartitioning solution. Also, please make this solution optional so users have the option not to modify the partition structure (for whatever reason) without being locked out from future OS updates."

This isn't an issue/question Fairphone isn't aware of already (@joemier has already announced an upcoming Q&A on the support pages), but its importance cannot be overstated. On the one hand, more & more users will run into problems with the small amount of factory-set internal storage. On the other hand, any partitioning/unification solution Fairphone may come up, has the potential to wreak havoc if not every possible scenario has been carefully considered (and preferably tested) in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fisher_AZ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fisher_AZ Ad-Free
26th May 2014, 06:01 PM |#602  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher_AZ

@benkxda, would you mind also including a link to my post #596 in your "Requests for Fairphone" list ? A possible short description could be "Please allow for a considerable amount of time for users to give feedback, prior to a final release of your repartitioning solution. Also, please make this solution optional so users have the option not to modify the partition structure (for whatever reason) without being locked out from future OS updates."

This isn't an issue/question Fairphone isn't aware of already (@joemier has already announced an upcoming Q&A on the support pages), but its importance cannot be overstated. On the one hand, more & more users will run into problems with the small amount of factory-set internal storage. On the other hand, any partitioning/unification solution Fairphone may come up, has the potential to wreak havoc if not every possible scenario has been carefully considered (and preferably tested) in advance.

Added, thanks for your reminder. Will be sent in a couple of hours.

Requests to Fairphone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
5th June 2014, 10:24 PM |#603  
OP Senior Member

More
Hey folks,

an article at heise online (German) showed a ranking from rank a brand.

The question was: HOW SUSTAINABLE ARE YOUR FAVOURITE BRANDS?
The title of the blog entry says enough: FAIRPHONE SHAKES UP ELECTRONICS BRANDS (English)

And here you get the image of their contest:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
12th June 2014, 05:19 PM |#604  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Mediatek opening their treasure box?
Unfortunately I may not (yet) post new threads, so I have to bring it in here:

Mediatek plans to launch a developer centric ecosystem in Q3/2014 and everyone is like "yeah, finally we will have Custom ROMs for the Fairphone!" We'll see.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-be-more-open/

http://www.mediatek.com/en/computex2...ric-ecosystem/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirtycutmaster For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dirtycutmaster Ad-Free
13th June 2014, 04:37 PM |#605  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Oh, did not know that one. Thanks for it. Added this thread to the rare but still updated Fairphone index. Some custom ROMs/kernels as well as mods and themes would push me to update in a higher frequency as well as vivid the Fairphone community on XDA.

Added both of the requests.
I am pretty interested about the glued display. This is what I never did in repairing devices and honestly don't ever want to. It's like using a hot air blower / hairdryer against electronics, if you want to "unglue" the parts. Maybe there is a good reason? I don't know. Hopefully it's not that difficult as this iPhone ... really crazy.

Anyway, you can see your requests here:
Requests to Fairphone

@benkxda @joemier any reactions on the two questions?

I also would like to know, if all the other parts of fairphone version 2 will be the same?
So it would be possible to change the motherboard and get a new chipset?

And I would l would like to know, why does the frontfacing camera makes pictures up to 5 MP, when the technical detail site still says 1.3 MP?

And as last point: Is it possible to include into next update, to decrease the minimum brightness of the display? At night it's still to bright.

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to haiag For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haiag Ad-Free
14th June 2014, 03:50 PM |#606  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Hey folks,

an article at heise online (German) showed a ranking from rank a brand.

The question was: HOW SUSTAINABLE ARE YOUR FAVOURITE BRANDS?
The title of the blog entry says enough: FAIRPHONE SHAKES UP ELECTRONICS BRANDS (English)

And here you get the image of their contest:

Thanks for the link. I get the impression that these folks from rankabrand.de have the same approach to their work as Fairphone itself: "We don't have the capacity to do the perfect job, but we try everything within our limits." So the study is far from thorough or even representative - they only use the information they find on the companies' websites, no follow-up investigation, no long-term tests; if you look at how they work, they only take what everyone can read for themselves and then repackage it.

But then again, that's all Greenpeace does, as well - and you gotta start somewhere. So far, they're only volunteers, let's hope that they get bigger and can do in-depth analyses of the big manufacturers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtycutmaster

Mediatek plans to launch a developer centric ecosystem in Q3/2014 and everyone is like "yeah, finally we will have Custom ROMs for the Fairphone!" We'll see.

Yay, then it's only a matter of a few more years now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiag

benkxda, joemier any reactions on the two questions?

I also would like to know, if all the other parts of fairphone version 2 will be the same?
So it would be possible to change the motherboard and get a new chipset?

Interesting questions - I'd like to know more, as well. Regarding our old requests: Given the speed of Fairphone's replies, I wouldn't expect an answer to these questions until next month. However, it's been almost 8 weeks since the question regarding proper kernel sources was sent out... so I think it's about time we deserve to know what's up with that.

And that brings me to my final gripe: If you want a quick reply from Fairphone, you've got to complain on their Facebook page. It sucks to resort to such measures, but apparently the publicity of it makes them reply on the same day. So if @joemier doesn't show up here next week, I'd be happy if someone could start bitching and moaning about it on their FB page...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simsalonaut For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift simsalonaut Ad-Free
17th June 2014, 11:25 AM |#607  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 214

More
17 June, update to XDA
Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback under recent requests. I've sent them to the software team, and they'll be replying to you.

We've recently welcomed a new software team member, so I'm eager to introduce him.

Cheers-
Joe
FP Community Manager

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I should also add about the list of requests:

Software developers are still working on the difficult business of pushing a fix for the internal storage partitioning to all users. More on that soon from Kees, our new software team member.

Cheers,
Joe
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joemier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joemier Ad-Free
19th June 2014, 12:21 PM |#608  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Hi,

I am Kees and I have started working for Fairphone at the first of June. As
Embedded software developer and Open Source addict I spent most of my career
doing what I like most: writing software and playing with hardware.

I joined the Fairphone team because I believe that a Fairphone phone deserves
to be running Open Source software. I will do what I can, certainly in the
future, to make this happen.

Currently? Currently I am working on getting the software for the second batch
ready for production. The new phones are to come with an slightly updated
software stack and will be using the new unified partition scheme (Using fuse
to emulate external storage)

At the same time I am looking at the technical possibilities of upgrading the
current phones to the new partition scheme (this is where I hope to get some
technical input form XDA members).

the xrteamer forum has a nice write-up on the layout changes (I might post the
link once I have permission to post links on the forum). and their current solution
(that involves wiping the data). I am currently basing my work on theirs.

One of the biggest (annoying) changes to user is that the phone will no longer
provide mass storage functionality unless an external SD-card is inserted. This
has impact on how a proper backup and recovery can be done (backup using mass
storage and recovery using MTP?). For the typical Fairphone user I estimate
that this will be to much hassle and we need to find an alternative solution.

I was thinking of perhaps requesting the user to temporarily insert an SD-card
for the update. But for now I am still simply looking at the upgrade (not the
backup/restore yet) and this involves changing the partition layout while
upgrading.

I am not used to using forum's much as I tend to prefer using irc and mailing
list but I will try to keep you posted and use your minds as much a possible.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to _keesj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _keesj Ad-Free
19th June 2014, 09:32 PM |#609  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _keesj

Hi,

I am Kees and I have started working for Fairphone at the first of June. As
Embedded software developer and Open Source addict I spent most of my career
doing what I like most: writing software and playing with hardware.

I joined the Fairphone team because I believe that a Fairphone phone deserves
to be running Open Source software. I will do what I can, certainly in the
future, to make this happen.

Currently? Currently I am working on getting the software for the second batch
ready for production. The new phones are to come with an slightly updated
software stack and will be using the new unified partition scheme (Using fuse
to emulate external storage)

At the same time I am looking at the technical possibilities of upgrading the
current phones to the new partition scheme (this is where I hope to get some
technical input form XDA members).

the xrteamer forum has a nice write-up on the layout changes (I might post the
link once I have permission to post links on the forum). and their current solution
(that involves wiping the data). I am currently basing my work on theirs.

One of the biggest (annoying) changes to user is that the phone will no longer
provide mass storage functionality unless an external SD-card is inserted. This
has impact on how a proper backup and recovery can be done (backup using mass
storage and recovery using MTP?). For the typical Fairphone user I estimate
that this will be to much hassle and we need to find an alternative solution.

I was thinking of perhaps requesting the user to temporarily insert an SD-card
for the update. But for now I am still simply looking at the upgrade (not the
backup/restore yet) and this involves changing the partition layout while
upgrading.

I am not used to using forum's much as I tend to prefer using irc and mailing
list but I will try to keep you posted and use your minds as much a possible.

Hi Kees and very welcome here on XDA Developers. Great to have you in here.

I see you have a few ideas, which are also discussed in here, like the partition issue. You're allowed to post links after your post number 30. Until then, just post your link as text. I think you'll soon find out the advantage of those open forums and get used to use it.
If you have questions about XDA Developers or this thread organization, I'll try to answer, but you can also ask with a post in the thread and others might be faster with an answer.

All the best and may the source be with you... yadda yadda yadda you already knew that one
The Following User Says Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
20th June 2014, 08:15 AM |#610  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
In early June, a critical security issue was discoverd in the linux kernel

Quote:

CVE-2014-3153
Pinkie Pie discovered an issue in the futex subsystem that allows a local user to gain ring 0 control via the futex syscall. An unprivileged user could use this flaw to crash the kernel (resulting in denial of service) or for privilege escalation.

Leading to the devloppement of this app http://towelroot.com/ wich allow user to gain root acces on their phone.

More here.

My phone is already root thanks to Fairphone and I wish no application could get root acces unless I give it to it.
@joemier Is FairPhone affected by this issue, and if so, are you planning an update to fix it soon ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MoreThanADev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MoreThanADev Ad-Free
20th June 2014, 10:10 AM |#611  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanADev

My phone is already root thanks to Fairphone and I wish no application could get root acces unless I give it to it.

The Fairphone has been quite "open" in that respect (e.g. root by default) and adbd running as root. We started fixing a few of those issues (for the sake of security) but there is a still long way to go.

About the kernel vulnerability: as you mention it does affect the kernel but has limited impact on the Fairphone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _keesj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _keesj Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)