How to get rid of the default emoji?

Search This thread

guetzli32

May 8, 2014
Stockholm
If you're not rooted then there's no way to do so. If you are rooted however, it's pretty easy. Reply to me if you want to know how.

guetzli32

May 8, 2014
Stockholm
I want for sure, maybe I'll root because of it

TY

THis only works if you are rooted, as I stated before.

I'm pretty sure you have to this:
With root access,

1. go to /system/fonts
2. rename NotoColorEmoji.ttf to anythign you'd like(lika a backup of it)
3. rename AndroidEmoji.ttf to NotoColorEmoji.tff
4. reboot

That SHOULD do the trick. I'm more used to changing the emoji to apple's Emoji to match them with Whatsapp.

blackguy101

Jun 11, 2012
THis only works if you are rooted, as I stated before.

I'm pretty sure you have to this:
With root access,

1. go to /system/fonts
2. rename NotoColorEmoji.ttf to anythign you'd like(lika a backup of it)
3. rename AndroidEmoji.ttf to NotoColorEmoji.tff
4. reboot

That SHOULD do the trick. I'm more used to changing the emoji to apple's Emoji to match them with Whatsapp.

How do I go about getting the apple Emojis?

guetzli32

May 8, 2014
Stockholm
How do I go about getting the apple Emojis?

Grab AppleColorEmoji.ttf and place it into /system/fonts/
Set /system/fonts/AppleColorEmoji.ttf to have permissions 644 (rw-r--r--) and owner:root group:root.
then do the process mentioned above, but use AppleColorEmoji instead of AndroidEmoji.

Also, right now there's no reason not to root, since towelroot doesn't trip the Knox Counter. That way, you keep your warranty and also have the benefits of a rooted phone. (Don't quote me on that, that's at least what I read ;))

Last edited:

blackguy101

Jun 11, 2012
Grab AppleColorEmoji.ttf and place it into /system/fonts/
Set /system/fonts/AppleColorEmoji.ttf to have permissions 644 (rw-r--r--) and owner:root group:root.
then do the process mentioned above, but use AppleColorEmoji instead of AndroidEmoji.

Also, right now there's no reason not to root, since towelroot doesn't trip the Knox Counter. That way, you keep your warranty and also have the benefits of a rooted phone. (Don't quote me on that, that's at least what I read ;))

Is it possible if you can link the apple color emoji file again because the link is dead :/

paolobacci

Jul 12, 2010
Niterói
Renaming the Android didn't do the trick.
I got only a few emoticons to choose.
I just did the root with towel root but I tried before with cf auto root and I'm waiting for a solution to reset knoxx counter back to 0.

Ciggyy

Apr 14, 2010
This didn't seem to work at all. Anyone else have an idea? Samsungs emoji's are terrible.