4G showing full bars...performs at very low speeds

Search This thread

Sep 17, 2010
Los Angeles
As the title states... I have full bars but max out at 2mbps on average. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Just flashed the newest carbon nightly.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wh1t3Rose

Try updating your radio. Also it's your dBm and asu that matters not how many bars you have. What's your dBm and asu when you have low speed? You can find out in About phone/status. I say a dBm around 85-90 is average. Anything over 100 is not good. 75 dBm is common for big cities near towers. Your asu is the amount of interference between you and the tower. The higher this # the better.

I know I got a bit technical there but I want to educate users how to properly read signal strength and not rely on misleading signal bars.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sep 17, 2010
Los Angeles
Try updating your radio. Also it's your dBm and asu that matters not how many bars you have. What's your dBm and asu when you have low speed? You can find out in About phone/status. I say a dBm around 85-90 is average. Anything over 100 is not good. 75 dBm is common for big cities near towers. Your asu is the amount of interference between you and the tower. The higher this # the better.

I know I got a bit technical there but I want to educate users how to properly read signal strength and not rely on misleading signal bars.

Currently I show 0 dBm. I have no service in my home. I will try updating my radio, maybe that will help. Do you by any chance know the latest version?

Thank you for the quick reply. Appreciate it.

***EDIT

I am currently on I535VRBMF1, which I think is the latest?

Wh1t3Rose

Currently I show 0 dBm. I have no service in my home. I will try updating my radio, maybe that will help. Do you by any chance know the latest version?

Thank you for the quick reply. Appreciate it.

***EDIT

I am currently on I535VRBMF1, which I think is the latest?

ML1 is actually the latest. Mf1 should work though. That's the one I use. Go to about phone/status. Do you show an IMEI # and MEID #? If it says 0 or is blank that if a problem. does it say roaming or disconnected for network status.

Just a quick warning. If you decide to go ML1 that's a 4.3 radio. Be absolutely sure that you are flashing the radio only and not the full firmware package. If you flash the full firmware (aka all-in-one packages) You will brick and be stuck with a locked bootloader forever.

Last edited:

simpson173

Sep 25, 2013
Hartford
ML1 is actually the latest. Mf1 should work though. That's the one I use. Go to about phone/status. Do you show an IMEI # and MEID #? If it says 0 or is blank that if a problem. does it say roaming or disconnected for network status.

Just a quick warning. If you decide to go ML1 that's a 4.3 radio. Be absolutely sure that you are flashing the radio only and not the full firmware package. If you flash the full firmware (aka all-in-one packages) You will brick and be stuck with a locked bootloader forever.

After following this thread I now realize I am on a 4.3 radio( ML1 )which explains slot seeing how I have been on a 4.4.2 rom forever. I don't know how my baseband......or firmware.... or whatever it is exactly got changed but does anyone have a link for the correct radio for my device running this firmware? If more info is needed from my device please tell me what to look for. Thank you.

My baseband is 1535 VRUCML1 if that helps. Thank you again for any help from anyone.
Mobile network state... disconnected
Mobile Network Type... Edge
IMEI SV 00
Not roaming
Signal strength - 93 dbm 10 asu

Last edited:

Wh1t3Rose

After following this thread I now realize I am on a 4.3 radio( ML1 )which explains slot seeing how I have been on a 4.4.2 rom forever. I don't know how my baseband......or firmware.... or whatever it is exactly got changed but does anyone have a link for the correct radio for my device running this firmware? If more info is needed from my device please tell me what to look for. Thank you.

My baseband is 1535 VRUCML1 if that helps. Thank you again for any help from anyone.
IMEI SV 00
Not roaming

It actually does not matter. That is the latest radio. You should be fine. Do me a favor give me a screen shot of your about phone/status page. You will need to scroll down to get all the info so you will probably need to submit 2 screenshots. This page includes your phone # so be sure to omit that part. You can get everything in 2 screenshots if you skip your phone #.

Last edited:
Reactions: simpson173

simpson173

Sep 25, 2013
Hartford
I honestly cannot omit my phone number....I don't know how. Both pages show it with the screenshot. So what if the xda world gets it right? But Thanks....

Wh1t3Rose

I honestly cannot omit my phone number....I don't know how. Both pages show it with the screenshot. So what if the xda world gets it right? But Thanks....

Hmm that's strange. Okay you can omit it using Photoshop and just put a black line.

But if that's too much trouble just tell me if you have an IMEI # MEID # and ICCID #. As long as none of these are 0's you are OK.

Also what is your PRL version #? I need your PRL exactly.

simpson173

Sep 25, 2013
Hartford
Hmm that's strange. Okay you can omit it using Photoshop and just put a black line.

But if that's too much trouble just tell me if you have an IMEI # MEID # and ICCID #. As long as none of these are 0's you are OK.

Also what is your PRL version #? I need your PRL exactly.

Only IMEI # is showing up nothing else. I am using NET10. as my carrier. Technically this phone is not supposed to work with net 10. Is there a dialer code I can put to get the information you want? The phone works fine I can make calls, text, have data, connect to Wi-Fi, all using straight talks apn's. I used to manually put net 10's apn's but after a couple of days would lose my contacts and data. It drove me crazy for months. I'm kind of new at all this so thank you for your patience.

After talking with a friend I guess I am stuck with Edge for my mobile network type seeing how I am trying to use an incompatible phone with this carrier. I have 2 s3's from At &t. One my wife spilled juice in but I managed to get working but now has Gremlins so I gave her my phone. Had this Verizon so I did all I could to make it work......oh well for now slow is better than nothing. Thanks again

Last edited:

Sep 17, 2010
Los Angeles

Alright got you. I am on 4.3 right now. So if I go ahead and flash just the radio I should be fine? Where can I find just the radios?

Also I do show an IMEI and an MEID. The phone is not roaming and is not disconnected. Running the latest clean rom right now. Decided to switch to a TW rom for better reception.

I am willing to flash the new radio. I'll do some looking. Thanks again for the quick reply!

***EDIT

I also have a ICCID # and my PRL version is 15287. Seems that everything is working alright for me. I would just rather update to ML1.

******2ND EDIT**
sorry for the multiple edits. I found the original thread for the firmware. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788313

The links are dead I believe.

Last edited:

Wh1t3Rose

Give me about 45 minutes and I will upload the ML1 radio for you. On my way to work and do not want to miss my train. It's a tight connection

**Edit**

Just flash in recovery and reboot. If you reboot and do not recieve a signal do not panic. Just wait 2-3 minutes after you boot and then reboot a 2nd time. Wait 2-3 minutes. You should have signal again after a 2nd reboot

ML1 Modem: https://app.box.com/s/ce5hw86hl0uz4783no73

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

Alright got you. I am on 4.3 right now. So if I go ahead and flash just the radio I should be fine? Where can I find just the radios?

Make sure you are in fact on 4.3. If you are you do not need to flash the firmware technically. Just the radio. You can flash the ML1 firmware If you couldn't find just the radio as the radio is included in a firmware package. There's nothing wrong with that ONLY IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON 4.3

But I uploaded the ML1 radio by itself in my post above this one. Just flash in recovery and you are good to go. Remember you can flash just the radio when on ANY Android version. What you do not what to do is flash 4.3 FIRMWARE on a 4.4 custom ROM or anything that's not based on the 4.3 Stock ROM. You will brick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 996

Sep 17, 2010
Los Angeles
Thank you very much for your support man. Alright so if I do go ahead and flash this radio ONLY (the one you uploaded), and then later on I decide to flash a 4.4 AOSP ROM, I should be fine right? and the radio I am assuming will stay ML1.

Thanks again.

Wh1t3Rose

Thank you very much for your support man. Alright so if I do go ahead and flash this radio ONLY (the one you uploaded), and then later on I decide to flash a 4.4 AOSP ROM, I should be fine right? and the radio I am assuming will stay ML1.

Thanks again.

That's correct. Your radio will never change unless you flash a different radio (or if you flash another firmware which you want to avoid unless you want to lose your unlocked bootloader forever). Radio never changes on a ROM or Kernel change.

Reactions: 996

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

IMEI SV 00
    Not roaming

It actually does not matter. That is the latest radio. You should be fine. Do me a favor give me a screen shot of your about phone/status page. You will need to scroll down to get all the info so you will probably need to submit 2 screenshots. This page includes your phone # so be sure to omit that part. You can get everything in 2 screenshots if you skip your phone #.

Give me about 45 minutes and I will upload the ML1 radio for you. On my way to work and do not want to miss my train. It's a tight connection

**Edit**

Just flash in recovery and reboot. If you reboot and do not recieve a signal do not panic. Just wait 2-3 minutes after you boot and then reboot a 2nd time. Wait 2-3 minutes. You should have signal again after a 2nd reboot

ML1 Modem: https://app.box.com/s/ce5hw86hl0uz4783no73

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

Make sure you are in fact on 4.3. If you are you do not need to flash the firmware technically. Just the radio. You can flash the ML1 firmware If you couldn't find just the radio as the radio is included in a firmware package. There's nothing wrong with that ONLY IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON 4.3

But I uploaded the ML1 radio by itself in my post above this one. Just flash in recovery and you are good to go. Remember you can flash just the radio when on ANY Android version. What you do not what to do is flash 4.3 FIRMWARE on a 4.4 custom ROM or anything that's not based on the 4.3 Stock ROM. You will brick.

Thanks again.

That's correct. Your radio will never change unless you flash a different radio (or if you flash another firmware which you want to avoid unless you want to lose your unlocked bootloader forever). Radio never changes on a ROM or Kernel change.

Thank you very much.

No problem. Post back or send a pm if you have any more questions :)