Limitations of just root

Search This thread

windstrings

Nov 22, 2009
I'm new to all this. Sorry for the long intro but pls indulge me so you can answer my question appropriately.

I have the gs4 nc5 and Thx to towel root I obtained root with ease, and so I'm running the stock ROM.

I've installed supersu and a few apps that have really cleaned and sped things up and basically I am very happy.

However that's relative to my experience so far.

Knox is not tripped and I Uninstalled it even though I understand it's still in the bootloader.

Now to my question.....
I installed "setcpu" and it seemed I basically couldn't do much because my kernel is still stock too. I was hoping to overclock a tad or at least run in performance mode but setcpu told me performance mode wasn't an option with my existing kernel.

At this point should I be happy with what I've got or should I explore installing a different kernel?

I really don't want to start at scratch with a new ROM... I just have too many things to configure. Maybe I'll get the guts for that at a later date.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Sent from my GS4 Zombie Communicator

bryantjopplin

Sep 15, 2010
I'm new to all this. Sorry for the long intro but pls indulge me so you can answer my question appropriately.

I have the gs4 nc5 and Thx to towel root I obtained root with ease, and so I'm running the stock ROM.

I've installed supersu and a few apps that have really cleaned and sped things up and basically I am very happy.

Knox is not tripped and I Uninstalled it even though I understand it's still in the bootloader.

Now to my question.....
I installed "setcpu" and it seemed I basically couldn't do much because my kernel is still stock too. I was hoping to overclock a tad or at least run in performance mode but setcpu told me performance mode wasn't an option with my existing kernel.

At this point should I be happy with what I've got or should I explore installing a different kernel?

I really don't want to start at scratch with a new ROM... I just have too many things to configure. Maybe I'll get the guts for that at a later date.

Unless you have the first bootloader, which you don't, there is no way to change your Kernel. If you try you will get an unauthorized message on startup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: windstrings

Shaftamle

Inactive Recognized Themer

Now to my question.....

1)Wrong section. Question should go in Help and Troubleshooting.
2)Has been addressed many times in the original post. Read there
3) As was said before me, you can't touch the kernel cause your boot loader is still locked.

Sent from a Shaftamle Galaxy S4
"Thanks Button" is always appreciated!
CheckOutMyThemedGoogleKeyboards!!!!!!

MyColorScreen

Last edited:

windstrings

Nov 22, 2009
Thx, using Tapatalk is tough on such a massive forum, sorry for mis-posting..

I

windstrings

Nov 22, 2009
Thx, based on my present configuration, what happens when an OTA is released,
1. will it even prompt to update?
2. If TW won't work with 4.3, seems I would lose root to upgrade to 4.3 or higher (sounds like too buggy anyway, but just wondering what to expect)
3. Do you guys even do ota updates or just keep upgrading your favorite ROM?

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Thx, based on my present configuration, what happens when an OTA is released,
1. will it even prompt to update?
2. If TW won't work with 4.3, seems I would lose root to upgrade to 4.3 or higher (sounds like too buggy anyway, but just wondering what to expect)
3. Do you guys even do ota updates or just keep upgrading your favorite ROM?

I believe u r confused. NC5 is 4.4..and is TW based...

windstrings

Nov 22, 2009
I believe u r confused. NC5 is 4.4..and is TW based...

So right you are! I thought I was running 4.2.2 but it's 4.4.2....Thx!

I Hate being a noob! ?

So what will I see when an OTA is pushed and what is normally done?

I figure I better know now so I can safeguard in advance if needed.

bryantjopplin

Sep 15, 2010

I Hate being a noob! ?

Don't take the update, root it, install busy box, safestrap install, rom that *****.

windstrings

Nov 22, 2009
If I remember right, they prompt you over and over and finally installs anyway... I would have to block it somehow or do as you say....

Need to study much more first.. Seems I'm limited a lot with my s4.

bryantjopplin

Sep 15, 2010
If I remember right, they prompt you over and over and finally installs anyway... I would have to block it somehow or do as you say....

Need to study much more first.. Seems I'm limited a lot with my s4.

Freeze the update apps on the stock touchwiz rom and it won't ask you anymore.

windstrings

Nov 22, 2009
So do I gather I basically can't do anything that alters this stock ROM?

It's a bit confusing knowing just when the ROM is affected versus not.

Which parts of performance won't work?
I now know adjusting CPU or kernel is out.
1. What about Internet boosters?
2. SD boosters?

Still unclear where I'm limited concerning root tweaks.
3y5etasy.jpg

bryantjopplin

Sep 15, 2010
So do I gather I basically can't do anything that alters this stock ROM?

It's a bit confusing knowing just when the ROM is affected versus not.

Which parts of performance won't work?
I now know adjusting CPU or kernel is out.
1. What about Internet boosters?
2. SD boosters?

Still unclear where I'm limited concerning root tweaks.
3y5etasy.jpg

You can adjust the cpu I believe just not over clock it. Not to sure as I have never had a stock phone lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Now to my question.....

Unless you have the first bootloader, which you don't, there is no way to change your Kernel. If you try you will get an unauthorized message on startup.

Now to my question.....

1)Wrong section. Question should go in Help and Troubleshooting.
    2)Has been addressed many times in the original post. Read there
    3) As was said before me, you can't touch the kernel cause your boot loader is still locked.

Sent from a Shaftamle Galaxy S4
    "Thanks Button" is always appreciated!
    CheckOutMyThemedGoogleKeyboards!!!!!!

MyColorScreen

I Hate being a noob! ?

Don't take the update, root it, install busy box, safestrap install, rom that *****.