[Q] No Download Mode?

Search This thread

D-meist

Dec 8, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I need to return my vs980 to Verizon. I was going through the return to stock thread and it said I needed to boot into download mode. I think my recent ROM flash removed the download mode or something. Despite pressing/holding the proper hardware keys, download mode doesn't launch. I'm running cm11 (24A version). I saw something in the XDABBEB thread linking to a "restore download mode" file. Is this what I need? I guess the real question is how to get from cm11 24A to stock without download mode.

z3pp3lin

I need to return my vs980 to Verizon. I was going through the return to stock thread and it said I needed to boot into download mode. I think my recent ROM flash removed the download mode or something. Despite pressing/holding the proper hardware keys, download mode doesn't launch. I'm running cm11 (24A version). I saw something in the XDABBEB thread linking to a "restore download mode" file. Is this what I need? I guess the real question is how to get from cm11 24A to stock without download mode.

Maybe this will help. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2477595

Sent from my XDABBEB VS98024A v1.2.1 using XDA free mobile app

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida

is it just not booting into download and booting android if so are you sure you are trying to boot into download mode correctly all you have to do is power off your device then hold volume up while plugging it into your pc

Reactions: D-meist

D-meist

Dec 8, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
yes, while phone is powered off you hold only volume up and then plug the end that goes to phone and wait, the other end has to be plugged to pc before trying to power on into download mode

OK, I'll try that when I get home. Although I'm pretty sure I was able to get into download mode without being plugged into a pc prior to updating the bootstack to 24A. I'll try it and let you know.

D-meist

Dec 8, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I plugged in the USB cable and was able to get this to come up. Is this the interface I need to start the TOT restore?

37138916180772352163_zpse853d24c.jpg~320x480

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
I plugged in the USB cable and was able to get this to come up. Is this the interface I need to start the TOT restore?

no but that proves that your download mode is broken, if you still have custom recovery then you need to flash the restore download mode from xdabbeb then you should be able to boot into download mode, if you don't have custom recovery then use autorec for vs980 and after flashing recovery power off and try booting into download mode and you should boot into download mode

D-meist

Dec 8, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
no but that proves that your download mode is broken, if you still have custom recovery then you need to flash the restore download mode from xdabbeb then you should be able to boot into download mode, if you don't have custom recovery then use autorec for vs980 and after flashing recovery power off and try booting into download mode and you should boot into download mode

OK. TWRP is working fine, I was just a little wary about flashing that restore download mode zip. I've gotten impatient in the past and flashed things without fully looking into it and... It didn't go well. I'll try flashing it tonight.

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
OK. TWRP is working fine, I was just a little wary about flashing that restore download mode zip. I've gotten impatient in the past and flashed things without fully looking into it and... It didn't go well. I'll try flashing it tonight.

yes I know what you mean I already hard bricked a device in past because of impatience and since then I have learn to be more patient which is good especially now that I started working on mods, anyways flashing should restore download mode and for reference I have attached the two screens you will see when entering download mode first you will see the screen with what look like two computer and dots in center and then the firmware update screen

Attachments

• image2.png
    image2.png
    252.9 KB · Views: 23
  • HR3cXz4.jpg
    HR3cXz4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 29

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

is it just not booting into download and booting android if so are you sure you are trying to boot into download mode correctly all you have to do is power off your device then hold volume up while plugging it into your pc

yes I know what you mean I already hard bricked a device in past because of impatience and since then I have learn to be more patient which is good especially now that I started working on mods, anyways flashing should restore download mode and for reference I have attached the two screens you will see when entering download mode first you will see the screen with what look like two computer and dots in center and then the firmware update screen
    I'm back in business. Download mode achievement get! Once I'm done restoring do I have to worry about any sort of flash counter/root checker?

nope restore to stock resets everything so it is like opening phone and powering it on for first time and there is no traces of root so you can use warranty if needed