firmware 6.3.3 -=Post your rooting progress here=-

Search This thread

Kafluke

Mar 20, 2009
All attempts that I have made to root this Kindle Fire on 6.3.3 have failed. KFU fails. Towelroot fails. Nothin.

Kafluke

Mar 20, 2009
Ok so I was at least able to use a factory cable to put the kindle into fastboot mode. After that I was able to flash FFF and TWRP and then flash a stock 6.3.2 Rom which is rootable.

Also you can install custom rom from this point. Not exactly succeeding and rooting stock 6.3.3 but its a start.

Last edited:
Reactions: overground

jblindy

Jun 20, 2014
Ok so I was at least able to use a factory cable to put the kindle into fastboot mode. After that I was able to flash FFF and TWRP and then flash a stock 6.3.2 Rom which is rootable.

Also you can install custom rom from this point. Not exactly succeeding and rooting stock 4.3.3 but its a start.

Please post steps in flashing firmware 6.3.2. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back though, because I reset to factory settings before I realized that the firmware had updated.

overground

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Recognized Dev

Also you can install custom rom from this point. Not exactly succeeding and rooting stock 4.3.3 but its a start.

So how are you preventing it from taking another OTA of 6.3.3?

Kafluke

Mar 20, 2009
Please post steps in flashing firmware 6.3.2. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back though, because I reset to factory settings before I realized that the firmware had updated.

Here's what I did:

1. Download stock firmware 6.3.2 (latest KFU will get it for you)
2. Copy stock firmware to internal storage on Kindle Fire (boot up Kindle Fire and plug into your computer)
3. Download TWRP 2.2.2.1 from here. (thanks sd_shadow).
4. Download latest FFF using KFU
5. Put TWRP and FFF into a folder on your computer that contains fastboot.exe
6. Make a factory cable (google "make Motorola factory usb cable") or you can buy a premade one or an adapter. Here's an example.
7. Turn off your Kindle fire and unplug it from your computer.
8. Plug one end or your factory cable into your computer.
9. Open a windows command prompt from the folder with fastboot.exe in it.
10. While the Kindle Fire is turned off, plug in the other end of your factory cable into the Kindle fire. This should throw the KF into fastboot mode.
If you have created the factory cable correctly you should see the red Kindle screen but it should stay there and you should get a new driver install notification in Windows. Install the driver for the Kindle Fire bootloader.
11. From your Windows command prompt run these commands (substituting the names for whatever your TWRP and FFF files are called)
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader fff.bin
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Now you should see the FireFireFire blue screen and you can push the power button to boot into TWRP. From TWRP you can wipe everything and install the 6.3.2 file you placed on the Kindle Fire earlier (if you want to flash a KitKat ROM like CM11 or others then you must re flash recovery with latest TWRP from here). After you are using 6.3.2 you can run latest KFU and it will work just fine.

I don't know how to prevent it. Maybe its best to just flash CM11 on it.

Last edited:

Kafluke

Mar 20, 2009
Unless newest Twrp is different, only Twrp 2.2.2.1 or lower can install stock kindle firmware. Other TWRP versions will bootloop the Kindle Fire, and Twrp will need to be flashed in bootloader

Well, whatever KFU .99 downloaded, that's what I flashed. And it worked. I don't have the Kindle anymore to check TWRP version .

I don't want anyone bricking their fire because of my steps though. I'll edit the post. Thanks sd_shadow!

Last edited:
Reactions: sd_shadow

rkchang

Jun 21, 2014
need help with a stock 6.3.3

Ever since my wife asked me to try to root her stock 1st generation Kindle Fire (currently running 6.3.3), I have had a hell of a time trying to get this thing rooted. I will also admit that I am a relative newbie when it comes to rooting devices. I am perfectly comfortable doing a few tweaks here and there, even through using command-line tools, but this is my first attempt at trying to root a device. I have both my MacBook Pro OSX (Mavericks) laptop and my Windows 7 desktop at my disposal, but I have only been able to make limited progress in rooting the KF.

I have used a number of tools (which I realize are mostly variants of one another): Kindle Fire Utility 0.9.9, RootKindleFire631 (from RootKindleFire.com), Breakdroid, and KindleFireRootMacLinux (which basically uses the ZergRush method). All to no avail. The most common error that I get is "Couldn't write bp1, panic". Hope this helps some developers out there to finally find a feasible rooting method for this one.

Curse you, Amazon, you may have won this round, but the war is far from over!

Reactions: CharlieR1

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I created a prerooted 6.3.3 update that can be installed in twrp.
I have Installed with 2.2.2.1 and 2.7.1.0 versions of Twrp
Didn't change much,
I replaced stock install script with tobiascuypers' install script from [Rom] Stock 6.3.2 [Mods] [04.22.13] [Primary/Alt]
Added Root files (busybox, su, SuperSU)
Added Google Apps (Framwork, Play Store, Calendar, Google Voice, Google +)
Added other apps (Root Browser, Go Launcher, Facebook)
Instructions
Download update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip, place on sd card, wipe data (may be optional), install with TWRP
wipe cache, reboot, may take a few mins to boot first time.

Tested Google play (signed in, downloaded apps)
Didn't test amazon sign in.

Edit; see my [2014][Pre-Rooted][Stock]System Version 6.3.3-Original Kindle Fire Only thread

Last edited:

Xeddicus

Nov 20, 2011
Didn't change much,
I replaced stock install script with tobiascuypers' install script from [Rom] Stock 6.3.2 [Mods] [04.22.13] [Primary/Alt]
Instructions
Download update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip, place on sd card, wipe data (may be optional), install with TWRP

Does this require a factory cable?

overground

@sd_shadow - Installed fine with only dalvik / cache wipe over existing 6.3.3 (I removed most of the 3rd party apps prior to install).
Probably deserves it's own thread in development.
First thing I did was freeze OTASilentInstall.apk in /system/app/. I may consider removing it completely in the future.

Thanks for this. :good:

Reactions: sd_shadow

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
@sd_shadow - Installed fine with only dalvik / cache wipe over existing 6.3.3 (I removed most of the 3rd party apps prior to install).
If I make a new version I will remove updater, and maybe all the extra apps other than play store, and ones need for root (supersu, binary, and busybox),
Probably deserves it's own thread in development.
Yes thought I would start a thread in Dev, but wasn't sure about the new General Public License rules (posting sources like the kernel), most of the devices I follow have it stickied in the dev section, but I see it is not in Kindle dev section?
First thing I did was freeze OTASilentInstall.apk in /system/app/. I may consider removing it completely in the future.

Thanks for this. :good:
I hadn't really looked for the updater apk, so that will help.
Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

overground

Yes thought I would start a thread in Dev, but wasn't sure about the new General Public License rules (posting sources like the kernel), most of the devices I follow have it stickied in the dev section, but I see it is not in Kindle dev section?

You're not modifying the kernel, therefore there is no source (or changes) to post. GPL does not apply in this case.
Just specify in your thread that the ROM contains the stock, unmodified Amazon kernel.
If anyone beefs you on it, you can point them to this post.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's what I did:

1. Download stock firmware 6.3.2 (latest KFU will get it for you)
    2. Copy stock firmware to internal storage on Kindle Fire (boot up Kindle Fire and plug into your computer)
    3. Download TWRP 2.2.2.1 from here. (thanks sd_shadow).
    4. Download latest FFF using KFU
    5. Put TWRP and FFF into a folder on your computer that contains fastboot.exe
    6. Make a factory cable (google "make Motorola factory usb cable") or you can buy a premade one or an adapter. Here's an example.
    7. Turn off your Kindle fire and unplug it from your computer.
    8. Plug one end or your factory cable into your computer.
    9. Open a windows command prompt from the folder with fastboot.exe in it.
    10. While the Kindle Fire is turned off, plug in the other end of your factory cable into the Kindle fire. This should throw the KF into fastboot mode.
    If you have created the factory cable correctly you should see the red Kindle screen but it should stay there and you should get a new driver install notification in Windows. Install the driver for the Kindle Fire bootloader.
    11. From your Windows command prompt run these commands (substituting the names for whatever your TWRP and FFF files are called)
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader fff.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Now you should see the FireFireFire blue screen and you can push the power button to boot into TWRP. From TWRP you can wipe everything and install the 6.3.2 file you placed on the Kindle Fire earlier (if you want to flash a KitKat ROM like CM11 or others then you must re flash recovery with latest TWRP from here). After you are using 6.3.2 you can run latest KFU and it will work just fine.

I don't know how to prevent it. Maybe its best to just flash CM11 on it.
    Didn't change much,
    Instructions

Edit; see my [2014][Pre-Rooted][Stock]System Version 6.3.3-Original Kindle Fire Only thread

Also you can install custom rom from this point. Not exactly succeeding and rooting stock 6.3.3 but its a start.
    Unless newest Twrp is different, only Twrp 2.2.2.1 or lower can install stock kindle firmware. Other TWRP versions will bootloop the Kindle Fire, and Twrp will need to be flashed in bootloader
    Correct or cannibal open touch recovery but it won`t flash Kit Kat.

Well, whatever KFU .99 downloaded, that's what I flashed. And it worked. I don't have the Kindle anymore to check TWRP version .

I don't want anyone bricking their fire because of my steps though. I'll edit the post. Thanks sd_shadow!