[Q] Z Ultra GPE back to stock 4.4.2

Search This thread

texaspledge

Jul 5, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Blueether doesn't have GPe but that sounds like what @texaspledge did to get it to flash.
Steps I took were download 4.4.2 ota zip, right click on it and select 7zip then open archive, navigate to updater and drag it out to desktop then delete one in archive, right click on updater on desktop and select edit with notepad++ , do the edits,then click the file button, save as updater, drag back into archive. I just ran out of time before I could try changing 6806 to togari.
yeah sorry to piecemeal this out guys. I did it late one night, half asleep and frustrated. I honestly thought it would brick but didn't care anymore at that point...

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
yeah sorry to piecemeal this out guys. I did it late one night, half asleep and frustrated. I honestly thought it would brick but didn't care anymore at that point...

It's all good we'll get it figured out eventually. I could update and downgrade in my sleep now. Gave me an excuse to goof off all day instead of doing chores.

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010

Changing C6806 to togari is necessary?

getprop("ro.product.device") == "C6806" || abort("This package is for \"C6806\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\".");

How would I edit the above command? I would really appreciate a bit more detail so I can get this device fixed and ready for my wife's birthday.
Thanks!

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Changing C6806 to togari is necessary?

getprop("ro.product.device") == "C6806" || abort("This package is for \"C6806\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\".");

How would I edit the above command? I would really appreciate a bit more detail so I can get this device fixed and ready for my wife's birthday.
Thanks!

gee you boys have been busy while I've been at work ;)

You could just remove that line as well.

I'm still a little worried about the patch and flashing the other partitions. but if texaspledge has done it I'll upload a zip for you, to use at your own risk.

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
gee you boys have been busy while I've been at work ;)

You could just remove that line as well.

I'm still a little worried about the patch and flashing the other partitions. but if texaspledge has done it I'll upload a zip for you, to use at your own risk.

How should I flash the zip to bypass signature check?

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand

I will wait for your upload. I really appreciate your help.
Btw, do I just flash from SD or do sideload?

from sd should be fine if you don't like adb

only getting ~700kbps upload today, but still better than the ~90 - 100 kbps I had yesterday. I ended up killing the uploads yesterday as they said about 6-7 hours to upload at times :(

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

try this http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=7097&task=get

EDIT: this just has the checks removed and repacked. Still has the patch (that I think will fail - hopefully without error) and the 'other' partitions. It will flash the stock kernel overwriting the custom recovery

Last edited:

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
from sd should be fine if you don't like adb

only getting ~700kbps upload today, but still better than the ~90 - 100 kbps I had yesterday. I ended up killing the uploads yesterday as they said about 6-7 hours to upload at times :(

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

try this http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=7097&task=get

EDIT: this just has the checks removed and repacked. Still has the patch (that I think will fail - hopefully without error) and the 'other' partitions. It will flash the stock kernel overwriting the custom recovery

@blueether, Thanks for the upload. Just a couple of questions.

1. I have unzipped and viewed the updater script file and it looks like this is an UNEDITED version. Still has the version and device checks in them.

(!less_than_int(1386681473, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))) || abort("Can't install this package (Tue Dec 10 14:17:53 CET 2013) over newer build (" + getprop("ro.build.date") + ").");

2. What did you mean by "Still has the patch (that I think will fail" ? Do you mean patch to fix broken camera?

Thanks. I will wait for your response.

Last edited:

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010

It is so frustrating trying to piece together a working solution for going back to stock 4.4.2 on my Z Ultra Google Play Edition (not a converted Xperia Z Ultra). @texaspledge, I would really appreciate it it you could comment a little more and help me out as it appears you are the only person who had successfully downgraded to 4.4.2 from 4.4.3 on ZU GPE without using a nandroid backup.

Please check if the following steps are correct.

1. Get a hold of 4.4.2 OTA file
2. Using 7-zip and notepad++, delete the first two lines of the code (version check and device check) from installer script
3. Copy the edited file onto an external sd card
4. Boot into CWM recovery and flash from SD with signature check disabled
5. My device gets magically transformed into 4.4.2 with stock firmware and stock recovery with a fully functioning camera

@blueether, thanks for the upload but It looks like your updater script is not an edited one.
@adfurgerson, do you think this will work?
@DooMLoRD, could you please help out this noob please?

Last edited:

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
It is so frustrating trying to piece together a working solution for going back to stock 4.4.2 on my Z Ultra Google Play Edition (not a converted Xperia Z Ultra). @texaspledge, I would really appreciate it it you could comment a little more and help me out as it appears you are the only person who had successfully downgraded to 4.4.2 from 4.4.3 on ZU GPE without using a nandroid backup.

Please check if the following steps are correct.

2. Using 7-zip and notepad++, delete the first two lines of the code (version check and device check) from installer script
5. My device gets magically transformed into 4.4.2 with stock firmware and stock recovery with a fully functioning camera

@blueether, thanks for the upload but It looks like your updater script is not an edited one.
@adfurgerson, do you think this will work?
@DooMLoRD, could you please help out this noob please?
I would delete first line and edit the "c6806" to "togari" both places in second line. When I deleted first line I got error for device, when I deleted both lines I got status 4 error. I only tried side loading from adb through cwm, flashing it from SD may work.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
@blueether, Thanks for the upload. Just a couple of questions.

1. I have unzipped and viewed the updater script file and it looks like this is an UNEDITED version. Still has the version and device checks in them.

(!less_than_int(1386681473, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))) || abort("Can't install this package (Tue Dec 10 14:17:53 CET 2013) over newer build (" + getprop("ro.build.date") + ").");

2. What did you mean by "Still has the patch (that I think will fail" ? Do you mean patch to fix broken camera?

Thanks. I will wait for your response.

Would you believe I forgot to save :eek:

No the patch for the bootloader from 4.3(?) to 4.4.2

If you try and edit the updater script again make syre that it is save in unix format

prohan

Jun 22, 2014
I'm looking to go back to 4.4.2 also - I think the easiest thing would be if we could get someone's 4.4.2 system dump

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
There is a 4.4.2 system dump in one of the threads. I just don't know what to do with it.
I wish somebody would upload a signed 4.4.2 OTA zip for ZU GPE with version check and device check edited.
I am surea lot of people would benefit from the file in case you have to send the device in for warranty repairs, for example.

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
Would you believe I forgot to save :eek:

No the patch for the bootloader from 4.3(?) to 4.4.2

If you try and edit the updater script again make syre that it is save in unix format

@blueether, will this work?

prohan

Jun 22, 2014
So I believe all you should have to do is:

1. Unzip the 4.4.2 dump
2. Boot your phone into the bootloader
3. Flash with fastboot:
fastboot flash system system.img​

That should work - I'm waiting to download the dump now from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2570197 but it's taking a while.

Hopefully someone else can verify that won't totally mess your system.

prohan

Jun 22, 2014

Ok it didn't work and I restored from nandroid. Probably because I didn't flash a 4.4.2 kernel too. What did work was editing the 4.4.2 OTA.zip version check and then flashing the zip.

So:

1. Download 4.4.2 OTA zip from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2574264
2. Open the ZIP with 7zip (don't extract)
3. Edit META-INF\com\google\android
4. Remove the first two lines (they have 'C6806') in them and save.
5. Then flash the 4.4.2 OTA zip - I did it over ADB but SDCARD should work too.

Now the camera works again!

Reactions: ddslee

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
Ok it didn't work and I restored from nandroid. Probably because I didn't flash a 4.4.2 kernel too. What did work was editing the 4.4.2 OTA.zip version check and then flashing the zip.

So:

1. Download 4.4.2 OTA zip from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2574264
2. Open the ZIP with 7zip (don't extract)
3. Edit META-INF\com\google\android
4. Remove the first two lines (they have 'C6806') in them and save.
5. Then flash the 4.4.2 OTA zip - I did it over ADB but SDCARD should work too.

Now the camera works again!

Man, you are my hero! :good::good::good:
I have done up to step 4.
About step 5, can you tell me exactly what you did?
What are the adb commands? How do you bypass the signature check?
Is your device GPE or Xperia ?
Thank you!!!

Last edited:

coastalmikey

Jan 24, 2011
Hilton Head Island, SC
Man, you are my hero! :good::good::good:
I have done up to step 4.
About step 5, can you tell me exactly what you did?
What are the adb commands? How do you bypass the signature check?
Is your device GPE or Xperia ?
Thank you!!!

Step 4 I deleted the version check (!less_than_int(1386681473, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))) || abort("Can't install this package (Tue Dec 10 14:17:53 CET 2013) over newer build (" + getprop("ro.build.date") + ").");

and changed C6806 to togari

Then I simply flashed the modified OTA zip with CWM followed by Superuser. Reboot to bootloader and flash Advance Stock Kernel to regain custom recovery.

Now I am back to 4.4.2 with a working camera and the erratic external SD writes.

Top Liked Posts