[Q] Root Folder Lost Zip file

Search This thread

theErock

Oct 12, 2013
Covina
OK hopefully this isn't really bad but I was given an apktool in the form of a zip file w/ instructions to extract the zip in the Root of my SD card. So I transfered the zip file to Root folder and extracted it. Suddenly my phone slowed down and started to freeze. I did a hard reboot and went back to Root folder to see that both the zip file and the extracted content disappeared into thin air. I can't locate either file. What I'm really worried is will this affect my ROM or system? What exactly happened?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Sent from XT912
[AOSP/4.3] [ROM] Eclipse v5.1 build 6 spyder

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
OK hopefully this isn't really bad but I was given an apktool in the form of a zip file w/ instructions to extract the zip in the Root of my SD card. So I transfered the zip file to Root folder and extracted it. Suddenly my phone slowed down and started to freeze. I did a hard reboot and went back to Root folder to see that both the zip file and the extracted content disappeared into thin air. I can't locate either file. What I'm really worried is will this affect my ROM or system? What exactly happened?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Sent from XT912

if you have an anti virus/malware program installed, it may have gobbled it up. frequently exploits are flagged as malicious even though they really aren't.

theErock

Oct 12, 2013
Covina
if you have an anti virus/malware program installed, it may have gobbled it up. frequently exploits are flagged as malicious even though they really aren't.

Hmmm....I don't have any running they're all frozen right now.

Honestly I don't care if it got deleted, but more concerned about 50MB of material invisibly floating around in my system somewhere.

BTW is it typical to use root folder to install or extract anything in.

Sent from XT912

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Hmmm....I don't have any running they're all frozen right now.

Honestly I don't care if it got deleted, but more concerned about 50MB of material invisibly floating around in my system somewhere.

BTW is it typical to use root folder to install or extract anything in.

Sent from XT912

its typical to put things you want to flash on the root of your sd or storage, its usually required.
personally i would have extracted it on a pc first just to see what was inside. i have never used anything that needed to be extracted while on the phone, not saying you are wrong or did anything wrong, i just have never seen it.

theErock

Oct 12, 2013
Covina
its typical to put things you want to flash on the root of your sd or storage, its usually required.
personally i would have extracted it on a pc first just to see what was inside. i have never used anything that needed to be extracted while on the phone, not saying you are wrong or did anything wrong, i just have never seen it.

Yeah it seemed unusual that I had to do that but that's what the person said to do. It was an apktool designed so that a computer was not needed (supposedly)

So now that it vanished does that mean the file is deleted and no longer exists in the phone? Did I go about flashing it the wrong way besides not extracting it on a computer?

Sent from XT912

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Yeah it seemed unusual that I had to do that but that's what the person said to do. It was an apktool designed so that a computer was not needed (supposedly)

So now that it vanished does that mean the file is deleted and no longer exists in the phone? Did I go about flashing it the wrong way besides not extracting it on a computer?

Sent from XT912

i really have no direct knowledge of the situation to say either way. i only hope whatever you tried to install was popular or confirmed, and its not some sort of malware that just moved itself somewhere it shouldn't be to do its thing.

theErock

Oct 12, 2013
Covina
i really have no direct knowledge of the situation to say either way. i only hope whatever you tried to install was popular or confirmed, and its not some sort of malware that just moved itself somewhere it shouldn't be to do its thing.

:( I really hope its not malware either cause I got it from a fellow xda member through a pm.

Sent from XT912