Coworker's phone not turning on. Bricked?

Search This thread

CZroe

Nov 13, 2011
Newnan, GA
My coworker has an HTC Vivid which will not turn on. I can't even get a blink or a vibration from it, so I can't even get into recovery or factory reset. I suspected that it was simply unable to charge the battery but it is detected when I plug it in to USB (first as QHSUSB_DLOAD while it searches for a driver then ZEUS Flash Device once Windows Update finds and installs one). The fit is tight/snug and the PC detects it, so I assume the USB port is fine and it should be able to charge.

Now, the owner is an old man who doesn't even know what "root" is, so I highly doubt he did anything which could brick it. He knows I often repair phones for other coworkers so he asked me to take a look at it.

Before I tear into a phone I always look online to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I haven't seen anything about this yet and I haven't encountered it myself either. The phone is in a rubber Otterbox skin and looks to be in great shape. It does not appear to have ever been dropped. Has anyone heard of these just spontaneously failing to power on? Has a fix been found?

I haven't looked inside yet but the phone looks great externally and under the battery door. The battery might be ever so slightly bulging but it's hard to tell just by looking at it. It's the only thing I've detected that might be out of order, so I'd like to try another. Too bad I can't find a spare locally.

Should I be able to get any kind of feedback on USB power without the battery inserted at all? Can someone try booting or entering recovery with the battery removed?

Thanks!

cmerlyn

Aug 17, 2011
Rohnert Park
My coworker has an HTC Vivid which will not turn on. I can't even get a blink or a vibration from it, so I can't even get into recovery or factory reset. I suspected that it was simply unable to charge the battery but it is detected when I plug it in to USB (first as QHSUSB_DLOAD while it searches for a driver then ZEUS Flash Device once Windows Update finds and installs one). The fit is tight/snug and the PC detects it, so I assume the USB port is fine and it should be able to charge.

Now, the owner is an old man who doesn't even know what "root" is, so I highly doubt he did anything which could brick it. He knows I often repair phones for other coworkers so he asked me to take a look at it.

Before I tear into a phone I always look online to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I haven't seen anything about this yet and I haven't encountered it myself either. The phone is in a rubber Otterbox skin and looks to be in great shape. It does not appear to have ever been dropped. Has anyone heard of these just spontaneously failing to power on? Has a fix been found?

I haven't looked inside yet but the phone looks great externally and under the battery door. The battery might be ever so slightly bulging but it's hard to tell just by looking at it. It's the only thing I've detected that might be out of order, so I'd like to try another. Too bad I can't find a spare locally.

Should I be able to get any kind of feedback on USB power without the battery inserted at all? Can someone try booting or entering recovery with the battery removed?

Thanks!
Take the battery out and charge it externally. It sounds like the port is not charging, for whatever reason. My phone did that back before I rooted it. Hasn't happened since.

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos

Thanks!

QHSUSB_DLOAD is scary...

Your only hope is the unbricking project...

You can try an RUU... If you can get the RUU to find the device...

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk