FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[MOD][5.0.2/4.4.x] SMS and WiFi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G (2012)

2,144 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,270

By GuyAdams, Senior Member on 20th November 2013, 07:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th June 2014, 06:32 PM |#181  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Yes. I do this in the recovery. My sd was untouched

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 4

21st June 2014, 04:14 PM |#182  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
@GuyAdams
Please, update to 4.4.4.
21st June 2014, 05:08 PM |#183  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 287

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenquoctrong

@GuyAdams
Please, update to 4.4.4.

I'm sure @GuyAdams will do the needful.

There's no need to emphasize on the same everytime there is an update by Google. This goes for you and for everyone (including me!) out there.

You know he's gonna do it as soon as he can find the time... So...

"Please, have some patience!"

--
Sent from my Samsung S3 (GT-i9300) on OmniROM 4.4.3 (official nightly) powered by Boeffla kernel via Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to keneth_c For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift keneth_c Ad-Free
24th June 2014, 11:17 AM |#184  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Seems in fact that the KTU84L patch works just as well on KTU84P.

Just updated with fastboot, to flash boot.img and system.img. Then reflash the GuyAdams patch, wipe Dalvik & Cache, then reboot.

All working fine with 8SMS for sms, and running a wifi tether.

Major
The Following User Says Thank You to major_figjam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift major_figjam Ad-Free
25th June 2014, 12:34 PM |#185  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nottinghamshire

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_figjam

Seems in fact that the KTU84L patch works just as well on KTU84P.

Just updated with fastboot, to flash boot.img and system.img. Then reflash the GuyAdams patch, wipe Dalvik & Cache, then reboot.

All working fine with 8SMS for sms, and running a wifi tether.

Major

I've checked over the new update and sure enough the 4.4.3 version of this mod is SAFE to use on 4.4.4.

The only difference is a manifest which won't effect you, I will however release an updated version built on the new files shortly for those of you would prefer a 100% correct version.

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuyAdams For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GuyAdams Ad-Free
25th June 2014, 01:24 PM |#186  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nottinghamshire

Donate to Me
More
OP updated with new version.

Please hit thanks if this helped you
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GuyAdams For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GuyAdams Ad-Free
25th June 2014, 09:33 PM |#187  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Would this patch work on the latest CM11 ROM as well?
26th June 2014, 04:42 PM |#188  

More
Doesn't seem to work on KTU84P
I reflashed to completely stock, did a factory reset, rooted, installed a custom recovery, and then applied the SMS/WiFi Tethering ZIP for KTU84P. The flash of the zip completed successfully and I rebooted to the system.

I do not have a menu for Tethering & Mobile hotspot in settings.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work on KTU84P?

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Here is some additional information on my issue.

First, I'm using an AT&T SIM in the US.

If I enable airplane mode and reboot, the Tethering & mobile hotspot menu appears. I can go into the settings and setup the SSID and security the way I want it. As soon as I turn off airplane more and it connects to AT&T, the menu option disappears. Of course then there is no way to enable the hotspot. So I downloaded a hotspot toggle widget from the Play store. I had to enable airplane mode and reboot again just to add the widget to my home screen.

Then I could turn off airplane mode to enable the 3G radio. When I tap the hotspot toggle widget, it does turn on the hotspot. I can see the hotspot from my PC and connect to it. The only issue is there does not appear to be a functioning DHCP server on the Nexus 7 as the PC doesn't get an IP address so it automatically assigns one. Of course that IP address is probably not in the correct IP range, subnet mask, or default gateway, so I cannot connect to the Internet from my PC.
26th June 2014, 05:02 PM |#189  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nottinghamshire

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS

I reflashed to completely stock, did a factory reset, rooted, installed a custom recovery, and then applied the SMS/WiFi Tethering ZIP for KTU84P. The flash of the zip completed successfully and I rebooted to the system.

I do not have a menu for Tethering & Mobile hotspot in settings.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work on KTU84P?

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Here is some additional information on my issue.

First, I'm using an AT&T SIM in the US.

If I enable airplane mode and reboot, the Tethering & mobile hotspot menu appears. I can go into the settings and setup the SSID and security the way I want it. As soon as I turn off airplane more and it connects to AT&T, the menu option disappears. Of course then there is no way to enable the hotspot. So I downloaded a hotspot toggle widget from the Play store. I had to enable airplane mode and reboot again just to add the widget to my home screen.

Then I could turn off airplane mode to enable the 3G radio. When I tap the hotspot toggle widget, it does turn on the hotspot. I can see the hotspot from my PC and connect to it. The only issue is there does not appear to be a functioning DHCP server on the Nexus 7 as the PC doesn't get an IP address so it automatically assigns one. Of course that IP address is probably not in the correct IP range, subnet mask, or default gateway, so I cannot connect to the Internet from my PC.

AT&T requires some different variables but I'll need a reference to check it, does the N5 work on AT&T?
26th June 2014, 05:07 PM |#190  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyAdams

AT&T requires some different variables but I'll need a reference to check it, does the N5 work on AT&T?

Did you mean N7? Yes, the N7 works on AT&T once I added the correct APN (wap.cingular).
26th June 2014, 05:23 PM |#191  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nottinghamshire

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS

Did you mean N7? Yes, the N7 works on AT&T once I added the correct APN (wap.cingular).

Leave it with me, I'll probably have to build a AT&T specific version.
The Following User Says Thank You to GuyAdams For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GuyAdams Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)