Root Sprint S5....Step-by-Step

Search This thread

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
Just upgraded from the s4 and definitely want to get my s5 rooted... The representative at the store automatically did the updates, so I'm curious will the 2nd option (no pc needed) still work?

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda premium

Yes, you should be able to root using towelroot without using your PC even with the latest update.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

CTH-EVO

This should be titled "Windows Only" Option...

Root Sprint S5 step-by-step....the following is for the Sprint SM-G900P (S5) Updated 6/20/2014

I wrote this out for a co-worker to easily root his device. Figured I would post in case it makes it easier for anyone else. *This has been confirmed to work on the Virgin Mobile branded S5. However, do this at your own risk*

-----> If you would rather watch a video of how to root the S5 check out qbking77's here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52587088&postcount=1

Please thank the owners of the threads in the links for the work put in to post the necessary files to obtain root/hotspot

**As always, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. Just follow the easy steps and all will be good.**

*Before you proceed, if you have not taken the official ND2 or NE5 update from Sammy yet and want to then do that now. It is easier to do the update before obtaining root.

1st, go here and download the Samsung S5 driver and install on your Windows PC: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-G900PZKASPR
After you install the drivers, plug in your phone to the PC and make sure it detects your device and loads the drivers properly. Should be able to access your storage. If not, don't proceed because chances are Odin will not recognize the device either. If this happens, try a different usb port, re-booting PC, cable, etc.

Second, there are 2 options for root. Pick whichever you are more comfortable with:

Option 1: Go here and download Chainfire's S5 Autoroot (Odin included in package): http://download.chainfire.eu/408/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-kltespr-kltespr-smg900p.zip
Then go here and just follow the steps: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51421067&postcount=2

Option 2: This can be done without the use of a PC. Go here and download the towelroot apk: http://towelroot.com/ (For latest version click the symbol)
After download, install and run. Then, go to Play Store and download/install SuperSU. Run to update binary. Done.

Third, go here and download the official twrp-kite.tar file (custom recovery): http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/klte
Take this .tar file and put in your Odin folder. If you don't have Odin yet then download from here: xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421
Then just follow the Odin directions on this page: [url]http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51450356&postcount=1[/URL]

Don't skip----> Now that you have root and a custom recovery, first thing you should do is make a backup in TWRP just in case something goes wrong in the future. (hold press Vol Up + Home + Power when powered off to boot into recovery) **I strongly recommend that you put a checkmark on EFS and back it up as well. Keep the backup in a safe place afterwards** Or, you can go HERE, download the tool, and backup EFS with the app. Make sure you have Busybox installed first and put the produced backup in a safe place such as PC hard drive, cloud storage, etc.

Optional:
Now that you are rooted what is a flashaholic to do?
For a comprehensive list of mods, roms, and add-ons click here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52456762&postcount=1

Done. Flash away.

This was a thoughtful post. Thank you.
But step One (required) only provides a USB driver for Windoes boxes. There are no [apparent] alternatives for other
Operating Systems (Linux, FreeBSD, UNIX-like, ...).
So it appears that only Windows users will have the option to root Samsung Galaxy S5's.
I guess I'll be taking mine back, and exchanging it for one that _IS_ rootable. :(

--Chris

flashing4fun

Aug 28, 2012
st louis
This was a thoughtful post. Thank you.
But step One (required) only provides a USB driver for Windoes boxes. There are no [apparent] alternatives for other
Operating Systems (Linux, FreeBSD, UNIX-like, ...).
So it appears that only Windows users will have the option to root Samsung Galaxy S5's.
I guess I'll be taking mine back, and exchanging it for one that _IS_ rootable. :(

--Chris

Did you check on Samsung website for drivers for your operating system.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CTH-EVO

Did you check on Samsung website for drivers for your operating system.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Greetings, and thanks for the reply.

Yes. I did, and there only exists the Windows .exe file available for download.
There are also only Windows programs available for rooting the Samsung Galaxy S5.
I can find no other options listed within the Sprint Galaxy S5 forums, here.

Too bad. I found rooting my EVO was widely supported, on all OS's,
even tho it had only been available for one month.

Thanks again.

--Chris

Ls1ssz28

Oct 30, 2011
Charleston
you can root the phone without a PC, and if im not mistaken you can install twrp via goomanager in the play store (or atleast you could on the s3 and s4)

CTH-EVO

you can root the phone without a PC, and if im not mistaken you can install twrp via goomanager in the play store (or atleast you could on the s3 and s4)

Hello, and thanks for the reply.

I have no problem using a PC. In fact I'm managing some 60 servers, and am writting this reply from
one of tham now. The problem I'm having, is that Android is Linux-based, I run *BSD, which can load
the Linux ABI. But all of the methods for the SM-G900P (Galaxy/S5) require purchasing Windows,
and a PC to install it on. Not giong to happen. I just spent $600.00 on the phone, and if I require
Windows to root a Linux phone, I'm returning the phone, and getting one that roots from a *NIX box.
Also I don't have any Google accounts. So the G* stuff is also out.

In the end. It appears Samsung (S5's anyway) are just a bad choice. Unless you like Windows, anyway.

Thanks again.

--Chris

CTH-EVO

Hello, and thanks for the reply.

I have no problem using a PC. In fact I'm managing some 60 servers, and am writting this reply from
one of tham now. The problem I'm having, is that Android is Linux-based, I run *BSD, which can load
the Linux ABI. But all of the methods for the SM-G900P (Galaxy/S5) require purchasing Windows,
and a PC to install it on. Not giong to happen. I just spent $600.00 on the phone, and if I require
Windows to root a Linux phone, I'm returning the phone, and getting one that roots from a *NIX box.
Also I don't have any Google accounts. So the G* stuff is also out.

In the end. It appears Samsung (S5's anyway) are just a bad choice. Unless you like Windows, anyway.

Thanks again.

--Chris

In the end, I found towelroot. Which rooted the phone w/o tripping KNOX. So all is good, after all. :)

--Chris

Reactions: sslbaron

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
In the end, I found towelroot. Which rooted the phone w/o tripping KNOX. So all is good, after all. :)

--Chris

You can actually root using Heimdall, which is essentially the Linux version of Odin(which DOES require PC). It does trip Knox, however, since it's flashing your phone. In the end, you are rooted, which is the most important thing. Just remember, though, if you want to flash ANYTHING, there are two ways, through Odin(or Heimdall), or custom recovery. To get custom recovery, you have to flash through Odin(or Heimdall). Both ways trips Knox. Moral of the story, if you're only using root to use some features on some apps, perfect. If you want to flash mods, tweaks, roms, themes, etc, etc...you have to trip Knox to do so. Just thought I'd point that out. Good luck!

fergie716

May 14, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yea for future use you don't need Windows to root the phone and put a custom recovery on. I used Towelroot with the mod strings for newer Samsung phones then used Mobile Odin to flash my recovery image. Alternatively, you can use dd to flash any recovery.img but you need root first. To dd the recovery image use Terminal Emulator, make sure the recovery image (TWRP, Philz, etc) is on the root of your "Main Storage" (SD, not ExtSD) and rename it to "recovery.img" then enter these commands:

su
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Links:

Mobile Odin (Use to flash recovery.img or recovery.tar, MUST be rooted before using)

Mod Strings for Towelroot and How-To Access It (I used 1337 0 1 7380 4 0)

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk

--Chris

Towelroot is listed as option #2 in the OP for rooting. Also, Linux does not require additional driver download. It should install them automatically when connected to the device which is why none are listed on Samsung's site.

steve97ta

Jun 7, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I can confirm Towel root and using flashify to install custom recovery works

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Smyc151

Smyc151

Aug 26, 2010
I can confirm Towel root and using flashify to install custom recovery works

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Does this method trip the Knox counter?

On that note, I'm interested in learning more about Knox. My S5 arrives sometime today, and it's the first Samsung I've had since before Android was around. I'm coming from the Optimus G, which is about as easy as it gets.

I'd like to root the phone ASAP, and though I've googled it extensively, I haven't gotten a straight answer to this question: if the Knox counter is tripped, is the warranty on the phone void? If that's the case, should I wait a couple weeks after getting the phone to root it if it'll trip the Knox counter, just in case something is wrong with it and it needs to be replaced?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions for me!

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013

On that note, I'm interested in learning more about Knox. My S5 arrives sometime today, and it's the first Samsung I've had since before Android was around. I'm coming from the Optimus G, which is about as easy as it gets.

I'd like to root the phone ASAP, and though I've googled it extensively, I haven't gotten a straight answer to this question: if the Knox counter is tripped, is the warranty on the phone void? If that's the case, should I wait a couple weeks after getting the phone to root it if it'll trip the Knox counter, just in case something is wrong with it and it needs to be replaced?

Towel root does not trip Knox and here's a good read.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487714

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
Thanks! Does installing a custom recovery via Flashify trip it?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Free mobile app

I am not familiar with that method. The only sure way I know of to flash custom recovery is through Odin, which will trip Odin

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
OP updated..... recommending PhilZ instead of TWRP due to numerous reports of backups not working correctly with newest version. Will add TWRP back as an option once it is updated to work with NE5.

If there is any other information that needs changed/updated please let me know so new users can have the most up-to-date info.

Thanks.

fergie716

May 14, 2011
Buffalo, NY
OP updated..... recommending PhilZ instead of TWRP due to numerous reports of backups not working correctly with newest version. Will add TWRP back as an option once it is updated to work with NE5.

If there is any other information that needs changed/updated please let me know so new users can have the most up-to-date info.

Thanks.
Great job on the OP, I have had no issues backing up and restoring using the latest TWRP but I have seen others report issues. If it helps, I do not use compression or MD5 checks and also turned off the screen saver option.

If possible maybe expand upon option #2 for rooting without a PC (include the Mod Strings used within TowelRoot as well as Mobile Odin). I made a post a page back with links for all of that.

Also, maybe a disclaimer noting that flashing a custom recovery will trip Knox security and increase the Knox counter, which is non reversible (as of right now anyway) and voids the warranty of the phone. I know it's plastered everywhere but since this is the standardized thread for rooting and flashing a custom recovery that info may be helpful/important.

Thanks again for gathering all of the pertinent info

Reactions: CCallahan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root Sprint S5 step-by-step....the following is for the Sprint SM-G900P (S5) and SM-860P (Sport S5) Updated 10/20/2014

*The SM-G900P method has been confirmed to work on the Virgin Mobile branded S5. However, do this at your own risk*

-----> If you would rather watch a video of how to root the S5 check out qbking77's here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52587088&postcount=1

Please thank the owners of the threads in the links for the work put in to post the necessary files to obtain root/hotspot

**As always, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. Just follow the easy steps and all will be good.**

*Before you proceed, if you have not taken the official ND2 or NE5 update from Sammy yet and want to then do that now. It is easier to do the update before obtaining root.

STEP 1 - DRIVERS
    Download the Samsung S5 driver and install on your Windows PC: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-G900PZKASPR
    --->If you are using Linux no additional driver download is required.<---

After you install the drivers, plug in your phone to the PC and make sure it detects your device and loads the drivers properly. Should be able to access your storage. If not, don't proceed because chances are Odin will not recognize the device either. If this happens, try a different usb port, re-booting PC, cable, etc.​

STEP 2 - OBTAIN ROOT SM-G900P (S5)
    **Disclaimer.....using CF Auto Root method will trip the Knox counter and can not be undone. This will void the warranty on your device. Towelroot method in itself does not trip the Knox counter.**
    There are 2 options for root. Pick whichever you are more comfortable with (my preference is towelroot because it is a faster and safer one click method):

Option 1: **According to the latest info from towelroot thread, this will only work with Kernels dated prior to June 3rd, 2014. May work on newer but chances are not good due to Google supposedly patching the exploit.**

This can be done without the use of a PC. Go HERE, click the symbol, and download the towelroot apk.
    After download, install and run. Then, go to Play Store and download/install SuperSU. Run to update binary. Done.

---->For More Adventurous Users....if you want to utilize mod strings for towelroot, install recovery without a PC using Mobile Odin, etc. see HERE Courtesy of fergie716

Option 2: Download Chainfire's S5 Autoroot (Odin included in package): http://download.chainfire.eu/408/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-kltespr-kltespr-smg900p.zip
    Then go here and just follow the steps: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51421067&postcount=2

STEP 2 - OBTAIN ROOT SM-G860P (Sport S5)
    **Disclaimer.....using the following method to root (currently the only available) will trip the Knox counter and can not be undone. This will void the warranty on your device.**
    Download Chainfire's Sport S5 Autoroot (Odin included in package): http://download.chainfire.eu/460/CF-...ts-smg860p.zip

STEP 3 - CUSTOM RECOVERY SM-G900P (S5)
    **Disclaimer.....flashing a custom recovery will trip the Knox counter and can not be undone. This will void the warranty on your device.**
    Download the latest PhilZ CWM Advanced Touch .tar.md5 file (custom recovery): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2706253
    Take this .tar.md5 file and put in your Odin folder. If you don't have Odin yet then download from here: xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421

Then just follow the Odin directions on this page under "How to install with Odin". Just remember you are installing PhilZ and not TWRP but steps are still the same: [url]http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51450356&postcount=1[/URL]​

STEP 3 - CUSTOM RECOVERY SM-G860P (Sport S5)
    **Disclaimer.....flashing a custom recovery will trip the Knox counter and can not be undone. This will void the warranty on your device.**

STEP 4 - NANDROID BACKUP
    Don't skip----> Now that you have root and a custom recovery, first thing you should do is make a backup in recovery just in case something goes wrong in the future. (hold press Vol Up + Home + Power when powered off to boot into recovery) **I strongly recommend that you backup EFS as well. Keep the backup in a safe place afterwards** Or, you can go HERE, download the tool, and backup EFS with the app. Make sure you have Busybox installed first and put the produced backup in a safe place such as PC hard drive, cloud storage, etc.​

Optional:
    Now that you are rooted what is a flashaholic to do?
    For a comprehensive list of mods, roms, and add-ons click here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52456762&postcount=1

Done. Flash away.
    Yea for future use you don't need Windows to root the phone and put a custom recovery on. I used Towelroot with the mod strings for newer Samsung phones then used Mobile Odin to flash my recovery image. Alternatively, you can use dd to flash any recovery.img but you need root first. To dd the recovery image use Terminal Emulator, make sure the recovery image (TWRP, Philz, etc) is on the root of your "Main Storage" (SD, not ExtSD) and rename it to "recovery.img" then enter these commands:

su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Links:

Mobile Odin (Use to flash recovery.img or recovery.tar, MUST be rooted before using)

Mod Strings for Towelroot and How-To Access It (I used 1337 0 1 7380 4 0)
    Will confirm just received new S5 in the mail yesterday, fired it up installed Towel root and all rooted. Thanks for this simple and easy way. By far the easiest root I have ever achieved, no computer, no cables, no Odin...
    Can't beat that. Thank you for putting this thread together @CCallahan

Have a great day!

+1..fyi, if you're still on NE5 and take the NK4 OTA you lose root, but Tr gets it right back :)

Just upgraded from the s4 and definitely want to get my s5 rooted... The representative at the store automatically did the updates, so I'm curious will the 2nd option (no pc needed) still work?

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda premium

Yes, you should be able to root using towelroot without using your PC even with the latest update.

Towel root does not trip Knox and here's a good read.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487714