F400S/K/L Versions (Hardware Comparison) and usage on AT&T

Search This thread

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Does the antenna stand out much? Or is it hidden? Thanks

Pretty well hidden. Since the antenna is somewhat recessed, when the cases for US and international version come out, they should work fine with the device--the antenna however would be inaccessible if you plan on using it.

My case for it now is for the korean variant, so it has the antenna cutout.

KachowPow

Oct 23, 2012
Philadelphia
Pretty well hidden. Since the antenna is somewhat recessed, when the cases for US and international version come out, they should work fine with the device--the antenna however would be inaccessible if you plan on using it.

My case for it now is for the korean variant, so it has the antenna cutout.

Crazy thought as I don't have mine yet to really look at. Since that antenna is useless, if removed you think it could fit a stylus?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Crazy thought as I don't have mine yet to really look at. Since that antenna is useless, if removed you think it could fit a stylus?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Realistically, probably not. Mainly because the thickest part of the antenna is still pretty thin, relative to most styli. Might be worth a try for those willing to venture the risk. Phone is still too new for me to try to do anything like that... maybe in a year or so ;)

ibsta

Jun 25, 2014
Flashing international Rom

Hey all,

I got the korean version last night.. Loads of Korean stuff on it and i cant seem to get it into english! Ive been searching all night, i found the custom light rom "VDT-V3 superlight" but im getting issues with it like pushing home screen brings up the option to chose from "home" or "Easy Home".. I default it to Home.. but it just keeps coming back!!

Basically, am i going to be able to flash international firmware on this?

Cheers

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
Hey all,

I got the korean version last night.. Loads of Korean stuff on it and i cant seem to get it into english! Ive been searching all night, i found the custom light rom "VDT-V3 superlight" but im getting issues with it like pushing home screen brings up the option to chose from "home" or "Easy Home".. I default it to Home.. but it just keeps coming back!!

Basically, am i going to be able to flash international firmware on this?

Cheers

In theory, with LG FlashTool, you should be able to (with a build.prop edit), however you will most likely lose software LTE Band support. Just to give an example: The S/L variants offer support for LTE 850 MHz, whereas the K supports LTE 900 MHz in its place. On the S/L version, if you were to load the K factory software, you lose out on software recognition of LTE 850 MHz (unsure if the hardware is still able to connect, but I imagine it is both a hardware/software connection).

What this would mean is that though you should be able to load the D855 factory .TOT and .DLL, you will have conflicts with the software recognizing certain hardware aspects.

Ultimately, your best hope is that an awesome developer will create some type of universal super ROM that would let you flash certain features specific to your device. Also considering the D855 will have some kind of FM antenna, the FM radio software will be completely useless on our Korean variants, as we do not have the built-in tuner (we have a DMB tuner instead).

Hope this helps :)

zerglisk

Apr 1, 2010
Why are 700 not listed?

It's strange that they don't list 700MHz B17 on nearly all the seller's page (ebay, amazon, etc).
Why are they not listing it? I am kind of skeptical to not see those numbers before buying one, lol.
Did you have to "unlock" those frequency bands from a special menu before they will work on AT&T? If you do, can you briefly explain it?
Thanks!

ibsta

Jun 25, 2014
Aww man

In theory, with LG FlashTool, you should be able to (with a build.prop edit), however you will most likely lose software LTE Band support. Just to give an example: The S/L variants offer support for LTE 850 MHz, whereas the K supports LTE 900 MHz in its place. On the S/L version, if you were to load the K factory software, you lose out on software recognition of LTE 850 MHz (unsure if the hardware is still able to connect, but I imagine it is both a hardware/software connection).

What this would mean is that though you should be able to load the D855 factory .TOT and .DLL, you will have conflicts with the software recognizing certain hardware aspects.

Ultimately, your best hope is that an awesome developer will create some type of universal super ROM that would let you flash certain features specific to your device. Also considering the D855 will have some kind of FM antenna, the FM radio software will be completely useless on our Korean variants, as we do not have the built-in tuner (we have a DMB tuner instead).

Hope this helps :)

DUDE..that sounds like a major mess!! Im going to wait till the release here and try and sell this one!

Awesome phone though.

I moved from the nexus 5, after 2 years of usage, 3 different ones.. to the g2 and now this g3 is grand!!.

Thanks for the help dude, much appreciated :)

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
It's strange that they don't list 700MHz B17 on nearly all the seller's page (ebay, amazon, etc).
Why are they not listing it? I am kind of skeptical to not see those numbers before buying one, lol.
Did you have to "unlock" those frequency bands from a special menu before they will work on AT&T? If you do, can you briefly explain it?
Thanks!

Nope, the frequencies were there from the get go. :) The only thing I have done to the phone is root it so that I could remove bloatware. The performance of the Korean devices are fine, once you remove all the excess background junk. My only issue I have had is with AT&T and awful service reps who have no idea what an IMEI is... took a bit before I found someone who could update my microSIM's IMEI record to match that of my new G3... I swear AT&T customer service people don't know jack...

Out where I am, the 700 MHz LTE is the only offering by AT&T for LTE service, so this was a perfect option for me.

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
DUDE..that sounds like a major mess!! Im going to wait till the release here and try and sell this one!

Awesome phone though.

I moved from the nexus 5, after 2 years of usage, 3 different ones.. to the g2 and now this g3 is grand!!.

Thanks for the help dude, much appreciated :)

Thanks for the kudos :). Keep the questions coming, if you are curious... I probably shoulda mentioned my Korean isn't too bad... helps quite a bit when traversing some of the other features of this phone. I laugh that it can take voice commands in Korean and English, but not through the same app... for now lol

vince2398

Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for the kudos :). Keep the questions coming, if you are curious... I probably shoulda mentioned my Korean isn't too bad... helps quite a bit when traversing some of the other features of this phone. I laugh that it can take voice commands in Korean and English, but not through the same app... for now lol

Are there still apps or settings in Korean even after you changed the language to English? Thanks

antonpace

May 10, 2013
Hola folks!

As an owner of the F400S, I can tell you that all 3 variants will run on AT&T LTE (as a lot of our LTE is on Band 17 - 700 MHz spectrum). I was able to load my F400S with the TOT and DLL files of all 3 variants (currently waiting on getting it back to the "S" variant once the DLL is posted), and all 3 variants will connect to AT&T with no issues (for those of you that plan on importing like I did).

:

If I read this right. The korean model will work on AT&T LTE band 17 out of the box, even though no sites list the 700mhz, without any tinkering?

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
If I read this right. The korean model will work on AT&T LTE band 17 out of the box, even though no sites list the 700mhz, without any tinkering?

Yup. Not sure why they would leave a detail like that out, but as stated in previous posts, enough AT&T users got their hands on all 3 variants, and all were able to connect to AT&T's chunk of the 700 MHz spectrum.

Reactions: antonpace

antonpace

May 10, 2013
Yup. Not sure why they would leave a detail like that out, but as stated in previous posts, enough AT&T users got their hands on all 3 variants, and all were able to connect to AT&T's chunk of the 700 MHz spectrum.

hmmm. Interesting. Maybe I'll have to take chance on that one. Been following another thread for the D855 and they had no luck even though that model lists 700. Now concluding it is a different band than AT&T. They all are returning them lol

Thanks for the reply!

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014

Thinking about getting the F400 cause the D855 says it gets 700mhz but some users cant get LTE with it.

No idea why.

I heard the screen isnt as bright on the korean one though, like significantly. Idk if thats an update thing or?

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
is the screen too dim on these variants S/K/L?

No its perfectly readable on the S model even in direct sunlight. It's better than the S5 in my opinion. Everyone is different, but I haven't had any issues. As we all know the G3 has a reflective screen, but its not that noticeable to me atleast.

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
No its perfectly readable on the S model even in direct sunlight. It's better than the S5 in my opinion. Everyone is different, but I haven't had any issues. As we all know the G3 has a reflective screen, but its not that noticeable to me atleast.

Have you compared yourself with the S5?

I had the s5 and thought it was good in light so if you say this is better then im sold.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Have you compared yourself with the S5?

I had the s5 and thought it was good in light so if you say this is better then im sold.

My wife has an S5 and I have compared them, to me the G3 is more readable, but everyone is different. There are comparisons out there of it in direct sunlight, but I have not had any issues. I would post pictures/videos, but I as I mentioned in an earlier post my phone is currently KIA.

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
Sucks that we cant use d855 model but I guess it happens :\ so weird though.

Hoping we can flash other roms once devs start making roms for them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hola folks!

After finding enough screenshots/video reviews, I am beginning to think that from a hardware perspective the S and L variants are identical (including supported bands), whereas the K is only slightly different from S/L.

Any images of the back cover off on the K models (Olleh) will show "F400 0425 K" indicating the hardware is the "K" variant. (If you watch the review video http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g3-review, you will notice this info up at the top on the backside, right above the camera.) UPDATE: Here is another link with an image http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/lg-g3-review-a-great-phone-with-way-too-many-pixels/#image-4

On the S/L (SK Telecom, LG U+) models, they say "F400 0423 S/L" on the SK Telecom model ("S" variant), and "F400 0425 S/L" on the LG U+ model ("L" variant). You can find images of the "S" model with engadget's review (http://www.engadget.com/gallery/lg-g3-review/2676959/#!slide=2676963), and images of the "L" model with ubreakifix's F400L teardown (http://www.ubreakifix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ubif-g3-21.jpg).

(Thanks and kudos to the review sites and teardown site for the images.) :)

As an owner of the F400S, I can tell you that all 3 variants will run on AT&T LTE (as a lot of our LTE is on Band 17 - 700 MHz spectrum). I was able to load my F400S with the TOT and DLL files of all 3 variants (currently waiting on getting it back to the "S" variant once the DLL is posted), and all 3 variants will connect to AT&T with no issues (for those of you that plan on importing like I did).

So for those of you who managed to brick your new G3, as long as you can ADB into it, you can edit your build.prop file with the corresponding korean variant model info, and load any stock image. As @wolfgart has posted a great thread with the TOTs and DLLs, I recommend swinging through there for more info. If you have a K variant, load the K TOT and DLL, and you are fine.

For those of us with S/L variants--with the above info and enough tinkering in the hidden menus of all 3 variants, I can tell you that from a hardware perspective these two models are nearly identical. From a modem/supported frequencies perspective, the S and L variants support the exact same frequencies--meaning, if you bricked your S or L version, you can restore it with an S or L TOT and DLL (after editing build.prop if needed) and you will still get all of your original hardware supported bands/frequencies. This is critical for those of you using LTE Band 5 to connect to your data... (should not be the case for any US AT&T users...).
    UPDATE: in the 'Android Development' section, wolfgart's thread with the TOTs and DLLs have been updated to now include the files for all 3 models. So unless you know what you are doing with a build.prop edit, probably best to stick with what came with the phones for those who are new to this stuff.

The main difference between the S/L and K phones in frequency/band support is that LTE Band 8 is supported on the K model only, whereas you will get LTE Band 5 support on the S/L models. All other bands and frequencies (WCDMA/GSM) are the same across all 3 models. All 3 also support LTE Band 17, and will connect to AT&T in the US.

Took me a while to figure this out, but I had a long weekend :cool:
    Any thoughts about the L/S version suporting LTE Band 7?
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't connect to LTE with band 7 so I can't say much on that. However, just based on the hidden menus in both (I am using the L version on my S variant phone at the moment), they both have the same listings of 1,3,5,7 for supported bands.

LTE 700, 850, 1800, 2100, 2600 (Band 17, Band 5, Band 3, Band 1, and Band 7 respectively)
    UMTS 850, 1900, 2100
    GSM 800, 900, 1800, 1900

The above are the fully supported bands on the S and L variants.

The below are the fully supported bands on the K variant.

LTE 700, 900, 1800, 2100, 2600 (Band 17, Band 8, Band 3, Band 1, and Band 7 respectively)
    UMTS 850, 1900, 2100
    GSM 800, 900, 1800, 1900

I don't have the K variant on my device now, but I recall the only band difference is that it supports LTE band 8 (900 MHz) instead of LTE band 5 (850 MHz), but other supported bands are the same. LTE Band 5 is one of the primary bands for both SK Telecom and LG U+ (which partially explains why the two phones have nearly identical hardware, including modem support).

Hope this answers your question. As support for those frequencies are built in (and it makes sense on LG as a mass manufacturer--They can use the same modem and just rebrand it like they did in Korea for the S and L variants).
    Why is the S one more expensive than the L?
    Why is the S one more expensive than the L?

That, my friend, is a question you will have to ask LG and SK Telecom. We sorta see that in the US every so often with "special editions" that aren't really that special and they will add an extra 100ish.

Off-contract, LG U+ is the most affordable right now, with SK Telecom right around $700 USD. With markup and shipping, etc. eBayers are selling it for $750-800.

Also, you have to remember the G3 is a hot commodity even in Korea right now. Had some friends who thought it was funny I got a phone overseas before they even bothered joining the bandwagon.

So though I can't say for sure why exactly it's more expensive, I can definitely say it has to do with the fact that the phone is still only 3 weeks old :)
    Yeah...I'm a proud owner of a Htc One M7...I have been thinking a lot and decided that it's time to change. I'm comparing the M8, the Z2, the G3 for a long time and finally think that this last one will be the one...unfortunately it's still very soon to easily find information regarding this phone online...

Your information helped me a lot...now I know exactly which variant to buy :fingers-crossed:...thank you guys very much :D

It looks like you are planning on doing the same upgrade I did. I still have my M7 as my backup :), but definitely gotta say I am loving my G3. :cool: