Originally Posted by snapper11
I have a few questions concerning my newly acquired Note 3.
1) The device came running with 4.3. Is it worth updating it to kitkat 4.4.2 or should I just stay on 4.3 and what are the benefits of updating? I still have a few days to exchange out my device if anything should happen so if its worth getting kitkat and it I encounter problems, no big deal.
2) What is the average on screen time for a non rooted device?
I am only getting close to 4 hours of on screen time although the device lasts about a full day. I've seen some reported times of 6 hours which is incredible. I've already put brightness to 50%, turned off many of the apps I don't use, and tweaked many settings for better battery life, but still only get 4 hours on screen time.
3) I get a notification titled "Preventative information" which goes on to state "an application has been forced to stop for an unauthorized attempt to access system in your device." After playing around with it I figured out it had something to do with the knox app. I turned that off and it resolved the constant notification. Is this ok to do?
I appreciate the responses in advance.
1) I got my device on Feb 2014 and it was a recent manufactured and came with stock Kitkat. So 1st I will advice to check the manufacturing date, these days Note 3 doesn’t comes with Jellybean anymore. I will advice definitely you should upgrade it to 4.4.2, updated version always better than previous one, increase stability and security and functional upgrades. However clearly don’t know about the difference between Jellybean and Kitkat but there is few new added features and visual changes.
If you can exchange with a more recent manufactured one which comes with stock Kitkat that is much much better. As many user after upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4 facing many issues.
If you don’t exchange and upgrade the same phone, after upgrade hard reset your phone from boot menu. Not from setting factory reset. (I didn’t do this as mine comes with stock kitkat but I read many user recommend this to avoid issues after upgrading.
Only drawback on Kitkat I found it doesn’t let non-stock apps to write data in external Sd card.
2) I never tested the constant screen time but 4 hours looks way too low. However in this phone the screen takes the most of the battery as its large. So I think it would give around 6hours on screen. Mine give one and half day for an average use after full charge.
Edit: you can set the brightness to 40% as mine is enough at this. Also better if you use auto brightness, but I found it very low at indoor.
3) sorry no idea, didn’t see this notification so far.