Originally Posted by StarKnife
Hi, My HTC Desire 816 is about 2 weeks old. I've had problems connecting the device to my personal computer (running Windows 7). I've reinstalled HTC Sync Manager several times, turned on USB Debugging, and even switched cables and ports but to no avail. When I try to update the driver, Windows faces an error saying it's unauthorized to install the driver for the device. However, the device connects perfectly to my office laptop also running Windows 7. I am able to transfer files on that system but not on my personal computer. The HTC website also has been of no help, except for asking to reinstall HTC Sync Manager. Please help. Thank You.
I am pretty sure that you guys have already tried all those, but just wanted to remind you all again as a benefit of doubt. HTC sync manager will install the required drivers usually, but in some cases due to firewall or any antivirus systems within our computer, only few files will get installed and other will get blocked. The best way to tackle this problem is to follow the below steps
1. Uninstall the HTC related drivers if installed partially previously.
2. Reboot the system - which is must
3. Then turn of your firewall or internet security or antivirus on your computer for 10 min or more
4. Connect the HTC 816 to computer using the different USB port that is not used before. (Every new USB port needs installing drivers. So hopefully this might help)
5. Install the HTC sync manager
Hopefully it should recognise. If not, try following the same steps with different USB cable.
Hit thanks if I helped you so that I will know the above steps worked for you guys too as they did work for me personally. All the best.