[OFFICIAL] Android Lollipop Discussion (Android Lollipop Released)

How many of you will use Android L as your daily driver?

• Total voters
Search This thread

brenty108

Jan 12, 2011
santa flora
What do you guys think about the switch to ART,it seems frameworks like xposed and wanam will have to be rewritten entirely or am I missing something?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have been getting accustomed to art for awhile because I knew this change was gonna happen. Living without xposed for a whole did hurt but it would be able to run on art sometimes in the near future. So I'm fine and am waiting to test 'L' out ?

habylab

Dec 3, 2010
Should be anytime soon!

Sent from my Linaro SM'd CM11 Galaxy S3, with arter's kernel. A proud Googy Beta tester.

MWFD

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
Is there a master thread that lists which apps are compatible and not compatible with ART? This would be useful and time-saving if we are going to be restoring backed up apps/apks.

Reactions: habylab

brenty108

Jan 12, 2011
santa flora
Is there a master thread that lists which apps are compatible and not compatible with ART? This would be useful and time-saving if we are going to be restoring backed up apps/apks.

I flash roms occasionally and restore apps every time and use art a lot and have never seen an app that doesn't play well with art.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Should be anytime soon!

Sent from my Linaro SM'd CM11 Galaxy S3, with arter's kernel. A proud Googy Beta tester.

Yeah they real taking their time to release it ?

Reactions: MWFD

habylab

Dec 3, 2010

We need this. Although, if you paid attention to the conference, no code has to be changed now. So all apps.

Just mods, like xposed, won't work.

Reactions: MWFD

MWFD

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
I flash roms occasionally and restore apps every time and use art a lot and have never seen an app that doesn't play well with art.

so to clarify, most apps at this point are compatible with ART and shouldn't have issues?

EDIT: after reading previous post above mine, sounds like just mods will be impacted. That works for me. Thanks all

G.K.

Apr 16, 2012
Well...

Material Design is a rip off of modern ui from windows phone.

I don't believe that to be accurate. It's more an implementation of design philosophy that originated in the early 20th century in the U.S. and from Bauhaus at Dessau. If you look up Bauhaus and click on images you'll see some similarities. Design is supposed to be simple but functional. The famous "form follows function" that we have been using in architecture and industrial design for nearly a hundred years, yet the designing of buildings and furniture has been around for thousands of years, is starting to take hold of tech design. Technology design, namely software, is relatively new so we haven't had as much practice. This isn't Android trying to rip someone off, it's simply a company that has started to care more about the user experience as it deals with design.

In my opinion Windows Mobile UI falls short of good design while Android and IOS are nearly there.

Hope this cleared some things up.

Reactions: thisguysayswht

TheIronMaiden

Jul 30, 2013
Chicago
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I don't believe that to be accurate. It's more an implementation of design philosophy that originated in the early 20th century in the U.S. and from Bauhaus at Dessau. If you look up Bauhaus and click on images you'll see some similarities. Design is supposed to be simple but functional. The famous "form follows function" that we have been using in architecture and industrial design for nearly a hundred years, yet the designing of buildings and furniture has been around for thousands of years, is starting to take hold of tech design. Technology design, namely software, is relatively new so we haven't had as much practice. This isn't Android trying to rip someone off, it's simply a company that has started to care more about the user experience as it deals with design.

In my opinion Windows Mobile UI falls short of good design while Android and IOS are nearly there.

Hope this cleared some things up.

Windows phone and windows 8 are based on the designs of Massimo Vignelli, a painter of the 50's. He utilizes a simple but bold visual design similar to what you've referred to. Even though google and apple have adopted similar designs, windows(Microsoft) has been implementing those designs ahead of time. Google being the latter.

G.K.

Apr 16, 2012

Windows phone and windows 8 are based on the designs of Massimo Vignelli, a painter of the 50's. He utilizes a simple but bold visual design similar to what you've referred to. Even though google and apple have adopted similar designs, windows(Microsoft) has been implementing those designs ahead of time. Google being the latter.

Bauhaus 1915-1933 : Android 2013-Current

Massimo Vignelli 1931-2014 : Windows Mobile 2010-Current

EDIT: This is how I see it at least. Some may even claim that Vignelli may have been influenced by the teachings(design philosophies) of Walter Gropius who was one of the founder of Bauhaus. Design is something that should be encouraged. Honestly, there will always be similarities since there is only so much that can be functional in smartphone OS's. Anyway have a good day man.

Last edited:

TheIronMaiden

Jul 30, 2013
Chicago
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Bauhaus 1915-1933 : Android 2013-Current

Massimo Vignelli 1931-2014 : Windows Mobile 2010-Current

EDIT: This is how I see it at least. Some may even claim that Vignelli may have been influenced by the teachings(design philosophies) of Walter Gropius who was one of the founder of Bauhaus. Design is something that should be encouraged. Honestly, there will always be similarities since there is only so much that can be functional in smartphone OS's. Anyway have a good day man.

Good day to you too. That's right, only way to innovate these days is to take something and make it better. Take it easy, dude

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post is no more updated !

Now just type in and check which apps are working with Lollipop
    HERE

For those planning on keeping Android L!

Download link :
    https://developer.android.com/preview/setup-sdk.html

Download image and use flash all.bat for windows. Make sure you don't remove -w from flash all.bat as android l needs complete wipe with clean install. All your data /apps on your nexus would be lost! Make sure to make a backup!
    Read complete instructions for flashing an image HERE

Apps not working. I'll keep updating !
    -Titanium from market, see workaround
    -Greenify results in a restart
    -Facebook seems to have little issues in like/comments! See workaround
    -Es file explorer in root mode
    -MX player pro with some decoders
    -Beats (some DDR game),
    -Beat Hazard Ultra,
    -Archos Video Player
    -Twitter (Twitter Beta seems to work)
    -PPSSPP (only tested it with one game under certain conditions; needs further verification though)
    -dropbox UI but app seems to work perfectly
    -Firefox,
    -Opera,
    -Dolphin,
    -Flashfox,
    - Kindle
    - Audible
    -XDA app
    - Essential Anatomy 3
    -Mx Player/BS Player many other crashes at times
    -Quickreboot(nothing happens maybe root is not detected by the app.)
    -one football

Apps that need a work around

-FX File Explorer w/ Root Add-on doesn't work until you configure it to use the system busybox instead, but after that it seems to work fine.
    -Download Titanium Test Built from their twitter or see post 501- 5 on page 51 for link/instructions! Free version is supported now
    -Need Quickboot? Download BusyBox Installer by JRummy and use its scripter to boot into recovery/restart etc
    -Facebook; downgrade it! download here
    -MX player test build works like a charm.
    https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build

Kernel working: (root is not fully functional on custom kernels)
    -ElementalX works fine 2.13v but battery life extender doesnot work
    -Bulletproof 2.2
    -Franco (not personally tested)
    -Glitch (officially in thread)
    Rooting :
    You will first need to flash latest twrp [given in link below] (2.7.1.1) and then boot into recovery and flash root.zip in twrp. Update SuperSU from Google play!
    Root.zip link
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53715043&postcount=267
    For recovery
    Recovery links
    http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/flo
    Or
    http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/flo

Download the above file. Turn off your device. Turn on the device and keep holding volume down until a menu shows up. The device will now be in fastboot mode. Plug the device into your computer. If you have the right drivers installed, your screen should now say FASTBOOT USB. Run the following command via the command line:

fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img

Note that you will need to change the last part to match the name of the file that you just downloaded. You will also need adb and fastboot for your computer.
    The stock ROM will automatically replace TWRP with the stock recovery. To prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP, boot TWRP, go to the mount menu and mount system, press the home button, then press Advanced -> File Manager. Browse to /system and select the file named recovery-from-boot.p then choose to rename the file to recovery-from-boot.bak
    PROBLEMS WITH ROOT/BUSYBOX OR ANYTHING SUCH ?
    Try this method :

-flash custom boot.img from here CUSTOM BOOT IMAGE
    -download recovery from above and flash it using fastboot commands
    -flash SuperSU from twrp. Link above

You can use NRT (Wugfresh tool) to execute these commands as well but you will need to choose custom images!

You will not get full root unless you are on busybox 1.22.1 stericson. The system is protected so flash custom boot.IMG/boot.zip via recovery to gain write permissions!
    NO GALLERY APP
    Surprisingly, there is no gallery app with Android L built in. Install from attachment like normal apk!
    Push to system to make it a system app
    Root Android L -100% Working

supersu v2.00
    busybox
    Oh jeez, tomorrow all of the panic people are gonna be back. All saying "I didn't get it yet", what's going on?", "is it here yet?", " oh my god what is wrong with google?", "its so stupid that google does this". These update threads are my favorite. People act like google specially promised them lollipop on a certain day at a certain time and they didn't get it, and their device is going to explode and destroy their lives because of it. Lmao. And when they get it they will be back to complain about the bugs in it. And say " why didn't they just wait until it was ready before they released it?" And all the threads will pop up with the title "Lollipop ruined my tablet".
    Now this is entertainment! Keep it coming. When you're dying for this update just remember that some apps won't run on art, some rooted apps will no longer work, and xposed doesn't work on ART yet. And many other reasons not to want to rush it. Keep in mind we will all have it soon. And not long after, all the things we love will be working properly. This place rocks and all of us together make android worth it. Now all the " can't wait" people need to hurry up and get back in here and get this thread Rollin again!
    Any speculation on final release?

I speculate there will be one.
    Uploading twrp backup

Hey guys I just made a TWRP backup of a fresh install of the L Release Developer Preview!

Currently uploading to Mega so I'll post a link as soon as it´s done... Also, if anyone knows a better client to upload the files tell me please as this is talking a while

Maybe someone will want to try it for MultiRom