Camera lens cover gers scratched easily?

Search This thread

eurotrader1972

Jun 6, 2014
HTC one M8 lens cover scratches

I have an M8. The phone is protected by a supcase and glass screen protector. The supcase has a deep back recess so the lens is not in contact with surfaces. I keep the phone in a pocket of my jacket alone. No keys no coins

The lens is getting progressively worse. It appears that even polishing it causes scratches. Photos are now blurred and I'm forced to return it and hope HTC do not blame wear and tear.

The best defence I have is that by comparison the depth sensor above the camera is completely unmarked. DOes this suggest a problem with the lens cover? I think so. We will see.

gfreek

Apr 4, 2005
Good thread, I thought the camera lens was scratched permanently but as it turns out it's just the coating likely to be anti-reflective. Anyway I used Mr Sheen spray and wiped with fine microfibre cloth and the scratches are gone.?

spatula75

Jan 31, 2012
I haven't been so lucky with being able to polish the scratches out of mine, and the HTC rep with whom I spoke on the phone was completely and utterly worthless. No, I am not going to be without my phone for two weeks while I wait for you to maybe send me a replacement while still potentially deciding that magic scratches are not your fault and then doing nothing about it at all.

To be clear, the phone has been in a cloth pocket the majority of the time; it has not come into contact with anything scratchier than pocket lint... and though there are scads of reports about this problem online, the HTC guy claimed no knowledge of any problems.

gchild320

Feb 17, 2012
Terre Haute
You guys need to read more carefully. There is a protective coating on the lens that must be removed to clean up your photo quality. Then cut a small piece of screen protector to cover it if you're worried.

Read back, use Google, most recommend rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: elsworth1983

onukomer

They seem like scratches but really aren't.
I thought the same thing as well...It is actually a coating that flakes off.
What I did was spray a little bit of plastic cleaner on a microfiber cloth and rubbed vigorously and came out perfect as new.
The cleaner can be found on Amazon...It is called Plexus and works wonders and is non abrasive.

yes! i am tired this way and its worked! the glass is now sleek :)

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
My lens looked scratched just as described here.

Indeed it is only a coating!

I used a qtip and alcohol and rubbed vigorously.

Beware. The coating will smudge. I tested the camera with the smudged coating and the camera looked as if very hazy.

Then I rubbed the qtip with alcohol in circles with force. Be careful. The lens starts to move!

Hopefully it stays on. But as for the scratches. They are gone !

HTC M8

tele_jas

Aug 18, 2006
Mount Vernon
Are you talking about the "main" camera, or the front "selfie" camera??

My front camera had that coating on it that I rubbed off, but now my back camera is very scratched up and it would be GREAT if it was just the coating that was scratched up.

My lens looked scratched just as described here.

Indeed it is only a coating!

I used a qtip and alcohol and rubbed vigorously.

Beware. The coating will smudge. I tested the camera with the smudged coating and the camera looked as if very hazy.

Then I rubbed the qtip with alcohol in circles with force. Be careful. The lens starts to move!

Hopefully it stays on. But as for the scratches. They are gone !

HTC M8

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
Are you talking about the "main" camera, or the front "selfie" camera??

My front camera had that coating on it that I rubbed off, but now my back camera is very scratched up and it would be GREAT if it was just the coating that was scratched up.

For me, the back main was the toughest to get the coating off. Believe me. Its there. You just have to rub pretty hard.

The downside to this though, is whatever solvent that you use, will get the adhesive on the lens pretty loose. The lens will start to move as you rub in circular motion . Be careful as to not get any liquid under it.

The duo camera was actually pretty easy.

HTC M8

Reactions: tele_jas

Holtzey

Jan 6, 2013
Cambridge
Good old toothpaste

Hey guys - I used a non-abrasive tooth paste in very small amounts with a q-tip. I noticed a black colour showing up on the q-tip as I rubbed the lens. All hazing was removed, no pressure or aggressive abrasives were used.

Good luck I hope it works for you(no need to use a credit card or drill or whatever in my experience.

tooth paste - Kiss My Face (all natural).

Cheers,

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
Hey guys - I used a non-abrasive tooth paste in very small amounts with a q-tip. I noticed a black colour showing up on the q-tip as I rubbed the lens. All hazing was removed, no pressure or aggressive abrasives were used.

Good luck I hope it works for you(no need to use a credit card or drill or whatever in my experience.

tooth paste - Kiss My Face (all natural).

Cheers,

Is the coating completely gone ?

I found that the outer most edge of the lens was the hardest to remove

HTC M8

tele_jas

Aug 18, 2006
Mount Vernon
For me, the back main was the toughest to get the coating off. Believe me. Its there. You just have to rub pretty hard.

The downside to this though, is whatever solvent that you use, will get the adhesive on the lens pretty loose. The lens will start to move as you rub in circular motion . Be careful as to not get any liquid under it.

The duo camera was actually pretty easy.

HTC M8

Thank you! I've been sick to my stomach worried about my lens being all scratched up and KNOWING I have babied this phone and have it in an Otterbox and know there's no way I could be scratching it that bad. I've even called around about getting that outside lens replaced and only one place does it and they were going to charge me $100...... So I got most of it rubbed off, not going to worry about all of it as long as my inside lens is free from gunk, I should be good!

Thanks again!

Reactions: Jooosty

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
Thank you! I've been sick to my stomach worried about my lens being all scratched up and KNOWING I have babied this phone and have it in an Otterbox and know there's no way I could be scratching it that bad. I've even called around about getting that outside lens replaced and only one place does it and they were going to charge me $100...... So I got most of it rubbed off, not going to worry about all of it as long as my inside lens is free from gunk, I should be good!

Thanks again!

Great. Pics look much better don't they ?

HTC M8

Holtzey

Jan 6, 2013
Cambridge
Is the coating completely gone ?

I found that the outer most edge of the lens was the hardest to remove

HTC M8

Yes, I managed to remove every bit of it from the lens. Minus the scratch I put into it while using a more aggressive method of removal...wish I had tried the tooth paste first. Don't make this mistake, nor do I recommend a whitening tooth paste either.

Cheers,

mgenova

Aug 4, 2010
Same problem here. Looks like a scratched camera lens. I was really bummed out because I take really good care of my new M8. I tried alcohol to no avail. The toothpaste trick worked great just as the other comments stated. Pictures are now crystal clear again. It did take a lot of rubbing. Approximately 5 solid minutes to get it all.:good:

duckstardeluxe

Jan 16, 2013
Copenhagen
I just realized that my M8 cameras (all 3) was scratched in the surface of the coating. With a polish for acryllic materials I managed to remove the coating and all the miniature surface scratches that had evolved even though I really take care of the phone all of the time.

Now the pictures looks good again. Coming home from a camping trip with my family I realize that all the pictures taken there are rubbish.

I've added a before and after pictures, that one should easily be able to see the difference.

Attachments

• IMAG2605.jpg
    IMAG2605.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 489
  • IMAG2653.jpg
    IMAG2653.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:

wendellc

Oct 10, 2009
Yes, my sons m8 had the same issue. We sent it to HTC and they replace the lens under warranty.. He was without a phone for about a week. The replacement lens have no issue with scratching now. We got the phone when it first released, I'm thinking the first batch had a low quality glass.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OGhoul

Apr 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
I discovered scratches in the oleophobic coating this morning and was rather bummed about it. Like everyone else, I've babied my phone and it's been in a Spigen Slim Armor or Ultra Hybrid the entire time. I suspect that having to partially put pressure on the lens to remove the Ultra Hybrid was the culprit.

I used a couple paper towels with moderate pressure, soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol, followed up with a microfiber.

As others have had same results with a qtip and toothpaste, I'd probably recommend going that route, as there's less pressing involved (which was scary).

Oddly enough, the front facing camera had the same issue, however rather than scratches, most of the coating was just flat out gone.

As for a lens protector, until someone makes a glass one, I'm not interested.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah it does. I cut out a lense cover from a tpu screen protector I had lying around.
    HTC Guaranteed Free Repair

I had this exact problem! Here is my story of how I received a free repair from HTC:

I emailed HTC’s USA President, Jason Mackenzie, directly with my complaint. (I did this over Memorial Day weekend.) I explained my past experience with the M7—which was excellent-- and suggested that the M8 is somehow defective.

Jason responded within hours and indicated that someone would contact me on Tuesday. On Tuesday, I was called on both my cell and work phone, and I received an email! When I got back with HTC, they offered to provide an overnight shipping label (both to and from HTC) and they also GUARANTEED that my phone would be repaired FREE OF CHARGE.

Jason Mackenzie’s email address is: jason_mackenzie@htc.com

***In full disclosure, I emailed Jason from my work email address—I am an attorney. Notwithstanding, I think all affected M8 customers should receive this same remedy—and probably a free case to compensate for going without your phone during the repair. Anyway, give it a shot!
    Lens fix...

They seem like scratches but really aren't.
    I thought the same thing as well...It is actually a coating that flakes off.
    What I did was spray a little bit of plastic cleaner on a microfiber cloth and rubbed vigorously and came out perfect as new.
    The cleaner can be found on Amazon...It is called Plexus and works wonders and is non abrasive.
    You guys need to read more carefully. There is a protective coating on the lens that must be removed to clean up your photo quality. Then cut a small piece of screen protector to cover it if you're worried.

Read back, use Google, most recommend rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk