Jun 15, 2011
Denver
My favorite is the do good have fun mount for 10 bucks on Amazon

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kendrik

Mar 9, 2006
Dallas, TX
S5 Galaxy and the Airdock - How does it work for you?

The airdock is amazing,can use it for my nexus 7 and for my s5 in both orientations,maybe not the cheapest one but hands down the most practical.
Love it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have an Airdock that I was using with my Nexus 5 and it was AMAZING. Worked like a champ and never felt like the phone was going to fall off. When I upgraded to my S5, I figured it would work just as well (considering they talk about it on the website) but I'm having no end of problems. I purchased the Qi coil from Airdock and a magnet sticker. I installed the coil and cut down the sticker so it would fit within the gasket on the inside of the back cover. The damn thing just won't stay on the dock, though. If I'm lucky, I get halfway through my drive home before it comes shooting off into my lap. So, what exactly did you do to get the S5 working well on the airdock? I'm pretty much willing to do anything to make it work at this point since it's so convenient...

GlocksRock

Mar 16, 2011
I just got the iottie xl and it's great, it's just what I was looking for. Sturdy, and simple plus the easy one handed operation is definitely a plus. I used to just set my phone in the cup holder, but since my S5 with it's case won't fit, I had to find something that would be simple and inexpensive, yet still be strong and easy to use, and this fits the bill perfectly.

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
I actually been looking for a mount (without charging capabilities) and came to a decision on this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C9QE45U

Certainly didn't want anything attached to my window, or even my dash.

It's pretty much universal and should be able to use in all vehicles. Works quite well in my Chevy Impala.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

pr1vate piles

Aug 19, 2010
Rotherham
Coming from the Galaxy S3 and had the genuine samsung mount. Now if anyone has seen the mount knows it has the usual side bits to grip the phone then some legs at bottom for extra support. Sadly with the battery flap on the S5, wouldn't work with this dock. So got cutter out, cut legs off and ended up with this. Seemed a shame to buy new mount as this one has worked fine for last couple years.

Not saying perfect, but does the job :)

cb1111

Jan 24, 2010
I have an Airdock that I was using with my Nexus 5 and it was AMAZING. Worked like a champ and never felt like the phone was going to fall off. When I upgraded to my S5, I figured it would work just as well (considering they talk about it on the website) but I'm having no end of problems. I purchased the Qi coil from Airdock and a magnet sticker. I installed the coil and cut down the sticker so it would fit within the gasket on the inside of the back cover. The damn thing just won't stay on the dock, though. If I'm lucky, I get halfway through my drive home before it comes shooting off into my lap. So, what exactly did you do to get the S5 working well on the airdock? I'm pretty much willing to do anything to make it work at this point since it's so convenient...

Uhhh, isn't the sticker supposed to go on the outside of the case? I'm confused. You trimmed the sticker and stuck it in the wrong spot and you're complaining that it doesn't work as intended?

My house key doesn't start my car either when I put it into the cigarette lighter socket. Is my house or my car to blame:rolleyes:?

shanky887614

Sep 16, 2011
Coming from the Galaxy S3 and had the genuine samsung mount. Now if anyone has seen the mount knows it has the usual side bits to grip the phone then some legs at bottom for extra support. Sadly with the battery flap on the S5, wouldn't work with this dock. So got cutter out, cut legs off and ended up with this. Seemed a shame to buy new mount as this one has worked fine for last couple years.

Not saying perfect, but does the job :)

silly put phone in upside down

it does a 360 in that case

Kendrik

Mar 9, 2006
Dallas, TX
Angry, much?

Uhhh, isn't the sticker supposed to go on the outside of the case? I'm confused. You trimmed the sticker and stuck it in the wrong spot and you're complaining that it doesn't work as intended?

My house key doesn't start my car either when I put it into the cigarette lighter socket. Is my house or my car to blame:rolleyes:?

The reason I put it on the inside of the inside of the case was to avoid how ugly that sticker looks on the outside. I was hoping that adding a bit of magnetic force would be enough to keep it in place. I wasn't complaining, either, but looking for assistance in making use of a device I absolutely adore with my new phone. Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion, though.

As an aside, I've recently added a Diztronic Case (made especially to fit the charger back on the S5) and since it's a Matte case, I still had issues getting it to stick to the Airdock effectively. I bit the bullet and placed the Airdock sticker on the outside of the case (it doesn't look as terrible since the diztronic case is all black) and it's working great. My plan is to try and "polish" the case, though, and see if I can't make it work without the sticker. I just prefer the clean look of the case, un-marred by a goofy sticker.

cb1111

Jan 24, 2010
The reason I put it on the inside of the inside of the case was to avoid how ugly that sticker looks on the outside. I was hoping that adding a bit of magnetic force would be enough to keep it in place. I wasn't complaining, either, but looking for assistance in making use of a device I absolutely adore with my new phone. Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion, though.

As an aside, I've recently added a Diztronic Case (made especially to fit the charger back on the S5) and since it's a Matte case, I still had issues getting it to stick to the Airdock effectively. I bit the bullet and placed the Airdock sticker on the outside of the case (it doesn't look as terrible since the diztronic case is all black) and it's working great. My plan is to try and "polish" the case, though, and see if I can't make it work without the sticker. I just prefer the clean look of the case, un-marred by a goofy sticker.

I figured as much but I've got to say that...

"but I'm having no end of problems.... The damn thing just won't stay on the dock, though. If I'm lucky, I get halfway through my drive home before it comes shooting off into my lap. So, what exactly did you do to get the S5 working well on the airdock? I'm pretty much willing to do anything to make it work at this point since it's so convenient..."

...sure sounds like a complaint.

Kendrik

Mar 9, 2006
Dallas, TX
I figured as much but I've got to say that...

"but I'm having no end of problems.... The damn thing just won't stay on the dock, though. If I'm lucky, I get halfway through my drive home before it comes shooting off into my lap. So, what exactly did you do to get the S5 working well on the airdock? I'm pretty much willing to do anything to make it work at this point since it's so convenient..."

...sure sounds like a complaint.

Some of my frustration may have come through a bit more strongly than intended, but perhaps next time don't immediately jump to defensive-sounding sarcasm.

FWIW, I actually emailed the developers about the issue and got the following reply:

The S5 is definitely a more tricky phone to get to stick to the Air Dock. The simple answer to give you is to put the magnetic sticker on the outside of your phone. Pretty much any device will stick in that configuration. That isn't always desirable for people though.
The textured back of the S5 is the main issue. The S4, with it's smooth back holds amazing.
There are a couple other things you can do to help your phone stick better. First, is to keep the face of the dock clean. As it picks up lint and small dust particles it sticks less. You can clean it with a damp cloth. Just wipe it clean and then let it air dry.
The other option you have is to get the Samsung wireless charging back cover. It has a little bit of metal in it, and the magnets of the Air Dock will pull on it a little bit more than the configuration you currently have.
The last option is to put our magnetic sticker on the back of the phone.

I've also noticed that their FAQ page has been updated to highlight the issues with the S5 sticking, something that wasn't there when I checked it out before trading in my Nexus 5 on an S5, so I'm probably not the only one who has highlighted this problem.

I forgot to mention that i initially ordered the after-market wireless charger and was using it on the standard case. I then followed the developer suggestion to clean the airdock and try the official charger cover. That worked well enough (much better than the aftermarket configuration) but I'm now trying to make the whole setup work with an aftermarket case, as well.

Last edited:

cb1111

Jan 24, 2010
Some of my frustration may have come through a bit more strongly than intended, but perhaps next time don't immediately jump to defensive-sounding sarcasm.

FWIW, I actually emailed the developers about the issue and got the following reply:

I've also noticed that their FAQ page has been updated to highlight the issues with the S5 sticking, something that wasn't there when I checked it out before trading in my Nexus 5 on an S5, so I'm probably not the only one who has highlighted this problem.

I forgot to mention that i initially ordered the after-market wireless charger and was using it on the standard case. I then followed the developer suggestion to clean the airdock and try the official charger cover. That worked well enough (much better than the aftermarket configuration) but I'm now trying to make the whole setup work with an aftermarket case, as well.
The developers seem very responsive. I emailed them last night to inquire if the ball on their holder is identical to Garmin's ball as I have a nice ProClip Garmin mount in my car. I expect a response later today.

The sticker may work on the inside of the aftermarket case - try taping it there with scotch tape to see if it will work.

cb1111

Jan 24, 2010
The developers seem very responsive. I emailed them last night to inquire if the ball on their holder is identical to Garmin's ball as I have a nice ProClip Garmin mount in my car. I expect a response later today.

The sticker may work on the inside of the aftermarket case - try taping it there with scotch tape to see if it will work.

I got a response as expected. The ball is identical in size to the Garmin ball.

dbrown2

Jan 15, 2008
WEST COLUMBIA
Just a quick note about the Airdock. I have one and find it OK.... When I got it the surface was not very sticky at all. I tried cleaning, but it did not improve. I am using it on my S5 with the OEM back and I am using the sticker on the back of the case to hold it place. Although If I try to swipe the screen or press a button it will fall off. But driving down the road it never falls off.

so.. it's just OK...

ledridge

Dec 13, 2006
The Steelie Mount has the best look when the phone is removed

This is, without a doubt, my favorite cell phone mount for any phone or tablet that does not use wireless charging. It hold strong and looks great when the phone is not there and is much classier than those giant black plastic clamps. The magnet on the back of the phone looks clean and does provide an extra grip point when holding the phone. It also works great with the desk stand and the little rubber ball stand for holding or siting on your desk.

The only problem I have it that now that I am using the wireless charging flip cover, there is not a place to put the magnet on the back of the phone that doesn't interfere with the charging.

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-STCK...=UTF8&qid=1414443799&sr=1-1&keywords=steelies

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-STTK...sim_cps_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BA4HSZ4293EAK9P5S8A

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-STHB...sim_cps_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EDMNYWETZQ53ST0H3QW

Top Liked Posts