[Q] sm-p905 Charging with non genuine charger

Search This thread

CrazyManR32

Jan 4, 2011
Gday All,
I realise that this topic has been mentioned in a few threads, but from what I could find, there is no definiteve fix.
Is there a way to disable this so that a non-genuine charger will work once the screen turns off, or if I was to root the device, is there then a way to do it.
Please dont flame me, I'm a total newb to android, and I dont mind admitting that.
Bit dissapointed that Samsung has sunk to this.

TIA!

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Not sure what issues you are having but I have been using a few different chargers without issue. Which exact charging method are you trying to use (cable type, charger type, charger rated output voltage and amperage)?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

ericbergan

Sep 22, 2007
Gday All,
I realise that this topic has been mentioned in a few threads, but from what I could find, there is no definiteve fix.
Is there a way to disable this so that a non-genuine charger will work once the screen turns off, or if I was to root the device, is there then a way to do it.
Please dont flame me, I'm a total newb to android, and I dont mind admitting that.
Bit dissapointed that Samsung has sunk to this.

TIA!

I was one of the ones having problems with it needing to have the screen on to charge. It was a problem with the charger (yes, it was marked as a high amperage charger), changed to a different one (Anker 40W 5 port) and it's working fine.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I was one of the ones having problems with it needing to have the screen on to charge. It was a problem with the charger (yes, it was marked as a high amperage charger), changed to a different one (Anker 40W 5 port) and it's working fine.

Huge second on the Anker. I love that charger by the way. With various devices I would get irritated with some refusing to charge on certain chargers (my BlackBerry Bold in particular). I've since switched to the Anker 5 port 40 Watt and no longer worry about which cable I'm reaching for. Every device gets the power it needs with no fuss.

CrazyManR32

Jan 4, 2011
Not sure what issues you are having but I have been using a few different chargers without issue. Which exact charging method are you trying to use (cable type, charger type, charger rated output voltage and amperage)?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Initially i was using a belkin 2 port, 2.1amp per port charger, which would start charging but stop once the screen was off.
The problem isn't that the charger is 3rd party.

The problem is that the device requires a 5.1V 2A charger or higher.

Anything lower than that is simply not powerful enough. You can find these specs in small lettering on the charger. Most cheap 3rd party launchers are 5V 1A.

This seems logical, but it does work when i use the genuine charger from my sgs3 which is a 5vdc 1a charger. Takes all night to charge, but charges non the less.

Thanks for the info mate, ill see if i can get hold of one of these in australia, that being said, it appears that these are also 5v rather then the 5.3?

This seems logical, but it does work when i use the genuine charger from my sgs3 which is a 5vdc 1a charger. Takes all night to charge, but charges non the less.

That's because the retention rate of the S3's charger is higher than that of a generic cheap 3rd party one. Where the S3 charger actually delivers 0.8-1A, the cheaper ones usually average around 0.5A.

This is why charging over a usb 2.0 port without any power boosts also (usually, there have been some exceptions) doesn't work.

I usually charge mine with my Note 3 or S5 charger, as the three are all the same charger.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The problem isn't that the charger is 3rd party.

The problem is that the device requires a 5.1V 2A charger or higher.

Anything lower than that is simply not powerful enough. You can find these specs in small lettering on the charger. Most cheap 3rd party launchers are 5V 1A.