[Q] Can't get into Fastboot

Search This thread

cecr

Mar 1, 2013
Ok, now we know that fastboot and adb can be troublesome on WIndows, but despite lots of reading, I;m a bit stumped as to what if anything is wrong with my WIN 7 setup.

ADB works fine, I can get into adb from a cmd window, enter commands and get the expected result.

"adb devices" returns the 16 digit serial number, a few spaces and "device"
"adb reboot" reboots as normal

I cannot get into fastboot from adb though. (I can use a factory cable to enter fastboot, no problem, and using the Quick Boot app, I can get into Fastboot no probs.

Once there,
"fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" returns -> product: Tate-PVT-08
"fastboot -i 0x1949 devices" returns -> 13EE000200000001 fastboot
"fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot" gets me out into normal mode.

All above leads me (correctly or not) to think that the drivers, system etc are ok and I'm doing something wrong.
eg
" adb reboot-bootloader" (as written in adb help) simply reboots the device as usual
as does
"adb reboot bootloader"
"adb reboot boot loader"

I've seen the various syntax here and elsewhere

It seems as if the command is read as far as "reboot" and everything after that is ignored. So, what am I doing wrong?

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
You're doing nothing wrong. I believe that command does not work in the later os versions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: cecr

cecr

Mar 1, 2013
You're doing nothing wrong. I believe that command does not work in the later os versions.

Oh bum. You know, I thought maybe the drivers were wrong, or my syntax wrong, but I never thought the OS would be wrong!! Lol

Does anyone know when this change was introduced and which was the last OS release that could be booted into fastboot via adb?

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
If you're rooted you could try the methods in the FAQ post. Otherwise, buy/build a fastboot cable. It makes everything much easier.

Q17: How can I access fastboot mode on 2nd generation Kindle Fires?
There are 3 methods currently used for accessing fastboot mode on the 2nd generation Kindle Fires. Depending on the model, one or more of these methods may not work.
For all devices, entering “reboot bootloader” in the shell as the root user should reboot the device into fastboot mode.
On HD models, entering a fastboot command that waits for a handshake from the device (i.e. <waiting for device>”) such as “fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product” and rebooting the device will usually enable fastboot mode when the device reboots.
On the KFHD7 and KF2, a factory cable can be used to access fastboot mode by plugging it into the device after it has been powered down.

Last edited:
Reactions: cecr

cecr

Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Red. The shell command works, but issuing a command that waits for a handshake then rebooting doesn't. I also tried the same command whilst the device was powered down, but in both cases it just booted normally.

Of course my factory cable also works, and I am rooted

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you're rooted you could try the methods in the FAQ post. Otherwise, buy/build a fastboot cable. It makes everything much easier.

Q17: How can I access fastboot mode on 2nd generation Kindle Fires?
    There are 3 methods currently used for accessing fastboot mode on the 2nd generation Kindle Fires. Depending on the model, one or more of these methods may not work.
    For all devices, entering “reboot bootloader” in the shell as the root user should reboot the device into fastboot mode.
    On HD models, entering a fastboot command that waits for a handshake from the device (i.e. <waiting for device>”) such as “fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product” and rebooting the device will usually enable fastboot mode when the device reboots.
    On the KFHD7 and KF2, a factory cable can be used to access fastboot mode by plugging it into the device after it has been powered down.