Fastboot for unbricking

Search This thread

dcoig1

Dec 23, 2013
I have an 8.9 lte hdx that needs unbricking and can't find a method that works. It was suggested to me in another thread that fastboot is confirmed working under ubuntu (linux). Is it correct that using fastboot will enable overwriting the system with a system update to refresh the device? I believe this will be what I need to get back up and working. Are all kindle fastboot cables the same and I can just order one from amazon? I have not found much on fastboot for this device and it is the first time I have ever had to use it.

Last edited:

S_transform

Oct 12, 2012
I have a 8.9 lte hdx that needs unbricking and can't find a method that works. It was suggested to me in another thread that fastboot is confirmed working under ubuntu (linux). Is it correct that using fastboot will enable overwriting the system with a system update to refresh the device? I believe this will be what I need to get back up and working. Are all kindle fastboot cables the same and I can just order one from amazon? I have not found much on fastboot for this device and it is the first time I have ever had to use it.

AFAIK you don't need a fastboot cable, just a regular usb cable. Also while you should be able to flash a stock signed bin file from amazon, I don't think anyone has tried it yet.

S_transform

Oct 12, 2012
Is flashing an amazon .bin any different than doing a factory reset?

a factory reset wipes data and cache (not positive on cache), while flashing an amazon .bin would fix a soft-brick cause by say editing your build.prop improperly (most likely). You are essentially re-flashing every partition on the device with the amazon .bin, while a factory reset simply wipes the data partition and not much else afaik. Some clarification by someone more knowledgeable than me would be good, but that is how I've always understood it.

droiduzr2

Jan 26, 2011
Please let us know how it goes.
My 8.9 hdx is also soft bricked.

I did a reset in safe strap to format data cache and SYSTEM but now when I reboot it sits at the white KINDLE FIRE screen.

I CAN get to the stock recovery screen by holding the volume + and power...or press power then hold vol +. All that does it let me reset the device but I guess since I formatted the system partition there is nothing for it to boot into.

I can't seem to get fastboot to work. I can't get into fastboot.
I am using win7 but the device shows up as MPT device with a yellow!
I did try linux Mint17 and it shows up as a google device. I tried adb devices but it listed nothing.

Please let me know what you do to fix yours.
There has to be a way to reflash this this thing:good:

nymica

Please let us know how it goes.
My 8.9 hdx is also soft bricked.

I did a reset in safe strap to format data cache and SYSTEM but now when I reboot it sits at the white KINDLE FIRE screen.

I CAN get to the stock recovery screen by holding the volume + and power...or press power then hold vol +. All that does it let me reset the device but I guess since I formatted the system partition there is nothing for it to boot into.

I can't seem to get fastboot to work. I can't get into fastboot.
I am using win7 but the device shows up as MPT device with a yellow!
I did try linux Mint17 and it shows up as a google device. I tried adb devices but it listed nothing.

Please let me know what you do to fix yours.
There has to be a way to reflash this this thing:good:

Fastboot is a little different than adb, I'd check out this thread it'll at least get you started http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2799793

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk