Help! Boot loop

Search This thread

mikebolton

Jun 1, 2014
Hi, I have a fully stock nexus 7 1st gen which is stuck on a boot loop, I am able to get it into fast boot mode where I've tried the wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition but it just freezes. I've searched around for solutions I've even tried flashing the stock images with wugfresh toolkit with no luck, most fixes it seems need the debugging enabled on the device which I can't do because I can't get into the menu. If anyone can help me it would be fantastic

timmytim

Jan 6, 2011
Phoenix
Hi, I have a fully stock nexus 7 1st gen which is stuck on a boot loop, I am able to get it into fast boot mode where I've tried the wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition but it just freezes. I've searched around for solutions I've even tried flashing the stock images with wugfresh toolkit with no luck, most fixes it seems need the debugging enabled on the device which I can't do because I can't get into the menu. If anyone can help me it would be fantastic

Hey Mike, it sounds like you have no other option than to restore back to factory using the official Google Factory Images. That will completely wipe your N7, SDCard and all :eek:

Go ahead and download the nakasi image of your choice from Google: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasi... make sure that you don't accidentally get the nakasig firmware as it is for the Tilapia 3G model.

Extract it with 7-zip or WinRar (or whatever) and with your tablet plugged in and in Fastboot Mode, (you will also need the fastboot/ADB drivers installed) run the flash-all.bat batch file. (You may need to enable the Windows function "Show File Extensions" to see the .bat part after the file name. There is also a flash-all.sh in the folder as well but that one is for Linux users so you wont be able to use it unless you're on Linux.

Good Luck! :good:

mikebolton

Jun 1, 2014
Hi Tim, Thanks for replying,

I'm not too worried about losing data I'm just desperate to get it working again.
I have downloaded the flash image but where would I find the download for the fast boot drivers?

timmytim

Jan 6, 2011
Phoenix
Hi Tim, Thanks for replying,

I'm not too worried about losing data I'm just desperate to get it working again.
I have downloaded the flash image but where would I find the download for the fast boot drivers?

They should be included in the Wugfresh Toolkit that you downloaded. Just follow the steps to install the device drivers and I believe that the Fastboot drivers installs with it.

tommyleinen

Apr 27, 2011
How weird, I am fixing my Dad's tonight, exact same issue! Have had it a week or so but just found time to do it now... I will do with you if you like. I already downloaded the wugfresh NRT and worked through the steps, obviously missing out the debug mode parts. Currently downloading the nakasi kot49h which is taking a while, so came on here to see what to do if this fails and saw your post!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

If you download the nexus root kit v1.8.2 from www.wugfresh.com follow the steps on there to uninstall various drivers, then click the initial setup - full driver installation to get the correct driver for your device.

mikebolton

Jun 1, 2014
In the wug toolkit when installing drivers step by step guide to configure MTP drivers you need to disable USB debugging then disable MTP mode then re enable debugging all of which I can't do because I can't get into the menu to do anything

mikebolton

Jun 1, 2014
Hi Tom,
I can't seem to figure it out ive tried the wug toolkit a number of time with no results it seems most fixes need you to be able to enable debugging, if you find out how to do it let me know and if I by some miracle get it working I'll let you know

mikebolton

Jun 1, 2014
I have just run the flash stock and unroot option on wugfresh in the log everything has been erased but when it has tried to send bootloader is says failed<remote: bootloader is locked.>

tommyleinen

Apr 27, 2011
Yes, you are up to where I got to. I fixed mine last night eventually. Next I tried a risky extra step which I won't tell as I don't think it did anything, then directly on the left of Flash and unroot there is a button to unlock bootloader. Run that, it gave me an error message but appeared to do the trick because the next time I ran flash + unroot it worked finally. Let us know how you get on!

mikebolton

Jun 1, 2014
No it still isn't working everything I try doesn't work it all comes down to the locked bootloader and no matter what I do I can't find a solution to open it

Has anyone come across the same problem and found a solution?

gotbeer

Nov 14, 2010
No it still isn't working everything I try doesn't work it all comes down to the locked bootloader and no matter what I do I can't find a solution to open it

Has anyone come across the same problem and found a solution?

Open a command prompt in the folder with Fastboot. Type in "fastboot oem unlock" without quotes. That will unlock the bootloader and also you to flash factory image.

mikebolton

Jun 1, 2014
Doesn't work I've tried it before it just comes up with unlock bootloader screen where you have a choice yes (may void warranty) or no I click yes then I am directed back to fastboot mode with a message at the top left corner saying unlocking now....... but nothing ever happens, I restart device and I'm back to where I started.

Someone must know how to fix this

Last edited: