Would the G2 be a worthwhile upgrade from a BL locked Note 2?

Search This thread

mbarry55

Mar 10, 2010
Hollidaysburg, PA
OnePlus 8
So this weekend at least, the G2 is showing up as free for 2 yr upgrades, and I have a spare upgrade on my account I can use. I currently have a bootloader locked Note 2, running safestrap recovery, using a custom TouchWiz ROM. (no AOSP unfortunately for safestrap on the n2 :( )

I am wondering what the G2 community thinks about upgrading to this phone from a Note 2. Camera wise the G2 looks far better. The screen and battery are only slightly smaller, so I don't feel that is an issue, but how is it, nuts and bolts wise? Signal, reliability, etc. I see some GPS issues which may be of concern, and I am slightly unsure of the bootloader issue. I would prefer to unlock, root, and install what I please, and I *think* what I found is that you can push an older, unlocked bootloader to the latest update? Is that correct?

Anything else you can tell me that may help?

Thanks in advance

WeThePeople13

Jan 5, 2012
I came from a BL unlocked N2 and personally I love my G2. I had no issues rooting or unlocking the BL and I was running 24A. I would hands down go with the G2 if you are looking to upgrade but if you could wait and spend 200 then I would go with the G3 that troops in 2 weeks. Just my opinion.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mbarry55

njstein

Jan 25, 2013
Boise
No I have no interest in spending $200. I like spending free. :)

Am I correct that the bootloader on the G2 is easily unlocked still? Is 24A the latest update then?

Bootloader can't be unlocked but the devs have found a work around that allows you to flash away!

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

njstein

Jan 25, 2013
Boise
Is that the KitKat 24A freedom tool from MicroMod? I want to be sure what I am getting into here before I pull the trigger :)

The Freedom Tool is to get a custom recovery in this bad boy. I know one can use autorec to get a recovery, but I've read good and bad about it. I used Freedom for the recovery and ioroot25 to root.
Here's what I understand about flashing: if you're already running 24A from the official ota, then root/recovery, you can flash away (as long as the ROM is based on 24A, some are not). If you root on a 12B or 11A (I think) then you have to go and flash another zip prior to a ROM to get the 24A baseband.
I haven't flashed a custom rom so don't know about how they run. 2 reasons:
1) I feel LG did a great job with stock and with xposed, can do almost anything that a custom offers.
2) There are instances of screens being jacked up after a flash. Read through the development section and there's a dedicated thread that reports the issue. I realize warranty will cover a replacement but I'm too lazy to deal with that hassle.

mbarry55

Mar 10, 2010
Hollidaysburg, PA
OnePlus 8
Well I did order one, so ill give it a go. Ill definitely check into the screen issue as that is a bit concerning. As long as I have root and recovery I'll be good. Seems odd that flashing a ROM would have an effect on the screen but well see. Thanks for the info

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

kude87

Jan 2, 2013
Denver, CO
Came from a note 2 as well. G2 is much better. Honestly the note 2 was annoyingly bulky. Camera is better on the g2, signal is similar, screen resolution is MUCH better, it doesn't lag like TW. Good upgrade. :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G

Guest.

Jul 3, 2014
So this weekend at least, the G2 is showing up as free for 2 yr upgrades, and I have a spare upgrade on my account I can use. I currently have a bootloader locked Note 2, running safestrap recovery, using a custom TouchWiz ROM. (no AOSP unfortunately for safestrap on the n2 :( )

I am wondering what the G2 community thinks about upgrading to this phone from a Note 2. Camera wise the G2 looks far better. The screen and battery are only slightly smaller, so I don't feel that is an issue, but how is it, nuts and bolts wise? Signal, reliability, etc. I see some GPS issues which may be of concern, and I am slightly unsure of the bootloader issue. I would prefer to unlock, root, and install what I please, and I *think* what I found is that you can push an older, unlocked bootloader to the latest update? Is that correct?

Anything else you can tell me that may help?

Thanks in advance

Wait then get the G3 for $99 and free G Pad tablet.......

njstein

Jan 25, 2013
Boise
Got my g2 yesterday. So far so good. In surprised how much quicker it feels than the note2.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Ya, the g2 has excellent specs and power. I was shocked at the smoothness and the ability to handle multiple tasks and apps! Have you root/recovery yet?

pcwizkid1994

Nov 16, 2012
Milton
Just got mine off craigslist yesterday and am loveing the power and screen on this phone. Just got finished rooting and installing recovery. Time to start experiment ing!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is that the KitKat 24A freedom tool from MicroMod? I want to be sure what I am getting into here before I pull the trigger :)

The Freedom Tool is to get a custom recovery in this bad boy. I know one can use autorec to get a recovery, but I've read good and bad about it. I used Freedom for the recovery and ioroot25 to root.
    Here's what I understand about flashing: if you're already running 24A from the official ota, then root/recovery, you can flash away (as long as the ROM is based on 24A, some are not). If you root on a 12B or 11A (I think) then you have to go and flash another zip prior to a ROM to get the 24A baseband.
    I haven't flashed a custom rom so don't know about how they run. 2 reasons:
    1) I feel LG did a great job with stock and with xposed, can do almost anything that a custom offers.
    2) There are instances of screens being jacked up after a flash. Read through the development section and there's a dedicated thread that reports the issue. I realize warranty will cover a replacement but I'm too lazy to deal with that hassle.

I came from a BL unlocked N2 and personally I love my G2. I had no issues rooting or unlocking the BL and I was running 24A. I would hands down go with the G2 if you are looking to upgrade but if you could wait and spend 200 then I would go with the G3 that troops in 2 weeks. Just my opinion.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2
    No I have no interest in spending $200. I like spending free. :)

Am I correct that the bootloader on the G2 is easily unlocked still? Is 24A the latest update then?

Bootloader can't be unlocked but the devs have found a work around that allows you to flash away!

I just came from a locked note 2 as well. I just got a g2. I also have the task to replace the digitizer as well though.. I wonder if it's easy enough.
    Came from a note 2 as well. G2 is much better. Honestly the note 2 was annoyingly bulky. Camera is better on the g2, signal is similar, screen resolution is MUCH better, it doesn't lag like TW. Good upgrade. :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G