FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

EZCast aka Miracast dongle vs Chromecast (discussion, similarities and differences)

356 posts
Thanks Meter: 263

By mathorv, Senior Member on 1st February 2014, 01:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th July 2014, 01:35 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 86

More
My DV8P is Windows 8.1

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3

4th July 2014, 01:56 AM |#52  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,025

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by recDNA

My DV8P is Windows 8.1

Oh, geez, LOL! Sorry, I had my head stuck in Android...

Okay... In that case, yeah, it's not going to work well for Chromecast simply because you'd have to use Chrome Tab or Desktop casting and that will chew up your CPU time, causing much lag and a very unpleasant viewing experience.

I strongly suspect the same will hold for EZcast, because in both cases what's happening is...
  1. Compressed video arrives from Internet
  2. CPU decompresses video, possibly with some hardware assistance, to put on screen
  3. CPU compresses screen image to Chromecast or Miracast-friendly compression
  4. Recompressed video goes to Chromecast/Miracast device
  5. Chromecast/Miracast device decompresses video to put on screen

It's a lot of CPU burden to both be decompressing the video for local-screen playback and recompress that video to send to Chromecast/Miracast. Chrome desktop/tab mirroring is currently limited to 720p because it's not optimized much (if at all).

If all the apps supported Chromecast, life would be much nicer. For example, HBO GO does support Chromecast (even in Windows Chrome), so what happens is essentially the same as what happens when you watch just on your tablet.
  2. CPU decompresses video, possibly with some hardware assistance, to put on screen
Boom, done. No extra steps, no extra load on your DV8P.

Unfortunately XfinityTV doesn't seem to work with Chromecast on Windows (or on Android, for that matter ), so unless you can find the shows you want on Chromecast-supporting sites, you might be stuck in the top scenario...
Normally I would recommend a wireless HDMI dongle or even a USB DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter, but it looks like your Venue 8 does not have a HDMI port, and its USB port is not a host (ie, it doesn't support devices, only being plugged into a computer for data transfer).

The larger Venue 11 Pro, has a mini HDMI at least, so it could either go wired to a TV or via a wireless HDMI device.
4th July 2014, 02:02 AM |#53  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Oh, geez, LOL! Sorry, I had my head stuck in Android...

Okay... In that case, yeah, it's not going to work well for Chromecast simply because you'd have to use Chrome Tab or Desktop casting and that will chew up your CPU time, causing much lag and a very unpleasant viewing experience.

I strongly suspect the same will hold for EZcast, because in both cases what's happening is...

3. CPU compresses screen image to Chromecast or Miracast-friendly compression
  4. Recompressed video goes to Chromecast/Miracast device
  5. Chromecast/Miracast device decompresses video to put on screen

It's a lot of CPU burden to both be decompressing the video for local-screen playback and recompress that video to send to Chromecast/Miracast. Chrome desktop/tab mirroring is currently limited to 720p because it's not optimized much (if at all).

If all the apps supported Chromecast, life would be much nicer. For example, HBO GO does support Chromecast (even in Windows Chrome), so what happens is essentially the same as what happens when you watch just on your tablet.
Boom, done. No extra steps, no extra load on your DV8P.

Unfortunately XfinityTV doesn't seem to work with Chromecast on Windows (or on Android, for that matter ), so unless you can find the shows you want on Chromecast-supporting sites, you might be stuck in the top scenario...
Normally I would recommend a wireless HDMI dongle or even a USB DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter, but it looks like your Venue 8 does not have a HDMI port, and its USB port is not a host (ie, it doesn't support devices, only being plugged into a computer for data transfer).

The larger Venue 11 Pro, has a mini HDMI at least, so it could either go wired to a TV or via a wireless HDMI device.

It does support usb on the go so I do use flashbdrive with a usb on the go cable. Pluggable makes a vga/dvi converter that they claim works. The main problem is I might need a powered usb hub because the micro usb provides very little. Power. There are hdmi converters too but I don't want to have to put the dv8p next tonthe tv to plug it in. A wireless solution would be best.

4th July 2014, 02:20 AM |#54  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It does support usb on the go so I do use flashbdrive with a usb on the go cable. Pluggable makes a vga/dvi converter that they claim works. The main problem is I might need a powered usb hub because the micro usb provides very little. Power. There are hdmi converters too but I don't want to have to put the dv8p next tonthe tv to plug it in. A wireless solution would be best.

If there's a HDMI output that works, you could do that and feed a wireless HDMI adapter with that.
The DVI/VGA could work too, but the problem is you have no sound, so you'd also have to run an audio cable to your TV.

Trouble is, the wireless HDMI adapter alone is $150+
That much money might be better put toward a laptop or headless PC like an Intel NUC to drive the TV directly, HTPC style.

My current HTPC is an Atom D525 and it's iffy with 1080p streaming Flash playback. Your Z3740D should fare much better, but as your native screen resolution is 1280x800, not sure what resolution the HDMI adapter will put out.
4th July 2014, 02:42 AM |#55  

More
I have a great ultrabook that came with its own adapters. I just wanted to be able to use the dv8p too

4th July 2014, 02:48 AM |#56  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I don't know if I misunderstood or not.. I am trying to figure out what to buy between the EZCast M2 and the Tronsmart T1000 for miracasting the contents of my Note 3 onto my Vizio HDTV. The files are in mkv format which are totally playable in VLC Player, and I currently use an MHL to HDMI adapter to play on my TV with no lag. I just want to know which of the two dongles are better with the Note 3 so I can make my final decision to buy them online. I am just tired of having the cable dangle from my TV and prefer to have my phone wirelessly mirror the files... Please let me know if that makes sense. Thanks again for your help!

Quote:

No, these cannot be played in any way except directly through xfinity player in the internet. I believ they use flash player. They are not on my device. That is why I keep saying I need to mirror my dv8p

4th July 2014, 06:52 AM |#57  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopicante123

I don't know if I misunderstood or not.. I am trying to figure out what to buy between the EZCast M2 and the Tronsmart T1000 for miracasting the contents of my Note 3 onto my Vizio HDTV. The files are in mkv format which are totally playable in VLC Player, and I currently use an MHL to HDMI adapter to play on my TV with no lag. I just want to know which of the two dongles are better with the Note 3 so I can make my final decision to buy them online. I am just tired of having the cable dangle from my TV and prefer to have my phone wirelessly mirror the files... Please let me know if that makes sense. Thanks again for your help!

Chromecast won't natively play MKVs, and even if it did it still depends what compression is being used within the MKV.

If it's a Galaxy Note 3, the best solution would be the Samsung AllShare Cast Wireless Hub as it'll use the native AllShare Cast functionality and give you exactly what you're getting now from your MHL adapter - except wirelessly. I see them online for just a tad more than Chromecast.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
8th July 2014, 08:51 PM |#58  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Note 3 Miracast Dongle - Best Option?
Hey I appreciate all the comments! I am narrowing my choices to the Tronsmart T1000 or the EZCast miracast dongles... I own the Note 3 and just want to know which one offers the least lag while streaming movies from my phone via mirror mode to my Vizio HDTV. I appreciate any help you guys can provide me.
12th July 2014, 01:59 PM |#59  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Mirroring mode ezcast/xiaomi mi3
Hi i buy an ezcast dongle and it runs perfect with my Xiaomi mi3 but i cannot use mirroring mode, any program or idea to do this?? Thanks in advance.

Solved i dont know if its x the last actualization of zcast or i tried with wlan display and connects it in mirror mode plays good
12th July 2014, 09:57 PM |#60  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Not to add confusion but now that r3pwn's put out the experimental MirrorEnabler, Android Screen Mirroring on Chromecast may be an option for some. Works great on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 on rooted 4.4.2
Check the officially supported devices first, of course, in case you don't even need MirrorEnabler.
Performance is quite good and IMO if works better for streaming Internet content than AllShare Cast (I recently got an AllShare Wireless Hub).
17th July 2014, 05:08 AM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by styndall

I have the Tronsmart T1000 and have been using it for a couple of months to stream from both Android and Windows.

I have used both Miracast with Android and also using the devices built in WiFi network to stream from Android and Windows. Miracast is a little laggy and buggy but typically works fine. Sometimes with larger video files there is a .5 second sync issue with audio and video but it is not present at all times.

The Tronsmart (and devices like it) really do fill a gap that the CC doesn't. If anyone has any questions about the Tronsmart T1000 let me know!

Dose Tronsmart T1000 have the EZAir (Airplay) mirror function? Some sites list that this function is "under develop". Just want to confirm. Thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, ezcast, miracast

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)