Official KitKat for Canadian GS3 variants out now?

Search This thread
Jun 4, 2012
Just fyi, Fido, Rogers and "Unknown" had a new KK build posted this morning at http://sammobile.com/firmwares

Firmware version NF2.
Still 4.4.2 so its probably a minor bug fix or networking improvements or something like that. Just a guess.

It seems to be a kernel update that stops TowelRoot from working.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2787466&page=5

(this is bad for us, but it's good for the average user because the TowelRoot exploit can be used for malicious purposes)

Tornade69

Nov 4, 2011
Montreal Northshore
I'm on FNE6 with Fido and notice that i can't use the mobile data (4G) while on a phone call now! Also when i'm not in a LTE Area and the phone switch to 4G, i don't have data for a couple minutes... briefly 4G not running good on this new baseband/bootloader... Anyone else ???

SkyboneNoya

Jan 21, 2012
I'm on FNE6 with Fido and notice that i can't use the mobile data (4G) while on a phone call now! Also when i'm not in a LTE Area and the phone switch to 4G, i don't have data for a couple minutes... briefly 4G not running good on this new baseband/bootloader... Anyone else ???

I've noticed that since I started using modified roms from 4.1.1/2 right up to the latest. I think it's a modem thing. Calls go through 3g or something. Could be a battery saver feat or something. I'm not 100% sure but who really uses the net and takes calls at the same time?

That's like talking face to face while your friend sits on their phone. lol RUDE!

1banana2

Jul 9, 2014
The second post above you just said that cf autoroot works on 4.4.2 (2nd update)

Oh, thanks for pointing that out.

Just getting back into the rooting scene and didn't think NF2 4.4.2 was reference to the latest update.

I was on NE6 4.4.2 and following attemps to root with cf auto root then towelroot, my phone became buggy.

Plugged my phone into kies and updated to NF2 seems to have fixed the issues....

Great to know that someone has succesfully rooted NF2 with cf auto root.

R5R

Oct 25, 2010
Montreal
Oh, thanks for pointing that out.

Just getting back into the rooting scene and didn't think NF2 4.4.2 was reference to the latest update.

I was on NE6 4.4.2 and following attemps to root with cf auto root then towelroot, my phone became buggy.

Plugged my phone into kies and updated to NF2 seems to have fixed the issues....

Great to know that someone has succesfully rooted NF2 with cf auto root.

You'll have to install an updated superuser and then quickly disable knox by opening the freshing installed superuser app and saying yes to disabling knox when it asks, I had to repeat the process twice before it finally worked. Then after i used root explorer to delete the old superuser.apk from the system/app folder and copy pasted the new one in, this stopped the super user force closes that poped up after a reboot. After that it works great for me.

As I pointed out before do this at your own risk...

Reactions: 1banana2

1banana2

Jul 9, 2014
You'll have to install an updated superuser and then quickly disable knox by opening the freshing installed superuser app and saying yes to disabling knox when it asks, I had to repeat the process twice before it finally worked. Then after i used root explorer to delete the old superuser.apk from the system/app folder and copy pasted the new one in, this stopped the super user force closes that poped up after a reboot. After that it works great for me.

As I pointed out before do this at your own risk...

Thanks for the information. Definitely at my own risk.

Just to be clear, you're on NF2 and you used the latest Cf-auto root? Which version of Odin and superuser?

maxoooo

Sep 26, 2011
After update there no gps fix, just searching for satelites and nothing. I did manual for gps dummies but problem is stil here.
What to do?:(

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I dont know where it is here, but in T-Mobile forums, Q&A sticky rollup thread, there is a link to GPS fix using the nv rebuild option. Try that. Also gps test by chartcross usually helps for me too.

Reactions: maxoooo

maxoooo

Sep 26, 2011
ChanKaiShi (his post many tnx to him!)
Solution posted in XDA (thanks to superm1) seems to be working for far for me.
Here is what you need to do.*

1. Dial *#197328640# on a phone
2. Go to MainMenu/UMTS/Common/NV rebuild/NV Rebuild
3. Wait on that page for 30s
4. Long press Power key choose to restart

Working like charm! 20 satelites for 3s! B|

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHoliday77

CdnSurfer

Jul 13, 2014
Hi I have a Sasktel 1747M S3 with KitKat 4.4.2. on it. I have loaded the download screen and it says nothing to do with Knox in the top left corner. I also checked under security and administrators and Knox was not listed there either. My question is, can I downgrade to 4.1.1 in order to unlock my phone?

Thank you. If you need anymore info, please drop me a line.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts