[GUIDE] Installing a Custom Recovery and Rooting the Developer Edition Galaxy S5

Search This thread

McAtom

May 7, 2014
Is there anyway this can work on a Verizon SM-G900V? I rooted with Towelroot and it worked but I cannot install a custom recovery because of this:

<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> FAIL! (Auth)

Help? :eek:

That's odin refusing to flash tars that aren't Samsung-signed to non-unlocked phones. Unfortunately without an unlocked bootloader this method won't work.

Look into the safestrap method, achieves the same basic thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Cookster2.1

rjack2

Mar 20, 2009
Had to Use Philz Touch Recovery CWM

Folks,

1. I had to use Odin 1.85 and Philz Touch Recovery (philz_touch_6.26.2-klte.tar) to root my device.
  2. I could not get Odin 3.x and TWRP to flash my device. I followed the instructions otherwise and they worked great.
  3. I installed Chainfire SuperSU from the Playstore.
  4. I installed the Xposed framework and the Xtether module
  5. I'm good.

Installing a Custom Recovery and Rooting the Verizon Developer Edition Galaxy S5​

This only applies to the Verizon Developer Edition Galaxy S5, NOT the regular Retail Verizon Galaxy S5.
Given that is a Developer Edition device I would assume a basic understanding of Android, adb and other tools needed.

Let’s install a custom recovery (in our case TRWP), then install Root (in our case SuperSU), then make sure we do a backup of the whole device, just in case.

Onjarf

Oct 14, 2013
Installing a Custom Recovery and Rooting the Verizon Developer Edition Galaxy S5​

This only applies to the Verizon Developer Edition Galaxy S5, NOT the regular Retail Verizon Galaxy S5.
Given that is a Developer Edition device I would assume a basic understanding of Android, adb and other tools needed.

Let’s install a custom recovery (in our case TRWP), then install Root (in our case SuperSU), then make sure we do a backup of the whole device, just in case.

1. Install Samsung USB drivers. (They are on the “CD-ROM” that mounts when you plug in the phone in the computer, or can be found here).
  2. Turn off "Reactivation Lock" in Settings > General > Security
  3. Download Odin 3.07 here.
  4. Download the .tar version of TWRP from here.
  5. Download the .zip file for the SuperSU install from here and copy it somewhere on your phone.
  6. Select Odin, click the right button and select “Run as Administrator” (Just to be on the safe side).
  7. Power Off the Phone and reboot in Download Mode (hold the menu button and volume down buttons then press the power button until the device reboots).
  8. Make sure the phone is detected, then click the PDA button, select the .tar file downloaded on Step 4. Make sure that only “Auto reboot” and “F. Reset Time” are selected. Click the “Start” button. The Phone should reboot once finished.
  9. Power Off the Phone and reboot in Recovery Mode (hold the menu button and volume up buttons then press the power button until the device reboots).
  10. Install the SuperSU .zip file from step 5.
  11. Now it is also a good time to make full backup of the phone from TWRP. Reboot when done.
  12. ?
  13. Profit

Once Rooted you can use Xposed installer, AdAway, Root explorer and Titanium Backup to clean up personalize your phone (See next post).
Hi! Can You make one digital clock widget for android, I will send you a pictures?
Regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Install Samsung USB drivers. (They are on the “CD-ROM” that mounts when you plug in the phone in the computer, or can be found here).
    2. Turn off "Reactivation Lock" in Settings > General > Security
    3. Download Odin 3.07 here.
    4. Download the .tar version of TWRP from here.
    5. Download the .zip file for the SuperSU install from here and copy it somewhere on your phone.
    6. Select Odin, click the right button and select “Run as Administrator” (Just to be on the safe side).
    7. Power Off the Phone and reboot in Download Mode (hold the menu button and volume down buttons then press the power button until the device reboots).
    8. Make sure the phone is detected, then click the PDA button, select the .tar file downloaded on Step 4. Make sure that only “Auto reboot” and “F. Reset Time” are selected. Click the “Start” button. The Phone should reboot once finished.
    9. Power Off the Phone and reboot in Recovery Mode (hold the menu button and volume up buttons then press the power button until the device reboots).
    10. Install the SuperSU .zip file from step 5.
    11. Now it is also a good time to make full backup of the phone from TWRP. Reboot when done.
    12. ?
    13. Profit

Once Rooted you can use Xposed installer, AdAway, Root explorer and Titanium Backup to clean up personalize your phone (See next post).
    Customization with Xposed installer, AdAway, Root explorer and Titanium Backup.

picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php

• Data Icons from the Xposed module "Samsung Data Connection Icon Fix"
    • Color Changes and Reboot menu from "Wanam Xposed".
    • I got the Native hotspot working great using the Xposed Framework, then download X Tether in the Xposed app, and works perfectly. You can also add the hotspot toggle to the quick settings
    • If you are a Beautiful Widgets user, I have made a Galaxy S5 Lockscreen clock (Look for "Galaxy S5 Lockscreen" by timetoy; You'll have to set the background to Transparent; There is a bug with the dots, this is as big as they get)
      galaxy-s5-lockscreen.jpg

• Here are some Recovery-installable recoveries (oh so meta...)
      Philz touch 6.41.6
      TWRP 2.7.0.0
      TWRP 2.7.1.0

• Know issues:
      Here how to get S Health and Xposed to work together: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52213118&postcount=26
    No one under the verizon Samsung galaxy s5 subforum has a Verizon Samsung galaxy s5 developer edition phone..........

Why are the admins allowing this to continue?

Because you are wrong. The Verizon s5 and verizon dev s5 are the same forum. You'd know that if you read the other threads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Updated TWRP 2.7.1.0 (you can flash in recovery)
    TWRP 2.7.1.0

What's new in 2.7.1.0:

• Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    • Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    • Improvements to USB storage handling
    • Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    • Various other bugfixes and tweaks
    Thanks I was hoping for a guide just like this. My DevS5 comes in Monday, I guess by next day delivery they mean the next 5th day delivery, but I'm going to test out some mods for other carriers S5's, and hopefully we can get a nice list of working mods going.