for those of you that believe you received a defective device

Search This thread

hstaab

Dec 17, 2012
There has to be something wrong with this phone. I had the 4g lte and it would hold LTE the whole way to work on my train commute. The htc one m8 barely holds a 1x connection on the train. Also I've noticed not having access to data during phone call...

Same experience coming from the M7. My wife has my old device and she always has LTE (and none of the Spark issues) while my phone barely works with 3G.

Sent from my Viperized M8

elrey75

Jan 3, 2009
My device became none responsive one morning. I went to charge it and it wouldn't respond. I tried to turn it on while plugged in, nothing. Had to order one with a Sprint tech when they couldn't bring it back to life. No drop, no water damage.

hstaab

Dec 17, 2012
My device became none responsive one morning. I went to charge it and it wouldn't respond. I tried to turn it on while plugged in, nothing. Had to order one with a Sprint tech when they couldn't bring it back to life. No drop, no water damage.

Did you try holding volume up and power? Apparently this is like a battery pull. Just throwing it out there since it was new to me and solved an issue like yours.

ChunkyPastaSauce

Jul 17, 2012
Did you try holding volume up and power? Apparently this is like a battery pull. Just throwing it out there since it was new to me and solved an issue like yours.

Had the same issue described and this method worked. Sprint "tech" said I needed a new (remanufactured) phone under tep ($200) and would have to buy a data phone until the replacement one arrived (additional $250). Checked the forums and tried this method, booted right up. So far they have misdiagnosed twice (previous phone). Probably cancel ing tep....

Jamiemcquillan

Dec 23, 2010
HTM8

Mine stopped working after 3 days. I was on the phone with Sprint for several hours. The next morning I took the phone back and told the guy at the Sprint store that customer service told me they did all they could and the problem was with the phone. They replaced it with a brand new unit. The customer support people on the phone didn't have a clue. After a few hours I told them I would have to call them back. The guy at the store never checked to see if I called. Guess I'm the lucky one.:good:

Even though sprint is not better business bureau accredited, I have filed a complaint with the BBB against sprint regarding the fact that they have knowledgeably put defective devices in the hands of consumers, and are not making a quick effort to remedy the situation, I have also stated that sprint wants to replace the devices with refurbished devices, which are valued at a lesser value then a brand new device, and still charge customers for the full price of the brand new device. I have also pointed out that they are stringing customers through the 14 day exchange period claiming it is the network, and then on the 15th day saying it is the device, and making it very difficult to exchange the devices. any way I am encouraging any one who has had issues with their device to file a complaint with the bbb against sprint, as sprint does respond to their complaints on there

dmedina2011

May 28, 2012
Garden grove , Ca
Htc one m8

Even though sprint is not better business bureau accredited, I have filed a complaint with the BBB against sprint regarding the fact that they have knowledgeably put defective devices in the hands of consumers, and are not making a quick effort to remedy the situation, I have also stated that sprint wants to replace the devices with refurbished devices, which are valued at a lesser value then a brand new device, and still charge customers for the full price of the brand new device. I have also pointed out that they are stringing customers through the 14 day exchange period claiming it is the network, and then on the 15th day saying it is the device, and making it very difficult to exchange the devices. any way I am encouraging any one who has had issues with their device to file a complaint with the bbb against sprint, as sprint does respond to their complaints on there

jason mackenzie HTC CEO said he'll replace any defective device if you call HTC customer care

hstaab

Dec 17, 2012
jason mackenzie HTC CEO said he'll replace any defective device if you call HTC customer care

Just about to send my phone to HTC for a replacement. Told them specifically not to send me same device even if they found it not be defective, and was told to pay $20 service fee to do so. Really really don't want to see the same device returned to me so I obliged. Called up Sprint and they are giving me $25 credit so I guess I'm just out my time..

Anyone know if HTC would throw a fit if they find my device rooted? I've got the hboot masked as stock and plan to flash stock recovery but wonder if I need to go through the trouble of actually returning device to s-on, stock ROM via nandroid, blah blah as other posts describe.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Just about to send my phone to HTC for a replacement. Told them specifically not to send me same device even if they found it not be defective, and was told to pay $20 service fee to do so. Really really don't want to see the same device returned to me so I obliged. Called up Sprint and they are giving me $25 credit so I guess I'm just out my time..

Anyone know if HTC would throw a fit if they find my device rooted? I've got the hboot masked as stock and plan to flash stock recovery but wonder if I need to go through the trouble of actually returning device to s-on, stock ROM via nandroid, blah blah as other posts describe.

If you're returning the device directly to HTC, I absolutely would return it to completely stock unrooted S-ON condition.

HTC isn't Sprint; there are easy ways to confirm whether your device is S-OFF even with it "masked". Best bet is to restore it to full stock.

Reactions: hstaab

memekmek

Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I get this so error so many times with this device. In my opinion sprint spark is a huge downgrade. The data is worse, the signal is weaker, I'm constantly losing data, and one of the biggest downgrades is no data during a phone call which is essential for me. Seriously, I think the iphone 4 can still do that.

uh60james

Sep 29, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I get this so error so many times with this device. In my opinion sprint spark is a huge downgrade. The data is worse, the signal is weaker, I'm constantly losing data, and one of the biggest downgrades is no data during a phone call which is essential for me. Seriously, I think the iphone 4 can still do that.
Did you install the latest update? That fixed the errors for me.

As of now you will not have any cellular data while on a call with any Spark device. We will probably have to wait for VoLTE until we see that again. Just the way it is.

Reactions: memekmek

memekmek

Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Which update? I'm always jumping between the sprint forum and the general HTC m8 forum so I might have missed it

ooxteme

Nov 6, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

I get that same BS error all the dam time. Its this spark tri-band bs. Looks like the S5 is also seeing the same thing we are over here. I have talked to sprint multiple times with all levels of support. Took the phone to 2 different service centers. All say the same "Nothing wrong with the device". Now "if " they are right the only other thing left is SPARK and its freaking horrible... I had them (sprint) count all the dropped calls to CS in one day and the number was 52!!!! Me calling them and them trying to call me back. Im out of the 14 days but i mean something really needs to be done. Its really getting out of control!

bmoreboy02

Dec 19, 2010
BALTIMORE MD
I think there may be defective devices. My 1st one was all screwed up. Wouldnt connect to my airrave. Would consistantly bounce from 3g to 4g and dropped calls everytime it switched. I got a new one and now the phone works perfect

alexjzim

Mar 10, 2009
Long Island

These DEFINITELY are defective devices. I know because I went through the process.

I ordered the Harman Kardon edition, immediately after receiving I put a glass screen protector and case on. After 5 minutes, It would not connect AT ALL to 3g, getting your same exact error message. I also could not place any phone calls, receiving another attached error message. Texts would come almosy exactly 1 1/2 hours after being sent by the sender.

I switched back to my M7 and reception worked fine (lol). After 2 days of troubleshooting, Sprint ordered me a new M8. After activating the newest One, it immediately connected to 3g, and calls and texts work normally. It is extremely fast switching back and forth between 3g and voice. Signal is the same or better than my M7. Just be careful when all your play apps auto install, 3g coverage in my area couldnt handle it and I thought it was broken again. After letting them install over wifi, speed tests work, browser works, etc

The defective M8 still receives your error message and the one attached. It's going back in a return kit. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-18-18-11-44.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-18-18-11-44.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Screenshot_2014-07-18-17-55-09.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-18-17-55-09.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 191

deakelem

Jul 29, 2012
Houston

looks like a mis configured profile too.. do you have roaming options? if not id reset the phone and go through the activation process again or just do a profile update a few times and reboot.

memekmek

Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
SPRINT?! how is getting rid of data during a phone call an upgrade? NOOOO!!!!!!

Sprint spark brings us back to 1995

Attachments

• 1407266274994.jpg
    1407266274994.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 122

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Count me in on this. Not a happy camper. Two weeks of "it's the towers in your area", an hour + with three levels of tech support from my landline and finally a second trip to a store where a technician actually tested the device and entered an eTicket on my accounting noting my M8 was defective and needed to be replaced.

No TEP? $75 bucks to replace the phone through Sprint or screw around for a few weeks dealing directly with HTC. Why should I have to pay for a defective product that never worked well and progressively deteriorated into a worthless brick? I can't get calls from my customers or email in the field and this is not good for business so I'm desperate. Even though furious at the prospect of paying $75 dollars for a 4 week old phone that didn't work through no fault of my own, for expediency I begrudgingly went ahead and set up getting a replacement. Damn, what a scam!

After it all gets set up and entered into the computer, then the guy tells me they are on backorder and it will be 5 to 7 days before they ship.

I just about lost it but attempted to maintain some degree of civility while expressing my displeasure with this policy, their crap customer service that could care less and that my intention was to contact the BBB and possibly the Attorney General regarding this whole debacle. I know the guy I was speaking to was just doing his job and probably hears a lot of this but his one saving grace was asking me if I still had my old phone.

After confirming they weren't going to bone me an activation fee for bringing my old phone back online and not for the replacement M8 whenever I get it, I am now back on my three year old HTC Evo 4G but at least I can make and receive calls, get texts and have some degree of mobile data connectivity and can get email away from WiFi. In the post-contact texts from Sprint asking about my satisfaction with the recent call, I let them know this was robbery and that I would never recommend anyone ever choose Sprint.

I think I can put TEP on my replacement and trust me, if it doesn't work as expected I'll utilize it to the max and if still not satisfied, feel like this is sufficient grounds to break my contract and go somewhere else. It took days to get my M8 setup just the way I wanted it and I absolutely love it. Too bad I can't use it. :crying:

--Elisabeth

ps

FA43KSF... serial number
    all seems well so far, but should I wait to root? I'd imagine if I root and have an issue they won't replace it........

sent from my HTC M8 using Tapatalk

That's up to you, I did, then just went back to stock ROM and returned the phone. I left the TWRP recovery on it. IDGAF
    I got mine today, not sure if its a refurb or a new one, as they said they slip new ones into the same box as a refurb if they dont have them, so far no issues but it did give me the unable to connect error once...also the DM gave me a refurb tab 3 for free (with no contract) that the store happend to have on hand and appolgized that his store, and sprint kept leading me in diffrent directions so im no longer that pissed at sprint

It should be obvious if it's new. New ones comes in a regular factory box with all accessories. refurbs are phone only.

Some stores might take the phone out.

You can also check it.

Dial ##786# Scroll down to Reconditioned Status.
    What is the worst thing about this is how Sprint is handling it.

Not that broken/defective devices exist or broken towers.

Just that they could give crap about you as a loyal customer.

They treat you like dirt. And they wonder why customers treat them like dirt back.

It's been such a bad experience, it took all the fun out of getting this phone. So they botch something, it happens. It's they handle it like sh$t.

I would have been more content keeping my old M7 phone.

It started off like crap when they kept me on the phone for like an hour when I ordered the thing and tried to upsell a bunch a crap.

And the lady had put a Tablet AND Stylus on my order. I caught her at the end had her take it off. But she left a freaken stylus on there.

It was only $15.00, just small enough to not want to waste another hour on the phone and shipping it back.

Man did that piss me off to start.