[q] my z1s screen is cracked!

Search This thread

BigDnm01

Nov 16, 2010
KANSAS
I don't know why, but I'm sure I didn't do it. My Sony Xperia Z1s C6916, which I bought from T-Mobile USA, suddenly had a crack in the screen, across the screen, left to right. The screen now is unresponsive and keep reading wrong touch controls. I cannot use it anymore.
Now I google it and found it's a well known problem amongst the Xperia Z series user, and that Sony, most of the time, won't recognize that is a manufacturer defect, and won't repair it under warranty.

As much as I hate it, I need to get it fixed. Question is.... to those with a similar problem, did you send your phone in to Sony for Screen replacement on any Z series ( Z, ZL, ZR, Z Ultra, Z1, etc.). To those who paid for the repairs, how much was it? I just wanna know because a local mobile phone repair shop can do it for $150 USD, more or less.
However, as much as I would hate the Sony right now, I trust them for repairing on their own products, resealing it the water-resistant ways, Though you can make sure that I'll treat it like any other phones, water-resistant or not.

What I'm concern about is the cost. Xperia Care online are idiots who can't tell the difference between a Sony Xperia and a Samsung Galaxy.

Also, I contacted Sony via email, twitter and facebook. I asked how and where to send the phone in. None have reply. on via email, they gave me the reference number.
What I need is for them to open a case, RMA form and number, and an address for me to send it to.
They are taking it awfully slow and I'm hating them for it.
If I could choose, I would want to send it straight to Sony HQ in Japan for repairs.

xXFlippyXx

May 17, 2012
I have to deal with support of various manufacturers daily (working as an it professional)

In Germany it's like this:

As end user your reseller must look at the case. If you bought it in a store go there and ask them.

HOWEVER

I've discovered that most of them are stupid and/or non cooperative.

So your best chance is calling the Sony support. Go to their website and look up their telephone number. When you call them you most likely need to give them some kind of serial (imei). After, tell them your problem and you most likely will get a return sticker. Send in your device via mail and get a repaired (or new) I device about a week later.

I've discovered that this way is the fastest and less troublesome way to deal with broken devices

Sent from Xperia Z1

Reactions: BigDnm01

mariussilverwolf

Apr 10, 2009
I'm in a similar situation. TMo US took one look at it and said they won't fix it, and then informed me that I didn't have device protection on my plan (thought I had, grumble grumble) so they can't do anything for me. Called their claims department, was again informed that they cannot do anything for me.

Has anybody had luck with Sony HQ performing repairs? Or, has anybody had any luck with swapping over a clean screen and digitizer from another Z1s? I can follow teardown and rebuild guides to make the swap, and have all the small device tools necessary to swap the screen.

Meanwhile, my wife has no phone until we find some solution ...

BigDnm01

Nov 16, 2010
KANSAS
I'm in a similar situation. TMo US took one look at it and said they won't fix it, and then informed me that I didn't have device protection on my plan (thought I had, grumble grumble) so they can't do anything for me. Called their claims department, was again informed that they cannot do anything for me.

Has anybody had luck with Sony HQ performing repairs? Or, has anybody had any luck with swapping over a clean screen and digitizer from another Z1s? I can follow teardown and rebuild guides to make the swap, and have all the small device tools necessary to swap the screen.

Meanwhile, my wife has no phone until we find some solution ...

I just sent my phone in to Sony Repair @ Laredo, TX, USA. wish me luck,

gtownie

Oct 8, 2010
ATL
I just sent my phone in to Sony Repair @ Laredo, TX, USA. wish me luck,

Subscribing to this thread, because I noticed exactly the same thing yesterday. Took phone out of pocket and the bottom right of the glass is cracked. Not affecting use (for now) because it is in the large bezel area, but I did nothing but take it out of my pocket. Please let us know if it is repaired under warranty by Sony - I know TMo is going to say it was my fault.

HellRoot

Feb 12, 2012
Don't some of you use a leather pouch to protect the phone? It takes most of the pressure on the screen when in the pants or something

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gtownie

Oct 8, 2010
ATL
Don't some of you use a leather pouch to protect the phone? It takes most of the pressure on the screen when in the pants or something

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Never been much of a pouch (or case) user. If I knew the phone glass would crack spontaneously, I probably would have done something different (like not buy it).

LotoTutu

Dec 30, 2013
I don't know why, but I'm sure I didn't do it. My Sony Xperia Z1s C6916, which I bought from T-Mobile USA, suddenly had a crack in the screen, across the screen, left to right. The screen now is unresponsive and keep reading wrong touch controls. I cannot use it anymore.
Now I google it and found it's a well known problem amongst the Xperia Z series user, and that Sony, most of the time, won't recognize that is a manufacturer defect, and won't repair it under warranty.

As much as I hate it, I need to get it fixed. Question is.... to those with a similar problem, did you send your phone in to Sony for Screen replacement on any Z series ( Z, ZL, ZR, Z Ultra, Z1, etc.). To those who paid for the repairs, how much was it? I just wanna know because a local mobile phone repair shop can do it for $150 USD, more or less.
However, as much as I would hate the Sony right now, I trust them for repairing on their own products, resealing it the water-resistant ways, Though you can make sure that I'll treat it like any other phones, water-resistant or not.

What I'm concern about is the cost. Xperia Care online are idiots who can't tell the difference between a Sony Xperia and a Samsung Galaxy.

Also, I contacted Sony via email, twitter and facebook. I asked how and where to send the phone in. None have reply. on via email, they gave me the reference number.
What I need is for them to open a case, RMA form and number, and an address for me to send it to.
They are taking it awfully slow and I'm hating them for it.
If I could choose, I would want to send it straight to Sony HQ in Japan for repairs.

If you want to save a lot, you can try to replace the screen by yourself. But it is hard job...
Share a Z1 repair guide with u. Hope it can help you.

BigDnm01

Nov 16, 2010
KANSAS
Sony fixed my cracked phone, free of charge. I guess it was under warranty. They didn't even contacted me, they just ship it back to me with a UPS tracking number.

Reactions: gtownie

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Sony fixed my cracked phone, free of charge. I guess it was under warranty. They didn't even contacted me, they just ship it back to me with a UPS tracking number.

Wow you really got lucky! Either that, or Sony knows there's a problem with their phones and don't want to get into a whole debacle about it.

BigDnm01

Nov 16, 2010
KANSAS
Wow you really got lucky! Either that, or Sony knows there's a problem with their phones and don't want to get into a whole debacle about it.

I really feel I lucked out. I was thinking I need to pay 200-300 USD for repairs and was dreading it. I even didn't wanted to send it in because I didn't have the money to spare.

gtownie

Oct 8, 2010
ATL

Any idea how long after they received it you got that tracking number? They've had mine for a little over a week and I'm just curious. Thanks

kentexcitebot

Mar 30, 2014
Moorpark
If you want to save a lot, you can try to replace the screen by yourself. But it is hard job...
Share a Z1 repair guide with u. Hope it can help you.
This is a good method to reduce cost, but you'll have a higher chance in losing your water / dust resistance. You can also damage your phone if you're not careful. Not sure if people really care about the resistances though.

I sent my phone in to Laredo as well, my phone didn't have a warranty associated to it and they replaced the screen (along with some other parts) for free. If you want water/dust resistance, shell in the $25 for inspection / shipping and see what they'll charge you. For me they just repaired it without leaving an email or phone call. If they charge you an unreasonable price ($150 < x) then have them send it back to you and repair it yourself or have a third-party vendor do it for you.

Last edited:

LotoTutu

Dec 30, 2013
This is a good method to reduce cost, but you'll have a higher chance in losing your water / dust resistance. You can also damage your phone if you're not careful. Not sure if people really care about the resistances though.

In fact , the Sony customer support can't guarantee water resistance either after disassemble your Z1s.

Jonas740

Apr 17, 2014
The oem precut adhesive should not cause any problems with ruining your ip58 waterproof.

I've done lcd swaps and it should be properly sealed if you use that. As I've read, brand new Z1s have leaked water aswell so it might be about luck.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app

facemymusic

Oct 26, 2008
Houston
My Sony Xperia Z1s C6916, which I bought from T-Mobile USA, suddenly had a crack in the screen, across the screen, left to right.

This just happened to my bf's z1s. He put it in his pocket when he got out of the car, walked into our apt, and when he took the phone out it was completely cracked and the screen was unresponsive.

He's sending it out today be checked by Sony. The rep made it VERY clear that the "engineers" would look at the phone and determine if it was a manufacture defect or not. If it was a defect, they'd fix it and return it. If not, then they'll call and discuss repair options.

You might not be able to tell from the photos, but the cracks are under the glass, and it's clear that it's not do to user abuse. Hopefully the "engineers" see it the same way.

Posts like these helped convince us that sending the phone to Sony was worth a shot, so I just wanted to share our experience. I hope he has the same success you did with getting it fixed. I'll update in a couple of weeks on the verdict.

PS: for anyone else that faces this issue, TMO insurance will not cover this without a $150 deductible. We were told that regardless of what caused the crack, they don't exchange phones with cracked screens. The TMO rep we talked to def didn't believe that the crack happened spontaneously. Don't waste your time.

Attachments

• DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Reactions: BigDnm01

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you tried calling them? Their customer service is very good.

Sent from my C6916 using xda app-developers app
    I have to deal with support of various manufacturers daily (working as an it professional)

In Germany it's like this:

As end user your reseller must look at the case. If you bought it in a store go there and ask them.

HOWEVER

I've discovered that most of them are stupid and/or non cooperative.

So your best chance is calling the Sony support. Go to their website and look up their telephone number. When you call them you most likely need to give them some kind of serial (imei). After, tell them your problem and you most likely will get a return sticker. Send in your device via mail and get a repaired (or new) I device about a week later.

I've discovered that this way is the fastest and less troublesome way to deal with broken devices

Sent from Xperia Z1
    I really feel I lucked out. I was thinking I need to pay 200-300 USD for repairs and was dreading it. I even didn't wanted to send it in because I didn't have the money to spare.

Well ok then. Looks like it is time to try and find a backup phone to use for a week or so while I send mine in.
    In about 2 weeks, i remember i sent it via fedex 4-11, they receive it 4-15 and i received the tracking number on the 25th.