[Q] Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Search This thread

gub

Apr 18, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I don't understand peoples who make things more complicated that can be...when u can find so many small wifi router even with mobile battery.in a wire LESS world u want to use meters of wires for what?it's a mobile phone not a desktop pc with so many wires.
Of course it's easy to work around the problem, routers like the TP-Link TL-MR3020 are small, relatively cheap and easy to hack.
But this is XDA-developers and I think the whole point of this community is to make things work, even if there are workarounds that are easier.

Dec 9, 2012
So no solution? My smartdock is connected to my tv, logitech k400, 2 external harddisk (using powered usb), eyetv micro, loudspeaker,... I have tried to use the apple usb ethernet adapter, but nothing happens. I just wish to replace my desktop with my note... :)

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

my bad.... there is another thread with possible solution already : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2434706 .... Sorry...

Sm!th

Jan 6, 2012
I don't understand peoples who make things more complicated that can be...when u can find so many small wifi router even with mobile battery.in a wire LESS world u want to use meters of wires for what?it's a mobile phone not a desktop pc with so many wires.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Because I work in IT and have to activate/test Ethernet jacks, it would be sooooo easy to test if a jack is already live via my smartphone. Without this awesome adapter, I am forced to carry around a heavy laptop or bum one off of somebody at the convention center. Simple common sense.

j3a01

Jan 6, 2007
Because I work in IT and have to activate/test Ethernet jacks, it would be sooooo easy to test if a jack is already live via my smartphone. Without this awesome adapter, I am forced to carry around a heavy laptop or bum one off of somebody at the convention center. Simple common sense.

me too, i always test, config switch cisco in my company, if usb to lan can use on note 2 then it's very very useful less with me.

khaox

Oct 20, 2013
is it possible

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has figured this out, or if it is even possible. Could one maybe take the code from the kernel of a device with ethernet connection support, and add it to an existing Note 2 kernel? I'm sure that wouldn't be as easy as copy and pasting the code, but if it is technically possible I would be more than happy to do it and share it with the community. I have some basic linux, android, and programming experience, and it at least seems plausible. It would be great to have this functionality.
I hope this topic still gets attention, it has been brought up many times on different forums across the web but no one seems to have figured it out yet.
-Khaox

Last edited:

ralphsims

Apr 19, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has figured this out, or if it is even possible. Could one maybe take the code from the kernel of a device with ethernet connection support, and add it to an existing Note 2 kernel? I'm sure that wouldn't be as easy as copy and pasting the code, but if it is technically possible I would be more than happy to do it and share it with the community. I have some basic linux, android, and programming experience, and it at least seems plausible. It would be great to have this functionality.
I hope this topic still gets attention, it has been brought up many times on different forums across the web but no one seems to have figured it out yet.
-Khaox

If someone has a rooted Note 2 (or 3) would you please put an Ethernet adapter on the USB port (probably need an OTG adapter) and run 'netcfg'? It will tell you if there's an Ethernet port recognized (probably would show up as eth0). If so, there are netcfg commands that can be run to put the device in DHCP mode (or even static IP addressing). If so, someone might be able to write a couple of shell scripts to assist in addressing.

Last edited:

scvjohnny

Jan 4, 2014
Solution found

Any word on this? Anyone testing anything?

DeBoX, your post motivated me enough to take a half an hour to sit down and solve this SGN2 ethernet-thru-USB issue. I use my SGN2 as my desktop PC using Nova Launcher to set up my android desktop icons and Tasker to auto configure the phone to "desktop mode" when docked. I generally use Windows7 on my SGN2 using bVNC into a Proxmox VM and it all works very well.

These are the simple steps I took to achieve a full Ethernet connection to my SGN2 when docked:

1) Connect your Ethernet cable into a Ethernet USB adapter.
2) Connect the Ethernet USB adapter into one of the USB port in your dock.
3) Launch terminal and type netcfg.
4) See if eth0 shows up in the list and it will be DOWN. Thats normal and expected.
5) Create a script as follows:

#!/system/bin/sh
echo "Initializing eth0 LAN"
Sleep 10
ifconfig eth0 192.168.XXX.XXX netmask 255.255.XXX.XXX
route add default gw 192.168.XXX.XXX dev eth0
setprop net.dns1 192.168.XXX.XXX
echo "eth0 LAN to SGN2 compete"

6) Run the script.
7) Enjoy the speed of an Ethernet connection. :cool:

Option: I launch this script from Tasker when docked so it happens automatically.

I hope this helps you and everyone else who wants to realize the full capacity of a docked SGN2.

Thanks,

scvjohnny

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Hi

First off, love you mate!! Big love!

did as you said , but can't seem to find eth0 , dosen't pop up in the list

tried 2 otg cables ( though I think both are 5 pins, mater?) and 3 diff ethernet usb adapters ( 2 worked with my TF201)

Suggestions?

Do you need root?

Last edited:

parminder1532

Dec 18, 2012
i also tried the terminal method but eth0 not shown.... any other way out for ethernet connection or we need to buy dock station as i don't need dock station all i just want to check line(ethernet wall socket) is alive or not!

thank you

mkanet

Jul 31, 2010
There are times where I need to configure my Internet router/ethernet switch for the first time; which needs a wired connection. It would be nice to just plug my phone into the router via Ethernet without any hassle; at least for rooted stock ROMs.

Its too bad there isn't an app (for rooted stock ROMs) that add the necessary drivers and automatically configure TCPIP for it.

ralphsims

Apr 19, 2009
Seattle, WA
Note 3 revisited

If someone has a rooted Note 2 (or 3) would you please put an Ethernet adapter on the USB port (probably need an OTG adapter) and run 'netcfg'? It will tell you if there's an Ethernet port recognized (probably would show up as eth0). If so, there are netcfg commands that can be run to put the device in DHCP mode (or even static IP addressing). If so, someone might be able to write a couple of shell scripts to assist in addressing.

I got an ethernet adapter to work on the Note 3. Remember to put the device in airplane mode so as not to conflict with already-assigned addresses. I'm having a problem getting DNS to work, but I can ping out via IP. You need to root the device (I used towelroot--easy and does not trip the knox counter).

netcfg eth0 up
netcfg eth0 dhcp
ip route add 0.0.0.0/0 via <your router's IP here>
setprop net.dns1 4.2.2.2 (doesn't work)

My Tab 2 7.0 won't see an adapter. I'll have to work on that one some more.

david007co

Nov 18, 2008
This are the ports I got

DeBoX, your post motivated me enough to take a half an hour to sit down and solve this SGN2 ethernet-thru-USB issue. I use my SGN2 as my desktop PC using Nova Launcher to set up my android desktop icons and Tasker to auto configure the phone to "desktop mode" when docked. I generally use Windows7 on my SGN2 using bVNC into a Proxmox VM and it all works very well.

These are the simple steps I took to achieve a full Ethernet connection to my SGN2 when docked:

4) See if eth0 shows up in the list and it will be DOWN. Thats normal and expected.

scvjohnny

Hi, I just get this when I type netcfg:

lo UP 127.0.0.1/8 0x00000049
00:00:00:00:00:00
sit0 DOWN 0.0.0.0/0
0X00000080 00:00:00:00:00:00
ip6tnl0 DOWN 0.0.0.0/0
0X00000080 00:00:00:00:00:00
rmnet0 DOWN 0.0.0.0/0
0X00001090 00:00:00:00:00:00
rmnet1 DOWN 0.0.0.0/0
rmnet2 DOWN 0.0.0.0/0
p2p0 UP 0.0.0.0/0 0x00001003
(A MAC ADDRESS)
wlan0 UP 192.168.0.8/24
(A MAC ADDRESS)

How can I accomplish the ethernet recognition...

Thank you.

jecogite

May 16, 2015
Same DNS problem

I got an ethernet adapter to work on the Note 3. Remember to put the device in airplane mode so as not to conflict with already-assigned addresses. I'm having a problem getting DNS to work, but I can ping out via IP. You need to root the device (I used towelroot--easy and does not trip the knox counter).

netcfg eth0 up
netcfg eth0 dhcp
ip route add 0.0.0.0/0 via <your router's IP here>
setprop net.dns1 4.2.2.2 (doesn't work)

My Tab 2 7.0 won't see an adapter. I'll have to work on that one some more.

Hello
I have exactly the same problem
I have installed ethernet droid to ON/OFF the eth0 connection.
It works, I get IP, mask, gateway and DNS (8.8.8.8).
I have forced the DNS to 192.168.1.1 (my internet box)
But the problem is same: I can't ping google but I can ping the google IP.
I can even ping 8.8.8.8
Very strange.
The only way to make it works is to turn on the wifi and then turn it off.
This action seems like the wifi provides the good DNS activation then after turned it OFF, ethernet cable works fine.
Have you found a solution for this ?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

mrkapqa

May 26, 2015

#!/system/bin/sh
Sleep 10

6) Run the script.

Option: I launch this script from Tasker when docked so it happens automatically.

I hope this helps you and everyone else who wants to realize the full capacity of a docked SGN2.

Thanks,

scvjohnny

could you please explain this once more - i am trying to replicate this on my Galaxy note 3. I just have a Micro-Usb-to Ethernet Adapter.

Do i need a Powered USB Hub or what do i need exactly to make this happen?

thanks, ricci

Diim

Feb 26, 2011
I had not been able to make it work on my GN2.
But for those who moved to Lollipop, it seems system properties (like those one we configure through setprop net.dns1 ...) had been depreciated as mentionned here.
It seems those commands are ignored and that dns properties must be set using ndc resolver setnetdns commands, like:
Code:
ndc resolver setnetdns eth0 "" 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

reis1996

#!/system/bin/sh
Sleep 10

6) Run the script.

Thanks,

scvjohnny
By "dock" you mean the USB port on the phone right for some other device

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution found

Any word on this? Anyone testing anything?

#!/system/bin/sh
    Sleep 10

6) Run the script.

Thanks,

scvjohnny
    But why u want something like that while u have wifi and kies air? What thinga u canot do through wifi?

↖(^▽^)↗ Sent from Rego Galaxy Note ↖(^▽^)↗

I don't want to use WiFi because i don't. Simple as that.
    Have anyone found something to solve this problem?
    Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Hi folks ;)

usb to ethernet seems to work on Android for some, I guess hardware and operating system (embedded drivers?) have to match this device

For my Asus Transformer I can use their ethernet adapter by simply plug it in.
    On my Samsung Note 2 JB 4.1 nothing happens...

Would rooting help?
    Anyone managed to have it work?

I know that wifi is a much easier method but it's good to know it doesn't work on this device :D :laugh:

Sorry for my bad english, I'll try to improve :)

these items works on the Transformer with JB 4.1
    Code:
     img716.imageshack.us/img716/7829/dsc0891800.jpg
    Oops, no external links for noobs :D

thanks ;)
    Hi folks ;)
    usb to ethernet seems to work on Android for some, I guess hardware and operating system (embedded drivers?) have to match this device

For my Asus Transformer I can use their ethernet adapter by simply plug it in.
    On my Samsung Note 2 JB 4.1 nothing happens...

Would rooting help?
    Anyone managed to have it work?

As discussed above it did not work with N2.
    I think Renthal (message #8) and el56 (message #9) are right.
    We need kernel for Note2 (N7100) that supports this feature.
    But still nobody has found the ROM or Kernel for GT-N7100, which correctly work with USB Ethernet adapter.
    Only root will not help.
    Yeah, I really need that feature too.
    I have 2 young daugthers and my wife doesn't want to hear about wifi or 3G at home, cause of health concerns.

And in addition, I work in a company where wireless connections are not allowed for security reasons.

So Ethernet connection through USB adaptateur is almost the only option for me.

But isn't it possible to install drivers on an androids smartphone, as we usually do on PC ?
    (Sorry for the newb question)