[GUIDE] EVO 3D root/S-OFF/downgrade to bootloader 1.49 (Wire Trick)[NOOB FRIENDLY]

Search This thread

g3ar

Dec 18, 2012
Nasice
Man go buy empty DVD ,download ubuntu 32 bit burn it like u burn Windows . insert it in DVD ROM and launch like live CD. It would not make any changes to your current Windows .

xevil87

Dec 12, 2010
thx 4 the guide, very useful. /b/ro tip: i had a problems with the drivers, i think with windows 8.1 there are some problems about them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Index:
    1st post: Root the HTC EVO 3D
    2nd post: S-OFF and completely unlock the EVO 3D

Rooting the HTC EVO 3D
    When it comes to only rooting the device, it works somewhat as easy as a nexus.
    To the users who are already familiar with rooting, the (very) quick instructions are as follows:
    ► Unlock bootloader from htcdev.com
    ► Flash custom recovery
    ► Flash root
    ►► Easy huh? though so.

For the completely unfamiliar users, here's the real deal:

Prerequisites:
    ► You need ADB and fastboot: get the SDK from HERE that has it all.
    ► Alternatively: get the portable ADB and fastboot from HERE, but i don't offer support for those. (Thanks for the mysterious user who uploaded them to box).
    ► You need either 4EXT or CWM recoveries... your choice (thanks @monx®)
    ► You need the root binary, get SuperSU zip file.

Unlock the Bootloader:
    ► After setting it all up, pick up your EVO 3D, go to settings, development options, and turn on USB Debugging.
    ► Open up a cmd on PC, and type this:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    ►► This will make the phone reboot to bootloader.
    ► After it has booted, hit the power button to go to fastboot (don't press and hold, just press a small click)
    ► If you see FASTBOOT at the top, and not FASTBOOT USB, click the volume buttons to go up and down so that the screen refreshes into FASTBOOT USB at the top... if that makes any sense :D
    ► Type this into the cmd:
    Code:
    fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    ►► This will give you a bunch of numbers, i can't explain this better than HTCDevs themselves, so go exactly HERE and follow their guide (you need to be signed in to their website to be able to view the instructions)
    ► So after you hit submit and get the unlock_code.bin do this:
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    ►► Again.. HERE is the HTC guide, but in short: after executing this command, use the volume buttons to select yes, and press the power button to select it.
    ►► I cannot stress this enough... THE ABOVE STEP WILL WIPE ALL OF YOUR DATA!!!... Should i make this a size 7? you won't like it.
    Flash a custom recovery:
    ►► You have two options for recoveries here: 4EXT, and CWM (or ClockWorkMod). Personally, i prefer 4EXT.
    ► Execute this command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery NAME.img
    ►► NAME is the actual name of your recovery .img file.
    R00T!
    ► You're now in fastboot, highlight bootloader and press the power button
    ►► You should wait a bit for the unlocked bootloader to make its scans
    ► Select recovery from there and press the power button to boot to it
    ► Remember the SuperSU zip file we downloaded earlier? We need to put that on the phone's sdcard. Two ways:
    1) Take out the sdcard from the phone, plug it in the PC, and put the zip there
    2) Toggle USB storage (for 4EXT) or mount USB storage (for CWM) while plugged in to the PC to access the sdcard from there and put the zip there
    ► Now hit back till you get to the first menu
    ► Select install zip from sdcard
    ► Choose zip from sdcard
    ► Look for the SuperSu zip file and select it, then hit yes
    ►► After flashing, comes the REALLY hard part:
    ► Hit back to the first menu
    ► Select reboot system now (VERY hard! :p )

You're rooted!
    I followed these steps, everything was a success, but i m having problem flashing recovery image in fastboot? 4ext? I cannot seem to find this file i need? Other i have tried just hangs. It says my device is not rooted. So do i need to flash recovery before it' rooted?

Thanks.

Here you can find the latest 4ext. Flash it and you can install every rom. Root is not required because all custom roms are pre-rooted.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery 4EXT_Recovery_Touch_v1.0.0.6_RC1.img

Sent from my Evo 3D
    Why another guide? Well... I didn't find any guide that really helped me understand what i should do to update from ICS to JB or KK or whatever... So i started doing things by myself, i did it with 2 3 HTC Evo 3Ds and both worked fine at the end, so i started writing this guide... have fun! Thread also available at rirozizo.blogspot.com (WITH PICTURES!)

Scenario: You're on ICS, latest update, latest bootloader. You're either on stock ROM, or custom ROM. Your bootloader is locked or unlocked. You're S-ON.

Solution: S-OFF your bootloader, downgrade it, get ICS+ ROMs (like JB or KK)

Time to do the process: I did it in 1 Hour 15 Minutes

Requirements: Linux OS (either native, dual booted (ME!), or LiveCD... You pick), HTC Evo 3D, USB Cable (with data transfer support), an internet connection for the downloads, an microSD, and wire.

WARNING: It is important to backup all the contents that are on your microSD before doing anything. I did the wire trick on two Evo 3Ds, and one of them corrupted the microSD, so we had to format it.

Now let's start.

►In Linux, download adb and fastboot using "sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb" and "sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot".

►Download THIS flashable root .zip file (don't extract that... please)

►Download juopunutbear's (Call that "juo" :p ) wire trick script HERE and extract it. (pick the appropriate .tgz file for your device)

►Download a ROM to your liking (ICS, JB, KK, Froyo... you can do anything after this guide :D )

►Transfer both the ROM and the root to your phone... keep juo on PC

►Go to unlimited.io and learn how to do the wire trick there.

►Download THIS PG86IMG.zip file, DON'T DO ANYTHING TO IT!

Note: To flash on Rogers, you can just mod the model ID from PG8630000 to PG8631000 in the zip file, so sometimes you should DO something :p

Backup if you need to

►►You can backup your apps using any app-backup app, we won't go through it
    ►►Go to recovery
    ►Type "adb reboot recovery"
    ►►Make a NANDROID Backup
    ►Go to "backup and restore", and backup.
    ►►It took 733 seconds to finish the huge backup i was doing... so yeah... take a bath or something in the mean time.
    ►PLEASE, transfer the backups you made to your PC, don't leave them on the microSD just to be on the safe side

Get to stock rooted (Skip if you're already on stock)

If you're on a custom ROM, you'll need to flash stock... not just any stock... but RUU stock.

►Get the RUU that is for your phone (you may google that)
    ►►Here's a tip: type "fastboot getvar all" and look for "(bootloader) version-main:"... check the number next to it, and download the RUU that has that number.

Now flash RUU... flash? yes... FLASH!! How? via fastboot... What? Yes!

►Get to fastboot (turn the phone off, hold power and volume down), plug it in the PC

►Type this in a terminal "fastboot oem lock"
    ►►Now your bootloader is locked, we can flash RUU
    ►Open up the RUU.exe from windows
    ►Hit next two times (you're gonna have to check some checkboxes too), and leave it open
    ►►Don't start any process from it, just keep it there
    ►Open a file explorer (Like My Computer, or whatever...)
    ►Type in the path textbox "%TEMP%"
    ►Sort the files by "date modified" and open the first folder you see there
    ►►You'll see a bunch of files there, and probably a folder too
    ►Look for "rom.zip" (you might even go to that folder too to check inside it)
    ►Copy "rom.zip" to somewhere easily accessible
    ►►Now back to linux
    ►Type "fastboot erase cache"
    ►Once that's done type "fastboot oem rebootRUU"
    ►►You'll see a black screen with a silver HTC in the middle
    ►Type "fastboot flash zip X" where X is the path to the rom.zip file we got earlier.
    ►Now leave it there
    ►►It took me 426.617 seconds for the process to finish... you may go eat something... maybe relax in the bathroom if you want
    ►►Now once the terminal says it's done, you might see the HTC green progress bar stuck at 95%... don't worry, it's nothing... it's a bug in RUU mode, so just type "fastboot reboot" and you'll reboot to stock ROM.

I'm on stock ROM... now what?

ROOT DAT STOCK! (Optional, but i did it just in case)

►►So now we need to root the stock ROM we have.
    ►►To root, we need to unlock bootloader first.
    ►Go to htcdev.com and follow the guide there to unlock your bootloader

►Once that's done, download THIS recovery and flash in fastboot it using "fastboot flash recovery cwm.img"

►Once that's done, hit "BOOTLOADER" in the list (using the power button), wait for about 5 seconds, then hit "RECOVERY"
    ►►You're now in CWM recovery.

►►Now that you're inside the recovery, volume up is up, volume down is down, power is enter
    ►Go to install zip from sdcard
    ►Choose zip from sdcard
    ►Locate the root .zip file we transfered earlier
    ►Hit the "yes" button hidden between these "no no no" buttons :p
    ►►You might want to repeat the flashing process if it gives an error... Second time is guaranteed to work
    ►►You're now rooted.

►"***Go back***" to the first menu, and "reboot system now".

S-OFF

►Once booted, go to settings, developer options, and enable USB debugging there
    ►Then in linux, navigate to where we extracted juo's zip, and open a terminal there
    ►Type these commands "chmod 755 ControlBear" and hit enter
    ►The type "./ControlBear" and hit enter
    ►►Now it'll guide you through... it keeps saying "beer beer"... yeah... the dev likes to have fun, like me :p

►When it says "Do the wire trick now" do it (using unlimited.io's guide).

IMPORTANT: If the script errors out with a "Still sober" error... just redo the script, it'll succeed then...

FINALLY, YOU ARE S-OFFed... too much caps huh? oh well... It was a long process... you can start feel the sense of accomplishment there.

Downgrade to BL 1.49

►►Now to downgrade bootloader to 1.49....

►►Remember that PG86IMG.zip file?
    ►Put it on the root of your sdcard (so don't put it inside any folder)
    ►Boot to bootloader
    ►Press BOOTLOADER button...
    ►Now we wait until the installation is finished... of course, press YES when it says so.
    ►►You're now on bootloader 1.49, S-OFFed, and with a custom recovery...

Well? What are you waiting for? Go flash a Kitkat ROM! GO!!

NOTE: You might wanna get 4EXT recovery to be able to flash kitkat ROMs, good luck!
    Good but if you want KK ROM, you must use the latest 4EXT recovery touch, otherwise it will fail :)
    Also this recovery is much easier for use then CWM :)
    i S-OFFed two EVOs, both were on KingCobra ICS ROM... so don't assume stock...

Sent from my Nexus 4

Yep, but if someone is already on stock, he could skip the ruu step.
    Also it's not necessary to root the stock rom when you want to flash a custom rom that is already rooted.
    I did the steps as follows (in short):
    - unlock bootloader (the htcdev method)
    - do the wire trick (controlbear)
    - flash the juopunutbear hboot in fastboot (1.49.9999)
    - flash the recovery image in fastboot (latest 4ext)
    - flsh any custom rom
    Starting point on both phones was stock ics locked, s-on, hboot 1.53.0007

Don't get me wrong, I only wanted to help to get your guide a little leaner.